Making/modding a cabin air filter door.

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
There are plenty of posts about the cut that is necessary to add a cabin air filter, but the doors are difficult to come by. There is a company that prints them and that is where I got my door. However, I managed to break it while installing. They had excellent customer service and within a few days they mailed me a replacement.

However, this left me with out good AC in the Texas summer. So I ordered the door that is for the next gen of Trailblazer/Envoy. It is too long, but I thought that I might be able to mod it to work. It worked great!

I cut it short at the second reinforcement and cleaned off all of the burs. This made it a good length.

I drilled a 1/2" hole just inside the reinforcement. A smaller hole might work. The raised area to screw the door into place has to pass through the hole.

The end wouldn't slide into the retaining slot. I ground off the 3 raised areas of reinforcement and the tab slid right in. One might open up the slot on the airbox a bit instead. I then used a 1 1/4" drywall screw and a fender washer to secure it. A 3/4 inch screw might have been fine. I had an entire box of the drywall screws. It worked great!

Cabin air filter door.png
View attachment 62251

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice!

Do you have the part number that you ordered?

If the originals are really that hard to come by, maybe I should get them out of junkers when I go to the yard.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Ever since i had dust blowing in the cabin via the vents while driving on a field, I wanted to do this mod on my TB, but could never find the doors to do it.

krunal88

Apr 13, 2022
South FL
I sealed mine up with duct tape after i tried to cut out the door outline out and failed. Seems to be ok. The filters are installed so that counts haha.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online