Is this normal

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Noticed a thumping noise the other day and noticed that the rear pass. side sway bar bushings has about an 1/8" of play. Just replaced them and the links not that long ago. Third set I had to put on this thing in 4 years! Seems excessive. Are these things prone to failure? They are the blue MOOG brand.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Some "On Topic" Opinions from TV:

You've probably used these before...but whenever installing the Poly-Urethane Style Bushings... applying the Synthetic Lube in EXTRA amounts will go a l-o-n-g way with keeping the Weird "Body Roll Squeaks" from ever happening:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could disconnect an end link and see if that's what is causing the noise. Rubber, which is what I think you used, does compress over time. If that is the cause of the noise, you could use polyurethane bushings or delete the whole sway bar. Some have done that and not suffered any adverse effects as its benefit is minimal, unlike the front bar.

Reactions: Redbeard

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
You can drive these without a rear sway bar? Didn't know that. Anyway I use the blue MOOG Polly bushings. No squeaks just thumping. Like I said they wear out fast for some reason. End links are 2 months old. MOOG brand as well. Maybe the sway bar is worn down, idk. Just tired of replacing these components every 3-4 months.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One small snag with making suspension changes involves the "Fine Print" in most Automotive Insurance Policies. Ergo... I,FG (If, God Forbid) such a modified vehicle were involved in any accident, the Investigation from the Insurance Adjusters might determine a need to shift the liability over to the Owner and end up invalidating the Policy and Coverage. This is not a trivial consideration because altering the OEM design of the suspension can be argued as central to the cause of any accident.

Reactions: Stuntmanmike1977

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online