Lifted 2003 Trailblazer EXT

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry to hear you're moving on, but that's a nice list of options. Who told you it was a simple reset that would allow a no-cat truck to pass inspection, though? You need a PCM tune to get rid of that code permanently, and simple resets won't fool the emissions computers that I've heard of.

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
I disagree. nobody told me anything thats what i did to pass inspection. i reset the ecu drove about 50 miles then got it inspected. day or 2 later the light came back on. your not tricking the emission computer just dont have the code yet. If you try to reset ecu then get it hooked to emissions computer it wont read/pass because it will know it was just reset. You have to drive atleast 50miles or so preferbly highway before a emission computer will read/pass ecu after its been reset. people do this all the time in the lil poor city where im from.

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
yead dont wont to move on but need the lil money from it to buy a small car and invest in my online business that ive been neglecting, because of no money. :frown:.

im sure somebody will be happy for $2600. looks like one of the better deals in my current area! just need somebody to buy it!

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
2003trailext said:
I disagree. nobody told me anything thats what i did to pass inspection. i reset the ecu drove about 50 miles then got it inspected. day or 2 later the light came back on. your not tricking the emission computer just dont have the code yet. If you try to reset ecu then get it hooked to emissions computer it wont read/pass because it will know it was just reset. You have to drive atleast 50miles or so preferbly highway before a emission computer will read/pass ecu after its been reset. people do this all the time in the lil poor city where im from.
I don't see how that could be possible. In order for the "catylist" cycle to be completed the 02 sensor would have to pass the pcm's test cycle, that is what it is for. I've never seen a cycle complete on a gutted cat for any length of time before it set the code. The only way you could have passed is that emissions testing allows (depending on the year of the vehicle) 1 or 2 Readiness monitors to be incomplete and still pass the inspection. You got lucky to get in there at just the right time.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Back when we had emission testing here, I knew 2 people that passed emissions with a gutted cat. They would check if the cat was physically on the car with a mirror, and if the engine was burning clean enough you could pass emissions without it.

Google turning the check engine light off with spark plug foulers.

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Hypnotoad said:
Back when we had emission testing here, I knew 2 people that passed emissions with a gutted cat. They would check if the cat was physically on the car with a mirror, and if the engine was burning clean enough you could pass emissions without it.

Google turning the check engine light off with spark plug foulers.
it tried this and have one up there now. might have to try and squeeze to in there in see if that helps.

2003trailext

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
BlazingTrails said:
I don't see how that could be possible. In order for the "catylist" cycle to be completed the 02 sensor would have to pass the pcm's test cycle, that is what it is for. I've never seen a cycle complete on a gutted cat for any length of time before it set the code. The only way you could have passed is that emissions testing allows (depending on the year of the vehicle) 1 or 2 Readiness monitors to be incomplete and still pass the inspection. You got lucky to get in there at just the right time.
i can tell you from first hand experience when i reset my check engine light i can drive atleast 50+(i drove over 100+ before triggering at times) miles before it comes back on.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
2003trailext said:
it tried this and have one up there now. might have to try and squeeze to in there in see if that helps.
I've heard of people stuffing the fouler with steel wool to trick the computer too.

Reactions: BlazingTrails
Mar 24, 2014
Bristol PA
FYI, Most emissions Machines need 4 of the 6 codes set to pass an inspection for emissions.. the last to set would be the catalyst system.. I did this same thing when I bought my voy before I was able to effectively repair my codes for SAIS.

It is a bit tricky to get timing down but the Op is correct about 50 miles will set enough flags to pass as long as major engine issues aren't present. the SAIS is one of the last items to check since it is only effective during a cold start. and It wont pop the first error it see's it will wait until another cold cycle happens and verify its findings.

Sorry to see you move on.
-Bill

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dakis

Members Online

No members online now.