Ls1 engine swap

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I'm getting a hell of a deal on this LS1 engine, would it fit in the engine bay of my trailblazer ls?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
if you're asking will it drop in, no it won't

anything is possible given enough time and resources

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Um... the 5.3L was an option on the LWB TBs (same engine bay), and then starting in '06, in the SWB. The SS got the 6.0L LS2. All the CSB.

Now, you'll have to replace all the electronics, and move and re-weld the transmission mount.

Or, you could search for all the times that this has been covered and debated in detail, on here.

Mike

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
what it boils down to, my fellow Kansan, with enough money anything is possible...and quite possibly for the same amount of money, you could buy an SS

(there's one for sale at 20219 Metcalf, AWD too --> K.C. Motor Co.)

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
A buddy is giving me the whole thing or like 600 bucks... So I'm getting the engine itself retardly cheap

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
The GMT360 engine bay is huge due to being built to accept the very long I6, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
That's what I thought might be the case, just wasn't sure. How hard would it be to do a manual tranny conversion with the engine swap?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A T56 6 speed will bolt right up to that engine. That won't be the hard part. The hard part will be redoing all the electronics in the truck to accept the engine. And you very well may need to build a custom cluster since I don't know how you could get the stock cluster to work with it. Well, you might be able to get one from a 5.3 truck to work since the 5.3 and the LS1 are very similar engines and use similar electronics.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
It has been done, but if you're thinking to get it done super cheap then its not gonna happen. Glad you're getting a good deal on the LS1, but expect to spend at least another 2-3k doing the right engine harness, engine mounts, etc. Then you get into the possibility of needing different driveshafts if you move the trans (so keep it in the same place). Oh, and a stronger trans and different rear end to hold the power. You could do the engine swap and leave everything else, but be warned you're going to need a rear end and trans pretty quickly. There are some guys on here and OffroadTB that blow the 8" rear end up with an I6, GM should have just given all of us the 8.6" and kept the 9.5" for the SS/Aero.

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
02.../...Orphan Bastard Wierdo compooter system :hissyfit:
Really not worth thinking beyond that...:frown: IMO

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Guano said:
02.../...Orphan Bastard Wierdo compooter system :hissyfit:
Really not worth thinking beyond that...:frown: IMO

Tell me about it, the P10 was developed by no less than 3 seperate GM entities (Isuzu had a hand in it) so the code is ALL over the place. Its was basically cobbled together so GM could stick the I6 in our trucks, wish they could have got the P12 out earlier and just used that from 02-07 instead of the P10 from 02-05.

Im really tempted to do a V8 swap on an I6, probably wont be a LS1 but Im thinking a 5.3 would be fun for now. Just need a donor vehicle to do it coughCraigcough.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Just need a donor vehicle to do it coughCraigcough.

you need 3 things: 1. a vehicle, 2. $$$$$$$$, 3. a logical reason to spend the time and $$$$$$$$
the 3rd is the most difficult to procure

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
you need 3 things: 1. a vehicle, 2. $$$$$$$$, 3. a logical reason to spend the time and $$$$$$$$
the 3rd is the most difficult to procure

True, and a 03-04 5.3L engine harness...

Also, some people do want to keep the non-SS looks and offroad occasionally so 4WD is needed. Still, all comes down to time and money.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I went old-school when I did the swap in my Hombre. SBC with no computer controls. I did lose my ABS, but big whoop.

SBC

CDJuda

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Engine is gonna cost 3600 dollars, I'm still gonna need a mount, someone to get the computer working correctly and a bunch of other stuff... I have a feeling it's not going be very cost efficiant. Better to just buy an SS :no:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
CDJuda said:
Engine is gonna cost 3600 dollars, I'm still gonna need a mount, someone to get the computer working correctly and a bunch of other stuff... I have a feeling it's not going be very cost efficiant. Better to just buy an SS :no:

Yep, unfortunately thats the case. And you havent even addressed the need for a beefier rear end (the SWB I6 8" wont last at ALL) and at least an upgraded trans (Id build one if I were doing it). Adds more $$ to the project.

You have to REALLY want to do it or have an engine lying around to make it cost effective.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online