New Saab 5.3 on SS Reproductions

saabotage

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
Hey guys, I am somewhat new to GMT, I used to be big into Trailvoy with my 02 Envoy. I loved the Envoy so much but she was showing her age being an 02. I recently picked up this 08 9-7X 5.3 AWD with 70K for $11,900.00 so i coulnt pass it up. Ive done a few touches on it to make it my own, hope you like it!

-Will/w_bailey04 from trailvoy

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to GMTNation :thumbsup:

Nice looking truck! The exhaust tip I bought looks similar to yours, eventually I'll get it put on...

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
From one Will to another- Great looking snob- oops I mean Saab! I know exactly what you mean about the 02 showing its age, I am in the same boat. I just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on something new(er) yet. Anyways congrats on the new ride and welcome to gmtnation! Sooooo much nicer and better over here...

-Will

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I hate you and your engine cover that seems to be missing on mine. (I know, TB's dont have them, that's why i'm whining)

Just kidding though, nice ride and a pretty good deal. Welcome to the nation!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
FR Wheels :salivate:

Welcome over :tiphat:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome to the Nation! Tight looking Saab. :thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
DDonnie said:
I hate you and your engine cover that seems to be missing on mine. (I know, TB's dont have them, that's why i'm whining)

Just kidding though, nice ride and a pretty good deal. Welcome to the nation!

Just go get one, make it your next mod :thumbsup:

12600390-SS cover
12601206-bracket
11588712-bolts x 2
11609652-cover stud

then get creative and maybe paint it body color...eventually I'll be getting one, they look nice. Mine will be liquid silver with black inserts with chrome edges n lettering and read "LH6 vortec 303 hp", my round insert will say "Denali". Funny was when I first got the Envoy I took it in for service and when I got it back I noticed no cover when I opened the hood, but saw the mounting bolt holes. I went back to the dealer and demanded they put it back on :redface:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Nice SAAB...I've got the same one in black. First thing I did when you mentioned the price was check if you were from Michigan or Ohio. Cars are substantially cheaper there with their bad economies. There could almost be an exchange rate the prices are so drastically different and two years ago they were in even worse shape. I got mine two years ago for a little over a thousand dollars more than yours with under 60,000 miles on it from Ohio as a pristine one owner from a stealer no less. Still haven't spend a single penny on it but drive it every day. Knocking on wood it is in a tie with the most reliable car i've ever owned. I think this is one of the cheapest, expensive cars you can get your hands on. It was also the most leased car on the market back then in a tie with one of the expensive BMW's...due to low production numbers and overpricing.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not digging the black rims... Love it other wise...

Welcome to the nation!

saabotage

Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
Thanks everyone. For those of you who dont know about the saab platform, it got some nice tweaks such as tighter steering ratio, control arm bushings, sway bar links, front end geometry has been changed a bit. I really enjoy the subtle changes they made to the Saab platform. The 5.3 is a nice upgrade, stock I believe my 4.2 could hang with it, the tune really woke it up and the 4:10 gears were nice.

I have some plans for the ol 5.3. At this point I am waiting to have it tuned until i can buy the efans, intake and minor exhaust work. After that I will have Alvin do his thing to the PCM over at PCMFORLESS. I feel like it has a lot of torque management. Overall I am very happy with the vehicle. As long as it still has a solid axle and a frame under it!

Thanks!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
saabotage said:
Thanks everyone. For those of you who dont know about the saab platform, it got some nice tweaks such as tighter steering ratio, control arm bushings, sway bar links, front end geometry has been changed a bit. I really enjoy the subtle changes they made to the Saab platform. The 5.3 is a nice upgrade, stock I believe my 4.2 could hang with it, the tune really woke it up and the 4:10 gears were nice.

I have some plans for the ol 5.3. At this point I am waiting to have it tuned until i can buy the efans, intake and minor exhaust work. After that I will have Alvin do his thing to the PCM over at PCMFORLESS. I feel like it has a lot of torque management. Overall I am very happy with the vehicle. As long as it still has a solid axle and a frame under it!

Thanks!

The list of improvements over the rest of the platform is about a page long. The SS actually copied many the 9-7's improvements as well but has a different AWD system. The difference is that many of them were then adopted later by the others in the platform so a later Trailblazer or Envoy will also have some of the improvements. Someone here has a stock 5.3 SWB and a modded 4.2 SWB and the 4.2 does hang with it. Of course the 5.3 has relatively easy bolt on mods like a supercharger that aren't available for the 4.2.
I have two 5.3's as in my sig and one has a tuned pcm and the other one doesn't...you can really tell which one has the tune. Overall the 9-7 handles almost night and day compared to everything except the SS. It is almost astonishing that a body on frame suv can handle this well. The price you pay however is a much less cushy ride.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i actually like those stock 18s a lot. there was a guy who had a set widened and chromed, made me very jealous... would put those on my ss in a heartbeat

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
wow, I did not know you could do that!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online