My Envoy is a Lowrider!

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've never ever had issues with my air bags suspension until this afternoon.
I'm bringing my boys into town and it occurs to me that I'm feeling every little bump in the road and 'hey, my ass feels like it's dragging!'. I stop the truck and look behind me. Sure enough my ass is riding on the ground.

I call our garage and the service manager tells me to drive very very slowly over. Ok, so I get there and put it on the hoist. We can hear air pissing out of something. We do the tire soap spray trick and sure enough the bottom of one air bag is rotten.

Here's the worst part. I just had the truck undercoated yesterday.... That cost me a case of beer just to get started when the mechanic got his hair messed up with fresh oil....(He wants to know why suspension parts always break the day after an undercoating, not the day before???)

So, it's in the shop while we determine which way to go.
I like the air ride, so dropping in z71 springs is out.
I like OEM stuff on my suspension, but I read that Arnett is better because of thicker rubber and some design changes?
Price is not a factor. I don't care if one is cheaper than another.
I'm looking to maintain the factory ride, but I am intrigued by a better design.

My questions to you guys, the all round Envoy experts are;
- Are there upgrades that could be done while I'm in there?
- Should I be replacing any other parts as a good PM practise while I'm in there?
- Is there a better brand that I should be buying? Ignore price as a better factor.

Thanks guys!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Do springs ....will never have to worry about bags again. Or if u like the bags that much...go with arnot like u said.

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:
I'm bringing my boys into town and it occurs to me that I'm feeling every little bump in the road and 'hey, my ass feels like it's dragging!'. I stop the truck and look behind me. Sure enough my ass is riding on the ground.

I call our garage and the service manager tells me to drive very very slowly over. Ok, so I get there and put it on the hoist. We can hear air pissing out of something. We do the tire soap spray trick and sure enough the bottom of one air bag is rotten.

Here's the worst part. I just had the truck undercoated yesterday.... That cost me a case of beer just to get started when the mechanic got his hair messed up with fresh oil....(He wants to know why suspension parts always break the day after an undercoating, not the day before???)

I like OEM stuff on my suspension, but I read that Arnett is better because of thicker rubber and some design changes?
I'm looking to maintain the factory ride, but I am intrigued by a better design.

- Should I be replacing any other parts as a good PM practise while I'm in there?
- Is there a better brand that I should be buying? Ignore price as a better factor.

Thanks guys!

Just finished doing my bags with Arnott replacements. Totally happy with the results. Took about 1 1/2 hours to do both sides. Needed an extra pair of hands. You can do some searching and watch a couple of YouTube videos just to get acquainted with the procedure. You will need compressed air and glasses to keep the blowing dust out your eyes.

Here is the thread I started have a read and then dig in.
http://gmtnation.com/f77/replace-worn-out-air-bags-4618/

:thumbsup:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I'm glad my TB has springs instead of air bags even if it tides better with air bags. I see so many envoys and 9-7's with there ass dragging. I heard that the arnett are a great alternative. Hope you get everything back to normal soon bro.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
06Envoy said:

Thanks guys!

FWIW ...I just changed the bags(OEM-Arnott) on my 07 as a precaution and my old bags looked like new so I'm saving them for down the road.I'm wondering if the rubber used in the bags is up to the task of handling the oil that you spray anually,I say this because as I said mine looked like new and I'm in the salt belt too.
I didn't go with the Arnott manufactured bags because I didn't like the metal band(what with the salt and all) I inquired if they were SS but,Arnott never replied.I did also buy a new compressor as a spare since the price was reasonable with coupon and they may get scarce down the road... I love the air ride,all the top end vehicles seem to be sold on them too....just sayin',Mike.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions and helpfull tips!
I did read up on you guys swapping out bags for springs and the guys who just swapped out the bags for Arnott last night.

I also hit up the Arnott webpage this morning.
GMC - Envoy XL 2002-2006 (129" WB) w/ Rear Air Suspension

So I can choose between OEM overstock, thier redesign, or true OEM from Dunlop all from the Arnott webpage.

I think I'm with Northcreek in that the steel band that holds the second gen Arnott bags would rust out and break within a few years. Even though it may have thicker rubber, etc that steel band does it in for me so it's out.

