Medium sized cargo storage box

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
So I decided to build some sort of rear storage solution, I had seen other members build full size boxes but that was more than I needed. The rough dimensions for the box are a foot wide by 33 inches long. It is about a foot high, this measurement I ball parked and once the saw was set hey were all the same. I secured it to the vehicle with a 32 inch long 2x4 and an m10 bolt utilizing the existing holes for cargo tie downs. I then built the box and used lag bolts to secure it to the 2x4.

e4eme3yh.jpg

The box before install.

zeseru7e.jpg

bapumusy.jpg

Installed.

I may come back with 3/4 lag bolts instead of the 7/16 but it's not going anywhere as it currently sits. The passenger headrest doesn't go all the way down but I can remove that tool brackets easily. All in all pretty content.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I've been thinking of doing something like this for while. That looks pretty handy, I like it.

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I would maybe beef up the botto support a bit. I would also use nuts and bolts connecting the box to its support. I will be switching out the lag bolts soon.

Gealousy

Oct 13, 2012
I'd recommend carpeting it. You can get cheap carpet from Home Depot (and glue) for <$20. If you did it right it could look factory!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Looks good :thumbsup:, I like the side you put it on so you can still make use of the cargo area with bigger seat down. I agree carpeting it would give it that "factory" look. Nice job...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The only thing I would add to it is some netting over the top. Main reason being, nothing is holding that stuff in the box for a rollover. And everything there has the potential to become a projectile.

Other than, looks good, with some carpet, would look great!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Nice setup!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
The only thing I would add to it is some netting over the top. Main reason being, nothing is holding that stuff in the box for a rollover. And everything there has the potential to become a projectile.

Other than, looks good, with some carpet, would look great!

I have a crate in the back of mine with a whole ton of stuff that could go flying all over the place :crazy: Nothing to hold it in :lipsrsealed:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I think it looks great! I really like this idea too and maybe I can get hubby on a contract to build me one or something similar.

As far as a net on the top...I think the weight of the items in the box would go right through a net in a roll-over making the net pointless. Maybe a locking lid of some sort if that is something of interest to the OP.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You would be surprised to to what those netting systems can hold.

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I do need to add in some netting. Apparently I was driving spiritedly over some speed bumps and caused a container of coolant to break. Need to minimize bouncing, and keep an eye out for that invisible speed bump.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice work.

Steveinfl

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Much appreciated. It is still holding on strong. I ended up modifying the 2x4 which the box is mounted to. Ran 3 bolts vertically thru it and wing butted them inside the box for easy removal. Just put a towel over the wing nuts if you don't want any token containers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online