NEED HELP Leaking differential fluid after changing disconnect

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I rebuild a donor 4wd disconnect with the awd sleeve, it went together nicely, but I couldn't figure out which way the awd sleeve went, one side looked smaller then the other, I guessed and it went together fine.
When I went to install it, it bolted onto the oil pan just fine, bolted it up and tried to insert the cv shaft, no go. I had to hammer the shaft in, it moved a little but not much.
I removed the CV shaft and then removed the disconnect again, but this time the shaft that goes thru the oil pan came with it, and leaked a bunch of diff fluid.
Once I got the shaft removed from the disconnect I put it back into the oil pan to stop the leak. Opened the disconnect flipped the awd sleeve around, popped the cv shaft into the disconnect while off the vehicle then contained to install it again. Everything fit normal, went back together smooth, topped off the diff and drive it around the block a few times, no leaks, looked fine. On my way home I decided to pull over on the side of the highway because I smelt differential fluid. Crawled under and saw it leaking fluid where the diff meets the motor. I tried to top up the diff but as soon as I opened the plug it started leaking. So I contained on my way home.
Once home I crawled under again and tried to top up the diff, but it was still full. I cleaned off the bottom of the oil pan with brake clean and I can see it leaking slowly where the diff mounts to the oil pan.
It drives normal, it was a 30km drive home on the highway. No clunks, 4x4 selector switch works. I am not exactly sure what to do now, I am afraid to drive it. It is definitely diff fluid from the way it smells. What could I of messed up? Is it possible the shaft that goes thru the oil pan isn't all the way thru? Wouldn't the disconnect push the shaft? If the awd sleeve was indeed installed backwards could I of messed something up?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you accidentally pulled the shaft that goes through the pan to the diff, fluid leaked out as you saw. There was probably still some in there when you put the shaft back in and it's just seeping out at each end. The fact it's not going down the diff supports this theory. Keep and eye on it and it will stop eventually.

Reactions: aaronbtb

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
I ment to upload these pictures

Attachments

• IMAG0472.jpg
    IMAG0472.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 23

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Thanks Mooseman, I'll keep an eye on the fluid
How much would it leak? I posted a couple pictures after my drive home

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends on how much spilled out into the tube. Whatever you had to fill the first time, likely that much will seep out.

aaronbtb

Original poster
May 16, 2015
Thanks man, I really really want you to be right. I'll keep you posted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vulcantoolman

Members Online