That leaves the OEM overstock or true OEM bags. I'm going to call the dealership when they open to see what kinds of pricing I get for actual OEM, and then compare pricing from getting OEM from Arnott vs Dealership.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind guys! :thumbsup:

EDIT: As an aside, I'm going to buy the pump as well as both bags. It's easier and cheaper in labour to have the mech replace all the parts while he's in there. If one bag was rotten, it's safe to assume the other bag is right behind it, and the pump has that check valve in it that should also be replaced. So the envoy gets it all.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
06Envoy said:
I did read up on you guys swapping out bags for springs and the guys who just swapped out the bags for Arnott last night.

So I can choose between OEM overstock, thier redesign, or true OEM from Dunlop all from the Arnott webpage.

I think I'm with Northcreek in that the steel band that holds the second gen Arnott bags would rust out and break within a few years. Even though it may have thicker rubber, etc that steel band does it in for me so it's out.

That leaves the OEM overstock or true OEM bags. I'm going to call the dealership when they open to see what kinds of pricing I get for actual OEM, and then compare pricing from getting OEM from Arnott vs Dealership.

EDIT: As an aside, I'm going to buy the pump as well as both bags. It's easier and cheaper in labour to have the mech replace all the parts while he's in there. If one bag was rotten, it's safe to assume the other bag is right behind it, and the pump has that check valve in it that should also be replaced. So the envoy gets it all.

I imagine that you will be floored with the dealer quote but,I'm curious to know how much I saved by doing it myself:undecided:
I went with the GM bags(overstock),the manufacturer's tags on the old bags were identical to the tags on the replacement bags so I know that Arnott sold me the real McCoys.Assuming that you get another 6 years out of your new bags/compressor would take you well beyond the expected life of your vehicle.....and who could complain about that...right?...Mike.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
06Envoy said:

Ha Ha Ha:rotfl:, I just called my stealer and got a quote. Are ya sitting down :confused: ?

Air bag - $320 each

Compressor - $1185

I bet they are much cheaper at US dealers. So prob you go with Arnott, $169 for a pair of bags with a lifetime warranty plus tax and shipping.

I think I should buy springs now and carry them around in the truck so I'm ready when my bags fail...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Denali n DOO said:
Ha Ha Ha:rotfl:, I just called my stealer and got a quote. Are ya sitting down :confused: ?

Air bag - $320 each

Compressor - $1185

I bet they are much cheaper at US dealers. So prob you go with Arnott, $169 for a pair of bags with a lifetime warranty plus tax and shipping.

I think I should buy springs now and carry them around in the truck so I'm ready when my bags fail...

WOW!...is that installed?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
northcreek said:
WOW!...is that installed?

No, thats just the parts! Unreal eh? GM parts in Canada are STUPID priced.

Just for a joke I called the dealer back to find out the installed price. I'll edit here when he gets back to me.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yup, I just paid $320.75+13%tax each for the bags. I skipped the pump.
Two different GM dealerships in town had one bag each ins tock, so I got both of them. I should have my truck back by this afternoon. YAY!!!! :wootwoot:

I know I could have saved $$$ by buying Arnott. It doesn't matter. I want an all OEM ride on my Envoy.

I'm the guy who spent double the $$ on all four shocks to buy OEM over Bilstein aftermarket just because AC Delco branded Bilsteins's were the comfort's while the aftermarket Bilstein's were HD's.
Yes, I'm anal that way...:wink:
All that matters is that I have a completely OEM ride and I get my truck back today!

I can see why Kirkz28 bought my wife's truck so darned fast. He knows how anal I am about maintaining my trucks!!! :biggrin:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Denali n DOO said:
No, thats just the parts! Unreal eh? GM parts in Canada are STUPID priced.

Just for a joke I called the dealer back to find out the installed price. I'll edit here when he gets back to me.

Sounds like the dealer did quote you an installed price...as in: "bend over and grab your ankles because I'm going to install THIS!":eek:...just sayin'..Mike.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
Sounds like the dealer did quote you an installed price...as in: "bend over and grab your ankles because I'm going to install THIS!":eek:...just sayin'..Mike.

Ya, I know... we get used to it. Every once in a while we bitch about it, but we mostly get used to it....

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
I went with Arnott back in March 2010. It took only 2 days to get them shipped to my house. Gen. II bags and compressor, both still working like new. Local dealers wanted way too much!

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ahhhh....it's good to have my Envoy back!

The bill wasn't that bad.. only $1184+tax. That included a new throttlebody as my old one was throwing TPS codes, MSD IGN wires, 41-110 spark plugs, and of course the two new OEM airbags all installed in less than 24 hours.

