Might try the BG E.P.R. in the Envoy

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My Envoy is running great but does use some oil. A quart about every 2000 miles.

I was thinking of doing the Top End Soak with the AC Delco product.

Then I tried the BG E.P.R. on my old Toyota Corolla. 315 k miles on it and it was using 1 qt every 4-500 miles. After the one EPR treatment, oil consumption dropped to one quart every 1100 miles.

Has anyone tried the BG in their 4.2 Atlas?

Are there any potential problems using it in this 4.2?

Well maintained 4.2. Oil changes done on schedule religiously every 4-5 k miles. 5/30 Synthetic Blend Valvoline, recently started using Mobil One Extended 5/30. 196k miles on engine.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I have some experience using it on the 4.2 and 5.3. My Envoy basically burned a quart every 1000 miles give or take, after running EPR through it its been cutdown to about half a quart every 1000 miles, which isn't too bad. I'm 90% confident that the majority of my oil loss is from the rear main seal leak.

The 02 Olds Bravada (4.2) I bought a year ago does burn a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I ran one can of EPR (forgot to get a second can), it did clear up the miss it had at idle from the extensive carbon build up (old owner had it parked for a year prior, and only started it up to idle it). Oil consumption seemed to slow down a bit, I didn't necessarily get a good read/keep track of how much I added post-treatment. But it did something that's for sure. If you know the engines in good shape, and you've never had doubts about the possibility of sludge build up, I don't see the harm in doing the full 2 can treatment.

Granted, when I drained both the Envoy/Bravada's oil. it was DARK. If I had to do it again, I would take a page from MRSSM's book and buy some cheap Oil and a filter and drive it around for about 100-500 miles, and then change the oil back to HM full synthetic with a quality filter to ensure all the "left over" muck isn't still circulating through the drivetrain. I know he suggests doing this when doing an upper soak with the AC Delco TEC, and Berryman chem soak. I think the logic would still apply when using the EPR.

BBT2

Jul 25, 2023
Florida
BG products are the best out there. With high mileage vehicles, with some oil consumption, I’ve used BG EPR, BG 44K for fuel and BG RF7 or BG MOA for the oil at each oil change. My Mercedes 420SEL has 505,000 miles and my 1992 Chevy Silverado has 235,000 miles. I swear by these products.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online