New Headunit installed without harness, now I have extra wires.

ewoksammich

Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Hey everyone. Sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find anything when I searched. Here's my problem. I installed an aftermarket head unit this weekend, and instead of using a harness, I decided to hard wire everything in. I got the headunit installed, and it works perfectly, but I have extra wires that don't seem to hook up to anything. Also, every wiring diagram I found only matched a few of my wires. Now I have two brown/white wires, one orange wire, one black/white wire, and a bare metal wire. Also, my digital climate control display won't come on, nor will the controls work, but the lights behind the buttons are on. I know the two are related, so I'm hoping someone has had this problem before. It's a 2002 Trailblazer EXT LT, no bose, with onstar. Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're talking about the rear controls, you'll never get them to work without a special interface. IIRC, they're part of the radio controls, hence the reason it won't work without an interface. If you're talking about the main front controls, then that's weird because I have run the truck without a radio at all and they worked. Did you check the fuses?

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams from the manuals in my signature? I find those to be more detailed than the usual ones.

And welcome to the Nation!

ewoksammich

Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
I looked up the HVAC wiring diagram in my service manual, and it looks like the brown/white wires are for dimming. One has about 12v to it, and one has none. The black/white looks like a ground wire, and the orange is apparently 12v power, but it has no power to it. Makes no sense. My new headunit doesn't have a dimming feature, so I didn't have a place to hook the wires up. I'm assuming the black/white needs to be grounded. Any ideas what to do with the brown/white or the bare wire? And it's for the front controls. The rear controls have always been useless to me, but when I unhook them, my rear speakers don't work.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Make sure you didn't blow a fuse to your HVAC when you were chopping wires.

Just curious, why didn't you just get the correct wire harness?

ewoksammich

Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
I've always just did a direct wiring job when I've installed stereos in my other vehicles. I checked all of the wiring diagrams I could find. 2 were for the dimming feature, one was a ground, and not sure about the other two as they have no voltage. I pulled every single fuse that would even remotely relate to the HVAC system. Aux power, cigar power, all the HVAC fuses, AC fuses, everything. Put them back in, tested it, and it worked. I still have absolutely no idea what happened, but it works now.

Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Did you check to see if the plugs on the controls came undone? Just thinking they may be ran through the same loom of tangled somehow and came undone when you were fiddling with the wires

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.