New TWO stroke Mazda engine, looks promising!

Redbeard

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Mazda has patented a new TWO stroke engine, "it combines everything. Valves like a 4-stroke engine that allow precse control of the gas flow. Diesel EGR system, which reuses gases to deep compression high (like 16 to 1. ) and lower emmisions. One spark per RPM, like 2-stroke engines, doubling the use of the cylinder and reducing the size of the engine. No oil burned. Air compressor like a 2-stroke diesel. Skyactiv system to increase the performace of each drop of gasoline and burn it as if it were a diesel. Achieving more efficiency. And finally, a very high compression ratio, close to 16 to 1."
This looks promising, here is a youtube video about it:
I hope they are using real irridium spark plugs. lol.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I'm a lover of 2 cycles....but I'm afraid many just don't see it as I do. Just saying 2 stroke in this day sends the climate activists into the streets. Any company that builds this might be committing suicide as many won't buy it. If it has any chance, it will be in power sports like snow mobiles where a power dense design is a must.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I too admire the designs of the original "Double Acting" Two Stroke (Diesel Engines) designed as early as 1899... for Diesel (Yup... By THE MAN Himself) Powered applications beginning with two "Meek and Mild" variants at the Turn of The Nineteenth Century. The first one being a 12HP version and later a milder 7 HP version. What is THE Advantage? A Two Stroke Engine produces its POWER STROKE within 360 Degrees of Crankshaft Rotation... Whereas a Four Stroke Motor requires 720 Degrees to accomplish the same thing.

However, when their country (Germany) was up to its neck in the First World War THEY Started with their Militant Kaiser around fourteen years later, the "Krauts" had perfected one particular In-Line Six Cylinder Diesel Motor that was Producing well over 12,000 HP... and they even had Diesel Engine Variants for Powering Aircraft.

So the Japanese...clever though they may be... are coming very late to the party on THIS one.... (Wakane Mas Ka?) and these "Old Boys" did NOT require any "Iridium" Spark Plugs neither, because when Air is Compressed to 16-18 to 1 Compression Ratio...it Super Heats...and as soon as Diesel Fuel is injected under VERY High Pressure into the Hemispherical Domed Combustion Chambers... it instantly DETONATES at near TDC and creates that familiar "Bag of Marbles" Rattling Noise from the High Pressure Shock Waves that all Diesel Motors create in this odd manner of Diesel Powered Combustion ...carrying with it a VERY Heavy Penalty of using a Dirty (BUT.. Energy RICH) Carbon Laden Fuel Consumption in general as a result.

"There is Nothing NEW ...Under The Sun..." -- Ecclesiastes 1:9

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online