moving, need car dolly option help!

crazyredvoy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
uhaul and penske said that my 2wd 06 envoy xl isn't able to be towed (too wide, too heavy), i rented a 26' penske truck, just seeing if you guys have towed yours behind a moving truck and how? thanks in advance guys!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Can you be more specific? What specifically are they saying is the problem?

Is Penske saying their rental trucks have too low a tow capacity to tow your vehicle on a dolly or car trailer? I've towed car trailers behind a U-haul box truck with a Subaru on them, and another time a U-haul 6X12 dual axle enclosed trailer with overflow stuff that didn't fit in the truck.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Uhaul website doesn't list the Voy but it does list the TB. Saying it will be towed by a 26' Uhaul truck on an auto transport = acceptable combo. 10' truck with the tow dolly = acceptable combo.

Maybe you need a Uhaul truck? I've hauled my Isuzu Hombre with two motorcycles in the back behind a loaded to the gills 17' Uhaul with the Triton V10 in it. Truck drove the same whether it was empty or loaded.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
C-ya said:
Uhaul website doesn't list the Voy but it does list the TB. Saying it will be towed by a 26' Uhaul truck = acceptable combo.
Flat tow (on wheels) or on a dolly or trailer? 2WD can't be towed flat, but the 4WD can with the transfer case in NEUTRAL mode. But that's mostly for folks who get the removable tow bar thingie put on the front of the vehicle to tow behind their RVs, and also get a breakaway brake controller for safety. None of that makes for an easy or cheap 2WD relocation project. For a one-time move, it's cheaper to find a buddy for the road trip, have THEM drive the vehicle, and fly them home on Southwest.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why tell them what you are towing?

They say you can only go 50 or 55 too.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
the roadie said:
Flat tow (on wheels) or on a dolly or trailer? 2WD can't be towed flat, but the 4WD can with the transfer case in NEUTRAL mode.

Edited while you were reading/posting.

I've towed 2WD (RWD) vehicles on a tow dolly with the drive shaft disconnected from the rear end and tied to a frame rail.

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
UHaul's auto transport or tow dolly will work just fine. The tow dollies are built to handle plenty of weight. I once saw a one way auto transport come in hauling a Yukon XL Denali so don't worry about it.

I entered the truck into my equipment guide as an Envoy XL being towed by a Silverado 3500 dually and it said it would work with either the Tow Dolly or Auto Transport so it's safe weight-wise.

You most definitely will have a hard time getting a trailer if you tell them it will be behind a yellow truck instead of an orange one. Also, 99% of dealers will refuse to hook it up to a truck that isn't listed on the contract. That being said, if you went into the UHaul dealership and explain to them how you are hauling your daughter's Honda Civic with the Envoy and left out of there with the trailer, you would likely be just fine, if you catch my drift... :wink:

crazyredvoy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
thanks for all the replies, i believe uhaul told me that the penske truck's tow ball height was too high, uhaul site says maximum ball hitch height of 25", i know the uhaul trucks ball sits lower due to the ez loading deck and such, so heres the question, would exceeding the ball height make a difference or is uhaul just trying to get me to go to them. I'm moving cross country from Georgia to Idaho, so it's going to be a long tow. i really hope i don't have to do 50-55 the whole way!
final question!! so the only way to tow (without disconnecting the driveshaft) is the auto transporter?
amweaver47 said:
UHaul's auto transport or tow dolly will work just fine. The tow dollies are built to handle plenty of weight. I once saw a one way auto transport come in hauling a Yukon XL Denali so don't worry about it.

I entered the truck into my equipment guide as an Envoy XL being towed by a Silverado 3500 dually and it said it would work with either the Tow Dolly or Auto Transport so it's safe weight-wise.

You most definitely will have a hard time getting a trailer if you tell them it will be behind a yellow truck instead of an orange one. Also, 99% of dealers will refuse to hook it up to a truck that isn't listed on the contract. That being said, if you went into the UHaul dealership and explain to them how you are hauling your daughter's Honda Civic with the Envoy and left out of there with the trailer, you would likely be just fine, if you catch my drift... :wink:

crazyredvoy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
also, i don't know if it's a dumb question, could i back the envoy onto a car dolly and lock the steering wheel or is this bad for it? since it is for a long distance?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Towing with the front wheels on the ground is technically OK for the truck. But you're going to need magnetic lights on the truck for running lights and brakes, and I don't know if various state laws allow you to have the towed vehicle backwards like that.

EDIT: U-Haul says no. http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/120/Tow-Dolly-User-Instructions

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I would go for the transport, as long as you can fit onto the trailer. ( the fenders fold down as I recall) last thing you would want is to tow backwards, too much weight too far back, would be unstable, and could end up with your envoy upside down.

I did a DIY move from Ohio to Rome NY, two 24 ft u hauls, with a car behind each one.. (there was a $199 one way special on trucks to NY in 1991!)

also an earlier move from CA to Ohio. with a trailer behind the truck, and another behind my K car.(which my ex drove)

the transporter will even let you back it up if you know what you are doing, a bit more of a challenge with a tow dolly.

u haul says:

maximum load towing capacity of 5,290 lbs. 24 ft truck rated up to 7500 lbs.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT looks like the width and wheelbase is ok to me.

Do they have a U Haul on base? you could save sales tax.... have to check the options.:thumbsup:

I would not advise messing around with the tow rig or misrepresenting towing plans. last thing you want is an issue on the road out of the terms of the contract.

let them write and spec the rig, and then they will be on the hook if you get stuck in god knows where wyoming.

my trusty interweb indicates Penske also rents auto transport trailers, but they are rated for less than the u- haul.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Uhaul has a 45mph limit posted on their trailers.

