NEED HELP Lost 1st and 4th after transmission fluid and filter change

roadswork

Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
florida
Hey guys, i’m very confused on whats going on with my 4l60e. Ive had the truck for the last 55k miles and havent had one issue out of my transmission, ive never serviced it but i figured I might as well since i hit 55k. Went pretty smooth, however, once i went on a test drive i noticed it never went into 1st or 4th. I still have 2, 3, and reverse, and the gears that do shift feel tight. What couldve happened between the service?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

If you accidentally disturbed any of the Shift Solenoids or their Connectors... Before doing anything probative to the Transmission... CHECK THE UNDER-HOOD FUSE PANEL LOOKING FOR ANY AND ALL SHORTED - BURNED OR POORLY INSERTED FUSES.

This link to an On Topic Thread ...AND... access to the ATSG Comprehensive Transmission Diagnostic Guide should prove quite helpful:

Last edited:
Reactions: roadswork

roadswork

Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
florida
Alright I had no blown fuses, I also had a p0753 code. I dont know which direction to start pointing fingers at…

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"OZ" has a decent "How To" perform 4L60E Shift Solenoid Bi-Directional Diagnostics:

Step By Step (Post Pan Removal) R&R of the Shift Solenoids

CAUTION: Handle those Plastic Harness Locking-Release Tabs... WITH CARE... They are BRITTLE!

The Operational Behaviors of the 4L60E 1-2 Shift Valve & 1-2 Shift Solenoid:

4L60EOILFLOW2SHIFTSOLENOID1.jpg

ROT (Rule Of Thumb)

If you must R&R the Transmission Fluid Pan to deal with ONE Bad Shift Solenoid... Replace ALL the accessible Shift Solenoids with OEM Quality Components and the Transmission Fluid Filter while you have things exposed...

Also... Perhaps @TJBaker57 has a few tricks up his sleeve when using the Cell-Phone Torx Apps for causing Bi-Directional Selected Component Activation in lieu of the necessity for obtaining any of the otherwise Very Expensive Scan Tools ordinarily required in these Diagnostic Situations.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online