Just a few opinions

rcwest42

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hey fellows new to posting on here. I have had my 07 TBSS for about 8 months now. Done a few things to it (efans, PCMforless thermostat, K&N CAI, and superchip tuner) just wanted opinions on what some of you thought would be best to do next. Want more HP like everyone else :smile: but just trying to figure out my next step.
Thanks in advance

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
rcwest42 said:
Hey fellows new to posting on here. I have had my 07 TBSS for about 8 months now. Done a few things to it (efans, PCMforless thermostat, K&N CAI, and superchip tuner) just wanted opinions on what some of you thought would be best to do next. Want more HP like everyone else :smile: but just trying to figure out my next step.
Thanks in advance

Exhaust seems to be the next logical step.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Do you just want to do performance mods or some appearance mods also? If so do you have a picture of the truck to put up?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
you have the basics there... i would agree with the exhaust mod, but that will not net you much performance gains as the stock exhaust is very free flowing... the only reason i have a full exhaust on my SS is because it came with the truck... if it didnt.. there is no way i wouldve spent $800 bucks to throw the Corsa Sport on.. so save your money and chop the resonator off and just add a magnaflow muffler or flowmaster... the next "bolt-on" performance would be H/C (heads/cam), or a 3000-3400 stall, or LT Headers...but be careful.. your going to start throwing alot of power to the stock tranny... shes not going to hold much.. so if your serious about performance.. definetly look into either beefing up your factory tranny, or buying a new one :twocents:

check out Trailblazer SS performance Upgrades SS Shootout... they break it down pretty good for you there as far as bolt-on power...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
how much $$$ you looking to spend in the long run is the question?

if you are done with bolt ons and looking at some big boy mods then i'd start at the drivetrain. i've got a yank ptb3200 stall converter and i'd highly recommend it. depending on what you are looking for you may want to go with a lower or higher stall. for example down the road if you are looking at a cam that will do better on the top end then you'll want a higher stall.

of course the reason i say start at the drivetrain is because you'll want to do some trans mods regardless. shift kit, servos, clutch pack, 2-4 band, sunshell, sprag; its about $1k worth of parts plus labor on top of that but if you're looking at making your brick haul ass then you'll have to do it regardless

After that i'd go cam ($400 for a cam, $500 for valvtrain; springs lifters pushrods etc.. plus labor) again what cam grind to go with depends on what you are going for

if you're going to get some fancy heads then do that along with the cam. an experienced builder will be able to lead you in the right direction. alvin at pcm4less has put down some nice power with some of his combos.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well said jimmy....

And I can vouge for that 3200 stall.. I'm still grinin over my historic ride in the hybrid :crackup:

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
you have the basics there... i would agree with the exhaust mod, but that will not net you much performance gains as the stock exhaust is very free flowing... the only reason i have a full exhaust on my SS is because it came with the truck... if it didnt.. there is no way i wouldve spent $800 bucks to throw the Corsa Sport on.. so save your money and chop the resonator off and just add a magnaflow muffler or flowmaster... the next "bolt-on" performance would be H/C (heads/cam), or a 3000-3400 stall, or LT Headers...but be careful.. your going to start throwing alot of power to the stock tranny... shes not going to hold much.. so if your serious about performance.. definetly look into either beefing up your factory tranny, or buying a new one :twocents:

check out Trailblazer SS performance Upgrades SS Shootout... they break it down pretty good for you there as far as bolt-on power...

You have a Corsa and can seriously recommend someone go with a Flowmaster? Flowmaster is crap and sounds horrible with tons of drone. You get what you pay for and Corsa is worth every penny. I will be getting one once my 3SS conversion is done.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
91RS said:
You have a Corsa and can seriously recommend someone go with a Flowmaster? Flowmaster is crap and sounds horrible with tons of drone. You get what you pay for and Corsa is worth every penny. I will be getting one once my 3SS conversion is done.

