No crank no start please help

jasonwfryling

Original poster
Aug 19, 2023
Bremerton
Gonna make this short and sweet I've got an 04 trailblazer lt with the inline 6 I just replaced the flywheel battery water pump spark plugs and did an oil change it has 215000 on it I've replaced the transmission it's got a 1000 wat sub system my problem is it won't run I've tried everything when I turn my key into the on position all the lights everything comes on just fine but when I turn the key to crank everything just dies and won't come back unless I wait a couple hours no crank nothin I've checked the main battery fuse I don't wanna scrap her but she making me lose it when I replaced the transmission it developed this horrible fast knock no not engine knock something coming from the flywheel I think it somehow hits on the starter I've hooked my code reader up to it and the only codes it's throwing is for my emissions systems monitors every one please help I'm no real mechanic ive taught myself pretty much all I know now

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
First guess would be a damaged starter. Any burning smell or electrical arcing sounds? Is the battery fully charged? Is it throwing actual codes (if so, which) or is it saying the emissions readiness monitors are incomplete (which would happen if the battery dies).

Try this test: with the battery fully charged, remove the starter relay and try cranking. If the starter is bad the lights will stay on and nothing dies.

If it is the starter then you will need to determine why/how (e.g. damaged flex plate) the starter became damaged.

Tony's_04

Jul 22, 2023
Michigan
Not to sound too simplistic but have you looked into the possibility of a dead battery?

Otherwise, as mentioned in the previous post, I would suspect the starter. If you have a vice, clamp in carefully and bench test it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

I would check the battery, all fuses and then the ignition switch.

We also have an extensive FAQ. Check the link in my signature.

jasonwfryling

Original poster
Aug 19, 2023
Bremerton
First guess would be a damaged starter. Any burning smell or electrical arcing sounds? Is the battery fully charged? Is it throwing actual codes (if so, which) or is it saying the emissions readiness monitors are incomplete (which would happen if the battery dies).

Try this test: with the battery fully charged, remove the starter relay and try cranking. If the starter is bad the lights will stay on and nothing dies.

If it is the starter then you will need to determine why/how (e.g. damaged flex plate) the starter became damaged.
When it cranks there's a single arc kinda sound then nothing but no smells nothing I've checked the battery with my meter it's reading 12.34 volts consistently even with my jumpack hooked up but I'll try that relay test and report back thank you

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So it does.try to crank. Try jumping the starter relay. If you get the same arcing and attempted crank, I would suspect the starter or the battery.

The battery might be bad regardless of voltage being read. Have it tested at a parts store. I've seen batteries reading good voltage but couldn't crank.

Reactions: ar7

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree with everyone. 12.34 volts means it is about 50% charged, which is VERY weak. If it reads the same with the jump pack connected, I would be very suspicious of the battery cables. Have you ever needed to reset the clock?

The only way to test the battery, assuming the cables are good and the connections are tight, is a load test. This can be done quick and usually free at most garages and auto parts stores.

Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Have you tried to turn the engine (key off) by hand using a wrench wherever you can get to? Just to confirm it is not frozen for some reason?

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online