New Paint/Artwork

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Since next month is the ten year anniversary of the original build of my truck for SEMA in 02, I decided to do a full exterior makeover. The whole idea started when my wife and i went to Belize for our honeymoon and seen all these bad ass Mayan ruins(everyone has done skulls and bio-mechanical and that looks cool but thats not me). Then after 3-4 months of working with my artist on renderings, we came up with a game plan and off she went! I wanted to put my own touch on the truck without taking away from the history of the truck. So without going on and writing a novel, heres a few pics. If you guys wanna know anything more, just ask. My artist is Kevin Burdick out of fenton, and he is the in-house airbrush artist at Psycho Customs in Kawkawlin, MI. That shop did everything from paint to graphics including all the bodywork, basically everything but the roof this time (i got plans for that in the next year or two, lol)

A lot of the artwork close-ups are before clear coat.
15gfckw.jpg

2ef8588.jpg

sv1f6c.jpg

1fzvp.jpg

2u8l5zp.jpg

2zsu07a.jpg

fw4v44.jpg

28s7m3c.jpg

33w46fc.jpg

9fp8bl.jpg

2ps0tcg.jpg

357ocr4.jpg

2me641x.jpg

22xrfo.jpg

1yok6c.jpg

1zg8djb.jpg

28lw17k.jpg

ejy4c3.jpg

9iwbgm.jpg

34zlpqb.jpg

2d8s8xc.jpg

64qzyw.jpg

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
33k94z6.jpg

a0kw9v.jpg

vhdeus.jpg

250ugqv.jpg

2m79ef6.jpg

4twok6.jpg

ngez2c.jpg

5kr4n6.jpg

w1sqbm.jpg

rsboe1.jpg

5ma5wj.jpg

2vxfts9.jpg

2wnzitu.jpg

v9lxz.jpg

and last but not least, no i do NOT trailer it, i drive the crap out of it to every show!
oixg14.jpg

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
This brings flash to another level.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Oh and incase anyone was wondering, the rims are Boyd's, they were originally polished aluminum, then powdercoated black. We media blasted them, hand brushed the face so it looks like brushed aluminum, repowdercoated everything back black, then covered everything in a semi-gloss clear powdercoat so their toned down a little bit.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That job is amazing. It really looks like it is in the vehicle not on the panels. The depth is amazing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Beautiful. Well done on saving those wheels as well. Came out great!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Nice man!! This is deff not something you see everyday so nice job on the unique taste to it. Deff need to check the truck out in person someday :yes: like the new rims also! They pop out a lot more and give the truck some contrast

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
That paintwork is amazing! Fantastic all round.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
that is just amazing. Looks awesome. I want some of who ever's art on my walls...

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
HOLY CRIPE thats AWSOME!!! :2thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
the artist definetly has some skills... but those wheels just stand out too much to me and draws my eyes way from the graphics... i think the all black wheels wouldve looked killer...

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Boricua SS said:
the artist definetly has some skills... but those wheels just stand out too much to me and draws my eyes way from the graphics... i think the all black wheels wouldve looked killer...

We were done with one side and put the black wheels on it, thatswhen we decided it needed something more than just thr black rims. Thats why we didnt do any artwork or gold and also covered them with the semi-gloss clear, to tone down the shinyness of the aluminum. I see what u mean the, i was scared to change up the black wheeels as well but once i seen them on the truck with the artwork, i knew i had to do something so the wheels didnt get lost, like they used to in pictures.

fletch09 said:
Awesome :thumbsup:
what was the time frame for the job?

The whole truck was done in about two months, they put a couple other jobs on hold and my artist dedicated himself to my truck that whole time. The last two weeks tho were a lot of looooong days trying to hit the deadline that they promised me it would be done for!

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
:eek:WOW:eek:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Holy Shiat.

The talent some people have just baffles my mind (coming from someone who cant draw a basic stick figure).

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I saw this truck 3 years ago at Carlisle, it was beat up and in rough shape then and ready for salvage. I am so glad to have seen you spend a lot of time and hard work on bringing it back to life. Simply incredible!!!

ih8bumps

Jan 27, 2012
Your truck looks unreal!!! I'm pretty sure I still have the Truckin mag from when it was featured wayyy back in the day. I'd love to bag mine one day.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Before seeing those pics, if you would have described it to me, I would have probably made a face worthy of someone, ummm, clearing out a room :rotfl:
However...lol that is one beautiful truck
The time and money you put into that thing is admirable, to say the least

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier, I guess I don't snoop around the forums very much. I only saw a few pics of your truck with the artwork and I was undecided on it. After seeing the process and all the up close pictures, I totally changed my mind. The depth and realism is amazing bro, gives me an even higher appreciation for your truck. Like I told you before, I don't think I could ever do something radical like this with my paint and normally I don't like artwork on cars but this is done right. Can't wait to see your headlights finished :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have to agree with BorSS, Love the paint work, its completely 3d even on my screen. Tasteful, and elegant!... Then we get to the rims, well.. Let me just say I would not have gone with those..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Then we get to the rims, well.. Let me just say I would not have gone with those..

I like them. So glad they are not black ghetto spare looking anymore.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am sure on the right truck, they would look great. But with that paint scheme, and just the overall look of that GMT, the rims just don't flow with the overall image.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
TollKeeper said:
I am sure on the right truck, they would look great. But with that paint scheme, and just the overall look of that GMT, the rims just don't flow with the overall image.

I agree with you. I don't think the rims match the truck, but my problem is I can't figure out what WOULD match the truck. I'm sure once I saw the right rims, I would know instantly that those were the ones but getting there would be a problem for me if that was my truck.

It's the same kind of problem I have with the front end on my truck. I've changed it multiple times, and none of them look bad persay, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what would look best. I've done the all chrome headlight, black face, black gmc, black strips around the grill. Been considering changing to chrome GMC and spraying the grill black, or an all chrome grill and GMC with chrome headlights but I think that would be too much. I just can't figure out the front of these trucks

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
I'll be the first to admit, I DESPISE murals/airbrushing on vehicles.

That said, if every 'artist' out there had THIS guy's chops, that opinion would be the exact opposite. I'm seriously blown away by the skill and actual artistic talent. Absolutely stellar work. Amazing. Makes me hate the rest of them that much more... :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online