You must of not sat in an SS with a Corsa.. there is drone..sometimes very annoying... and at meets, I've heard my exhaust, then the cheap way of doing the exhuast with cutting the resonator off and adding a muffler be it flowmaster OR magnaflow.. and the only difference was mine was juuuuuust a little bit deeper in tone.. until I get long tube headers will it wake up the Corsa.. and for the almost same noise and in this economy.. I guarentee if it didn't come on my SS when I bought it, I would've gone the resonator delete an add muffler route.. I'm not bashing Corsa and I love my Exhaust..and would/do recommend it to others.. but at almost $800 dollars for a full catback, I sure could spend that amount on other mods..like a stall & cam.. the OP asked what "should" be the next step for perfomance.. and you know as well as I do that a catback corsa doesn't add the HP people would hope.. so for sound purposes, that's why I "recommended" resonator delete and add a flowmaster OR magnaflow...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
yeah imo an exhaust on a stock engine is just for sound preference. if you put ear plugs in, SOTP effect is negligible

now, put a converter in there, stall that thing for half a second and launch... well.. ask carlton (i told him to hold on to his phone)

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
You must of not sat in an SS with a Corsa.. there is drone..sometimes very annoying... and at meets, I've heard my exhaust, then the cheap way of doing the exhuast with cutting the resonator off and adding a muffler be it flowmaster OR magnaflow.. and the only difference was mine was juuuuuust a little bit deeper in tone.. until I get long tube headers will it wake up the Corsa.. and for the almost same noise and in this economy.. I guarentee if it didn't come on my SS when I bought it, I would've gone the resonator delete an add muffler route.. I'm not bashing Corsa and I love my Exhaust..and would/do recommend it to others.. but at almost $800 dollars for a full catback, I sure could spend that amount on other mods..like a stall & cam.. the OP asked what "should" be the next step for perfomance.. and you know as well as I do that a catback corsa doesn't add the HP people would hope.. so for sound purposes, that's why I "recommended" resonator delete and add a flowmaster OR magnaflow...

Not an SS (yet), but countless Corvettes and a few trucks. My mom's 05 Tahoe with the 5.3L has a Corsa Sport and there is no drone so I don't see why an SS would be much different. As far as HP gains, cutting the resonator and replacing the muffler by an exhaust shop probably won't get a gain at all if the exhaust shop uses crappy rough transitions and welds like 95% of them do). So another reason for paying for a cat-back is perfect bends, pipe transitions, and stainless steel pipe that looks better than factory. I'll be doing American Racing headers (catted) and a Corsa. Maybe not worth it to some, but it is for others. I had the Magnaflow cat-back on my I6 and it was worth every penny to me.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Originally Posted by Boricua SS<br />
<br />
<br />
Not an SS (yet), but countless Corvettes and a few trucks. My mom's 05 Tahoe with the 5.3L has a Corsa Sport and there is no drone so I don't see why an SS would be much different. As far as HP gains, cutting the resonator and replacing the muffler by an exhaust shop probably won't get a gain at all if the exhaust shop uses crappy rough transitions and welds like 95% of them do). So another reason for paying for a cat-back is perfect bends, pipe transitions, and stainless steel pipe that looks better than factory. I'll be doing American Racing headers (catted) and a Corsa. Maybe not worth it to some, but it is for others. I had the Magnaflow cat-back on my I6 and it was worth every penny to me.

Agreed... I love my Corsa..and when I get my LT headers (either kooks, pacesetters, or obx) I'll love it even more... but there isn't much HP to gain from a catback either.. and since the OP wants "performance" a stall will be the next best thing to do.. not the exhaust.. be it catback or the cheaper route...

And jimmy, your truck hurt my neck that night too lol... I surely didn't expect that hard of a launch haha...

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
You may want to rething that Superchips Tune.......and go with someone that has done many TBSS tunes, Black Bear, PCM 4 Less, and quite a few others...an out of a box tune, may wake it up a bit, but a tuner who knows these trucks would probably get you a little more than you have. as for the exhaust on your Mom's Tahoe.....that's apples and oranges....our trucks are smaller and have less airspace inside them, so we have more of the "drone" effect than a Tahoe does. You will definitely want to beef up the Trans, and a stall will help too....There are tons of things you can do, Ever post has some excellent Ideas, It just comes down to how deep your pockets are and what you are really tryin to accomplish.:twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online