Load Range C/E Tires?

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
In the market for new tires. Smallest tire size that offers different load ranges is 265/70/17 which requires spacers and a lift, but just wondering if anyone here runs C or E rated load tires? Do you need to run them at a higher pressure even if you aren't towing or hauling much? Also, do they ride a lot rougher than regular load tires? Does the tread last longer too?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
E rides rougher. Can handle more weight. Wears about same. Can likely be ran at lower street pressure due ti ture strength. I ran them and there really is no need for E. I went D but woulda got C if offered in what i was buying.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Also higher load range tires weigh more, so they could impact mpg.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Was mostly interested in the durability aspect of them. I know they weigh more and have a strengthened sidewall, wasn't sure if the tread is altered or anything.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tread pattern is same. May have more plies but that is internal. They dont last longer if properly maintained.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Gonna try out the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires (255/65/17).

OEM Tires were 245/65/17 Michelin Cross Terrains. They were very smooth, quiet, and competent in inclimate weather and I got 42k miles on them before replacing them, even though they could have gone a bit more too.

Next I put 255/65/17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on. Excellent traction and handling in all conditions, and offered a capable grip for off roading and mudding. Got 40k out of them and basically ran them til they were bald.

Then I put the same size and tire on the next time, but they were the Revo 2's and I wasn't impressed firstly with their snow traction. Secondly, I was disappointed in their off road grip, as the tread pattern is much closer together than the original Revos. I thought this would IMPROVE treadwear, but I've only got 20k miles on them, and 2 of them didn't pass inspection. Told the guys I was getting new tires anyway, so they pushed them through. With this set I did a lot less off roading, 2 very mild winters, and the treadwear on them has been pretty bad.

I really like the Michelin LTX MS2, and I think they might be one of the best tires around, but I wanted something that offers more off road capability if I need it, so I thought I'd give the popular Wrangler Silentarmors a try. Not going with higher load rated tires... really have no inclination to since they won't last any longer.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
What are load ranges C n E? My tires have a number for load range and a letter for speed rating.
Mine are 109V, 109=2271lbs, V=149mph.
Are letter load ranges for off road tires?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
What are load ranges C n E? My tires have a number for load range and a letter for speed rating.

I think you have P tires (passenger car).

The letter load ratings are for LT tires (light truck)

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Denali n DOO said:

If you want to learn a thing or 2 about tires, the website of choice is Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. Not sure of the exact rating scale off hand, but unless otherwise specified, most tires are rated passenger, in that they won't be used in heavy duty applications. If you are running a heavy duty truck, and need to be able to run high PSI's like 70-80psi, then you need a C or E rated tire. They have increased sidewall strength to handle the extra pressure to handle increased load capacity.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think you have P tires (passenger car).

The letter load ratings are for LT tires (light truck)

I guess I've never considered LT tires because I never noticed that before. First flyer I look at, Goodyear Wrangler Terrritory $203, LT tire C rating, LT235-75-R15 C. Then the one beside it a General Grabber AT2, $159, LT235-75-R15 104S. I guess they do it both ways, maybe one is Canadian and other US?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I guess I've never considered LT tires because I never noticed that before. First flyer I look at, Goodyear Wrangler Terrritory $203, LT tire C rating, LT235-75-R15 C. Then the one beside it a General Grabber AT2, $159, LT235-75-R15 104S. I guess they do it both ways, maybe one is Canadian and other US?

Or i am mistaken...

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Or i am mistaken...

Looks like you are right...but weird these two are different, could even be a typo in the flyer. My 109V are crossover category with P for passanger like you say.

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
Just for FYI, load ranges specify plies. Load range E is a 10 ply.. D is 8 ply.. C is 6.. etc.

I'm so pathetic.. that after working in a military tire shop, I still remember the NSN for a 235/85R16 Load Range E tire. It is 2610-01-148-1635.

I know.. a whole new level of dork. I need a forced brainfart.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
I don't see much of a reason to go with the higher load rating unless your vehicle needs it. The avalanche has E rated tires running at only 50PSI instead of 80 because the ride is so terrible at 80. I have the michelin ltx ms2 on the TB and really like them. I would agree probally not the best for any major offroading. They do handle dry trails just fine for me though. Of course with the one tire fire (non g80) i cant do much offroading so all terrains wouldnt do me any good

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
AV8ER said:
I don't see much of a reason to go with the higher load rating unless your vehicle needs it. The avalanche has E rated tires running at only 50PSI instead of 80 because the ride is so terrible at 80. I have the michelin ltx ms2 on the TB and really like them. I would agree probally not the best for any major offroading. They do handle dry trails just fine for me though. Of course with the one tire fire (non g80) i cant do much offroading so all terrains wouldnt do me any good
80 is max load so unless the avalanche is hauling a trailer with a load of people and bed full of junk...it should have the normal pressure lower.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
80 is max load so unless the avalanche is hauling a trailer with a load of people and bed full of junk...it should have the normal pressure lower.

It calls for 50front 80 rear. Run 50 Most of the time. Typically only go to 65 in the rear even with over 1000 lbs in the bed.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I run my tires at 40/40 PSI all the time. Yes it does ride a bit rough but I have very low rolling resistance. 30 front and 35 rear seems low, and I do notice about 1 mpg drop too. Not that I'm all about MPG MPG MPG but still, I've never had a problem with the PSI I run in my tires.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
AV8ER said:
It calls for 50front 80 rear. Run 50 Most of the time. Typically only go to 65 in the rear even with over 1000 lbs in the bed.

DenaliHD66 said:
I run my tires at 40/40 PSI all the time. Yes it does ride a bit rough but I have very low rolling resistance. 30 front and 35 rear seems low, and I do notice about 1 mpg drop too. Not that I'm all about MPG MPG MPG but still, I've never had a problem with the PSI I run in my tires.

Ever run a chalk test?

I run about 30-33 typically to get good even wear.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:

I run 35/35 in the tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online