monroe strut - a bit long?

blurry

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I just installed a Monroe sensa-track strut part #71341 in the front of the 02 trailblazer. I had to compress the spring to get the strut arm to fit.

I used the old spring, yellow bumper and dust shield. The top nut has about 1/2" of thread showing with the nut on

am I missing something?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Assuming you compressed the spring sufficiently when you put the top nut on, and the nut is snug to the end of the threads on the shock rod, you're OK. Typically, if you do one side at a time, the anti-sway bar will limit the downward motion of the lower control arm a bit.

What's bad is if you try to use the nut to compress the spring the last 1/4-1/2". That's not going to work, and will leave the nut loose to work its way off later.

blurry

Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
the roadie said:
Assuming you compressed the spring sufficiently when you put the top nut on, and the nut is snug to the end of the threads on the shock rod, you're OK. Typically, if you do one side at a time, the anti-sway bar will limit the downward motion of the lower control arm a bit.

What's bad is if you try to use the nut to compress the spring the last 1/4-1/2". That's not going to work, and will leave the nut loose to work its way off later.

I might not have run the nut on the top of the shock to the bottom of the threads. The oem didn't look like it was down all the way either.

Both sides of the fronts are on stands. I still need to do the sway bar links so the truck is still on the stands.

Should I pull the strut and tighten the upper strut nut till it is out of threads?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I've had monroes since 90K ago and no problems even with a lift. Wish could get bilsteins here though lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syntaxmaciah