Just a point

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
I want to point out just how bad 4$$ the 360 platform is, especially when it comes to towing. I know these are fantastic vehicles and yet I find myself looking at other vehicles so I can have more cargo space, but it is so hard to find anything that isnt an extreme that can match our towing capacity, My 04 envoy can tow 6,100 pounds. Most newer vehicles and Light to mid size trucks clear half that and only more if you pay out the nose for it.
Did we do a switch at some point where the ability to tow something behind us became not important?
Crazy to think a brand new 2024 Silverado, Sierra, Tundra, have the average towing capacity that we have on a vehicle that is 20 years old and an SUV and is 2,500 pounds less gross weight.
Hard to believe that someone at GM made the decision to retire the platform

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There was actually a change in the standard to measure towing capacities since the 360/370 came out. More than likely the ratings on them would have been cut drastically to meet those new standards. They would have failed just on the parking brake alone. The grade pulling test would have killed the cooling system. Braking would have been brutal.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and with an almost *Magical Stock Torque Converter Stall Speed* of 2,400 RPM... the GMT360 Atlas 4200 Vortec Engines could make the MOST out of the Six Cylinder Power Band for shifting the 4L60E A4 Gears while towing as well:

Attachments

• TCSTALLSPEEDS.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 1

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
There was actually a change in the standard to measure towing capacities since the 360/370 came out. More than likely the ratings on them would have been cut drastically to meet those new standards. They would have failed just on the parking brake alone. The grade pulling test would have killed the cooling system. Braking would have been brutal.

High free wheeling right there lol

Ive been looking heavily at the new silverados. Thought tundra but man I do not like all the power train control right on center console where i put stuff.
I have my eye on a 2020 Silverado 1500 trailboss z71 right now.
Been reading up on potential issues and such. 58k miles. $40k dealership, want to try and talk him down to $35k

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online