No low beams...

HTUSA

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Ok so I have done a little searching and haven't found anything regarding my issue.
I have 2008 TB. The low beams are not working. I have replaced the #46 relay in the fuse box and that didn't fix it.
I have high beams fog etc.

What is my next step? The ambient light sensor? Where do I find it?

Thanks

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Did you get the new relay from the dealer? There have been reports of on dealer relays not working which is usually the problem when you lose low beams and the high beams still work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would also assume that you checked the fuses? Also check the ground wires. Download the manuals in my signature and look at the schematics to where you should be checking.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Do you have a meter, or a test light? You're gonna need to check for voltage at different sections of the circuit between the relay, fuses, connectors going into the headlights, and bulbs.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Do you have a meter, or a test light? You're gonna need to check for voltage at different sections of the circuit between the relay, fuses, connectors going into the headlights, and bulbs.

Adding to this... MAY03LT has a pretty good video covering what to look for and where when it comes to the electrical troubleshooting

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Your ambient light sensor is located in the center of your dash between the vents near the windshield.

What bulbs are you running for your low beams, LEDs, HIDs, or halogens?

Have you started with the most basic step and tried to install a known good 9006 halogen or did you jump straight to the relay? If you suspect the new relay to be bad, you can always try to swap in the fan clutch relay.

How well is your TB holding up in Antarctica?

HTUSA

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Ok so this happened while traveling home one evening. I bought the new relay as I don't have a fan clutch relay. I only have the one for the HDM. I know both lights are good. These are the stock lights.
I was having this problem intermittently when it got cold earlier this year. It has been warm the past few weeks and everything worked fine.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Check the connections to the bulb and make sure you did not burn the sockets up.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Do you have access to a DMM or test light as suggested earlier? That test will help you isolate where the issue is coming from.

Reactions: Blckshdw

HTUSA

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Do you have access to a DMM or test light as suggested earlier? That test will help you isolate where the issue is coming from.
Yup. I'll diagnosis tomorrow and report back.

Check the connections to the bulb and make sure you did not burn the sockets up.
They are not burnt out or they don't show the appearance of being burnt out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: stickypoop

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I was talking about the connectors being melted. I would definitely check the bulbs as well. Do not leave anything out at this point.

HTUSA

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I completely forgot to report back.
I "fixed" the issue.
I unplugged everything, double checked connections, bulbs, etc....
I meter tested at the bulb plugs and couldnt find any power. I traced it all back to the solid relay switch.
I pulled the switch, cleaned the prongs with a wire brush. I then blew compressed air through the fuse box connections. Plugged it all back and the lights came back on.
I have been running it for over a week and not a single shut off. I guess there must of been some trash in the plug.
Thanks for the help. Now Im off to diagnose the thermostat. The dummy gauge is showing some inaccurate readings. Especially when I get on the gas, I can watch the temp gauge drop to roughly 160, then when I let off it slowly climbs back to right under 210.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks for reporting back, glad you got your headlights working again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online