Driving home I noticed a smoother idle at the red lights, and a much more responsive throttle pedal and it seemed to run on 4 cylinders more often than before on the hwy.
Might of been the wires, the plugs, both, maybe the new throttle body, who knows! But I like it!
And even the new air bags seem to ride better than the old ones.

For a total of $1340 bucks and only one night of downtime, I'm a happy camper!! :wootwoot::wootwoot:

For those of you keeping track.
I didn't replace the coil packs with Accel aftermarket ones based on the advise from a staff member here. :cool:
I didn't replace the air pump because my mechanic refused to let me spend another $1200 on a part that didn't need to be changed. :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
I went with Arnott back in March 2010. It took only 2 days to get them shipped to my house. Gen. II bags and compressor, both still working like new. Local dealers wanted way too much!

You say that you installed Gen II bags two and a half years ago?
Could you do us a favour an possibly try to take a pic or two of the steel band that holds the bags together please?
I didn't buy the Gen II bags just because of that band!
I am immensely curious to see how it has held up over a couple of CDN winters.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
06Envoy said:
Ahhhh....it's good to have my Envoy back!

The bill wasn't that bad.. only $1184+tax. That included a new throttlebody as my old one was throwing TPS codes, MSD IGN wires, 41-110 spark plugs, and of course the two new OEM airbags all installed in less than 24 hours.

Driving home I noticed a smoother idle at the red lights, and a much more responsive throttle pedal and it seemed to run on 4 cylinders more often than before on the hwy.
Might of been the wires, the plugs, both, maybe the new throttle body, who knows! But I like it!
And even the new air bags seem to ride better than the old ones.

For a total of $1340 bucks and only one night of downtime, I'm a happy camper!! :wootwoot::wootwoot:

For those of you keeping track.
I didn't replace the coil packs with Accel aftermarket ones based on the advise from a staff member here. :cool:
I didn't replace the air pump because my mechanic refused to let me spend another $1200 on a part that didn't need to be changed. :thumbsup:

That's great....isn't it funny that with gas over $4 per gal suddenly other things seem reasonable,the new yardstick I guess.I agree on not changing the compressor,they are either good or bad there's no in between.If or when it fails you could do it yourself..it's so easy a blind man could do it(or caveman)....Mike.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
That's great....isn't it funny that with gas over $4 per gal suddenly other things seem reasonable,the new yardstick I guess.I agree on not changing the compressor,they are either good or bad there's no in between.If or when it fails you could do it yourself..it's so easy a blind man could do it(or caveman)....Mike.

If I havn't said it yet... Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys! It's good to know that I could suddenly go blind and still change out my air pump it's that easy!!! :biggrin:

You guys are only paying $4 /gallon?
Up here we pay by the litre, that's 3.785L/gal... I pay $1.51/L for premium fuel.... that's $5.72/gal.
Truly amazing when you consider that Canada supplies more crude oil to the USA than any other single nation... and yet we pay more for the end product than the US.. sigh.... Ya, we are still bending over.... :crazy:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:

If I havn't said it yet... Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys! It's good to know that I could suddenly go blind and still change out my air pump it's that easy!!! :biggrin:

You guys are only paying $4 /gallon?
Up here we pay by the litre, that's 3.785L/gal... I pay $1.51/L for premium fuel.... that's $5.72/gal.
Truly amazing when you consider that Canada supplies more crude oil to the USA than any other single nation... and yet we pay more for the end product than the US.. sigh.... Ya, we are still bending over.... I"m telling ya.. If I ever get in the PM's office, I'm nationalizing ALL of Canada's natural resources... Things would be different... :crazy:

EDIT: Not sure how I ended up with the double post...sorry....

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
06Envoy said:
You say that you installed Gen II bags two and a half years ago?
Could you do us a favour an possibly try to take a pic or two of the steel band that holds the bags together please?
I didn't buy the Gen II bags just because of that band!
I am immensely curious to see how it has held up over a couple of CDN winters.

I meant to do that today but the Mrs. took the Voy all friggin day and night. Hopefully I'll snap some photos this weekend as I'm curious as well.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Tried to get some photos yesterday but I've only got rhino ramps. Next month when the Voy is in the shop getting 160,000km maintenance, I'll hopefully see the tops of the bags better on the hoist.

8024340856_2769ba5078_z_d.jpg

8024343340_50e39b2525_z_d.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online