:crazy:

And they didnt rent out to Ford Exploders last I heard. Not that that is an issue for any of us.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
We had no problem both times when we used a penske 26ft and uhaul car transporter (the one all wheels off the ground). We even had the uhaul jack crapout and removed it, they said nothing when we returned it. :biggrin: Make sure when you hook up the breakaway chain you give it alot of room, we had it trip the brakes making a turn on I-75 and the people behind us thought the trailer was on fire. :rotfl:

crazyredvoy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Thats awesome news. Transporter it is! It'll keep miles off and a whole lot of gas money Lol. I tried asking for a Dolly or transporter through penske, but they said it wouldn't work, I don't remember Why she said. Any other good tips?! You all are on a roll and full of help! Oh, by the way, I Love my envoy! Proud owner for 6 months haha.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I agree with towing the Voy on a transporter something about a dolly and my vehicle wheels are still rolling when I;m not driving it:no:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just did the Penske 26" truck, with a Penske Transporter. The reason they wont let you put the Voy on the trailer is that it isn't rated for it. I also believe it has to do with length.

Off the record....

I rented the Penske 26" truck, and the trailer, using my wifes Aztek as the "towed" vehicle. Then I just put the Envoy on the trailer without telling Penske. The tires of my Voy were literally at the end of the trailer. The space between the tire and the end of the trailer was 1/16 of an inch. Attaching the safety chain to the Voy presented another problem. The weight of the Voy pushing down on the deck plate where the loading ramps went, made it nearly impossible to put the ramps away, or get them back out to unload the truck.

Besides that, Weigh stations didn't have a problem with it. The truck pulled it ok.. Hopefully you get a Freightliner cab, and not one of the Internationals. I got the International, and pulling a 0.5% to 1.5% of a grade, at 1.5 miles, slowed the truck down to 27 mph. In a 75 MPH zone, that's bloody dangerous! The Internationals are also not rated for very much weight, like 15k lbs (or less, don't remember). Where as the Freightliner was rated for 30k lbs.

My brother lives in Idaho. He recommends taking the northern route, and not cutting up thru the mountains of Utah or Western Colorado. Beautiful road? Yes, not worth the risk thou.

crazyredvoy

Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
That's crazy I just reserved my transporter through U-Haul so hopefully it will fit better on the trailer! Yeah I'm planning on taking the northern route! I have to make a pit stop up in NY. That had to suck going that slow up a little grade! Hopefully I can have them make sure I get an international .

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No, NOT the International, Freightliner is the one you want.

I was never able to set the cruise because the truck would take forever to get up to speed, then going up a slight grade, and having to merge onto the shoulder to make the climb, etc..

On your rental reservation, you should mark it as a 2010+ 3500/F350 pulling your Envoy. This will insure that you get the big trailer. Go and pick the trailer up with the Envoy. When they ask about the truck, tell them its at the shop getting a flat tire fixed, and you just needed to pick the trailer up before they closed.

I had to do something very similar when I went to pick up my race car, and the only vehicle I had as a Tow vehicle was a Ford Explorer. U-Haul does not rent to Ford Explorers (but they will rent to a Mercury Mountaineer or Lincoln Aviator).

Just one big thing to remember here with this deception. If you have any type of accident, your insurance waivers will no longer cover your rentals because the tow vehicle, and the vehicle being towed, don't match whats on the documents.

Another thing to try, call a U-Haul dealer directly, and see if they will rent to you when you tell them exactly what you are towing, and what you are towing with. The local stores have a bit more freedom than the cooperate tele-jocks.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
I agree with TollKeeper on this. Make sure everything is on the up & up with the documentation. That is a long haul, with possibilities of
unfortunate events. Trying not to make this sound discouraging but there are other people on the road out there who sometimes don't
take as much care driving as we would like. So, any misrepresentation on the documents and the insurance people would only be too glad to disallow any claims.
All that being said, I wish you well on your move.

Doug

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
How did it go? Did it fit?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Not a tow, but a haul for sure! I took some scrap steel and old engine parts to the scrapper yesterday. Loaded up Saturday, but they weren't open. I knew it was a decent amount as the TB rode pretty good with a little sway. Front to rear was pretty level. Looked at the receipt when I left and saw that I unloaded 694 lbs of scrap! I wish I had taken a pic, but I didn't. Netted me a cool two Grant's and two nickels.

Not bad...

I also now know the TB, me and 1/4 of a tank weighs 5300 lbs. Porky!!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Oops - wrong thread!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
a5etymug.jpg

A car dolly will work fine. For such a long haul I would remove the driveshaft anyways. Why have things rotating that don't need to be. And the height of the hitch does play an important part on the trailer/dolly. You don't want it at such a high angle, you want the trailer deck completely flat.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
There are 4 books at the rear diff to unbolt. They attach the u joint to the yolk. Unbolt that and slide it out of the transmission.make sure you tape the u joint caps so they don't come off. Odometer shouldn't change unless engine is on.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you have a TB or Envoy with the Low Range transfer case, it's silly and unnecessary to remove the driveshaft. Just follow the Owner's Manual instructions to put the transfer case in neutral. Accomplishes the same thing. If this is one of the AWD models like the Bravada, then flat-towing (as this mode is designed for) is not possible. If I missed the fact you have this model, then I'm sorry. Shows how important it can be to fill out one's profile.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.