New stereo install, unhooking battery an issue?

barn9

Original poster
May 20, 2014
Kansas
Have a new radio, speakers, and install goodies on the way from Crutchfield,
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X599 stereo unit
Pold Audio db651s speakers (4)
Scosche GM1583B dash kit
CRUX SOCGM-17 wiring interface
Metra 40-GM10 antenna adapter
Metra 72-4568 speaker wiring harness (pair in set)
Scosche SAC-656 multipurpose speaker mounting brackets

Hopefully that is all I need to replace my stock non-Bose radio that has been having issues as of late, along with speakers that have quit working. I do, however, have a question for any of you that have made this change.

Did unhooking the battery while doing the installation cause any problems?

I have read previously about issues with things like actuators after unhooking the battery, and I don't want to open up a can of worms if I don't have to. I have a small battery saver, but that seems as though it would defeat the idea of cutting the power to the stereo. Don't want to fry a new stereo, so now you know my dilemma. What did you guys do?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't disconnect my battery if I'm unplugging connectors, only if I'm splicing wires where a short on a live wire could happen. That's just my preference.

You're not going to fry your head unit either way, disconnecting it vs using the memory saver.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I usually unhook the battery just to be safe. I just hook it up to test components once they are wired and good to go. You can leave it unhooked until everything is wired up, test the system, then make everything pretty again.

But shdw is right on the money.

barn9

Original poster
May 20, 2014
Kansas
Thank you! That was my initial thinking, needed to hear it from someone else to ease my mind.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
unless you are attaching something to the battery, like a power cable for an amp i've NEVER disconnected a battery for a headunit or door speaker install and i've done at least a dozen headunit installs over a multitude of vehicles with no issues.

and with things like dirty throttle bodies that can cause issues it's just NOT worth it to disconnect unless you HAVE to.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If disconnecting your battery causes your actuator to crap out, it was going to anyway. FWIW

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I did the voy Saturday, didn't disconnect the battery and everything is fine. I pre wired the harnesses in the house though.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another consideration if disconnecting the battery is that it will force you to clean the throttle body or you will suffer from a bad idle.

barn9

Original poster
May 20, 2014
Kansas
I did the voy Saturday, didn't disconnect the battery and everything is fine. I pre wired the harnesses in the house though.
That is my plan as well, thanks!

Another consideration if disconnecting the battery is that it will force you to clean the throttle body or you will suffer from a bad idle.
One thing at a time I say. :smile: The TB is running very well, not gonna screw with anything till there is a need, or so I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I have never unhooked the battery when installing a head unit. I use the harness so I do not have to splice wires and have never had an issue.

When you have to start spicing wires and things like that on the vehicle is when it is a REALLY good idea to unhook the negative side.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Nah, just use the proper wiring adapters instead of splicing straight into factory wiring, and no need to unhook battery. I've done a head unit replacement/install on every vehicle I've owned that came with a radio and never unhooked battery - and I have yet to kill one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online