Is it time for new O2 sensors

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My 5.3L Denali is approaching 170K km's (100 K miles) and i have heard the O2 sensors should be replaced at about 100K miles. Is this accurate? Should i do all 4 sensors? Are the sensors like our spark plugs and somewhat sensitive to brand? What brand seems to work best if they are sensitive? I would think that replacement should be straight forward if not a little painful on a couple of the sensors.

I like to do the preventative maintenance so that it doesn't become a panic situation. Want to thank all who chip in for their time. This site has been a godsend for the last 7 years i have had the Denali.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Some replace them, some don't or just wait until they fail or have poor performance. If you do replace them, just do the upstream ones as the downstream only check if the cat is working properly. And yes, ACDelco is preferred.

Reactions: mrrsm and djthumper

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Some replace them, some don't or just wait until they fail or have poor performance. If you do replace them, just do the upstream ones as the downstream only check if the cat is working properly. And yes, ACDelco is preferred.
Thanks Moose that is exactly what i wanted.

Reactions: mrrsm

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Just remember it may take a lot of work to get the old one out...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's "ones" with an s, he has two on the V8. :biggrin:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Personally, I do them every plug change (every 160,000 Km on the I6 engine) just to prevent them from seizing to the manifold. (That can cause a LOT of problems.) They are exposed to the exhaust stream every second the vehicle is running, so it just makes sense that they will deteriorate over the years.

Or, if you wanted a more scientific answer, put it on a scanner and look at the readings. You will seem them get a bit 'lazy' after a few years; not enough to light a code, but enough to affect performance. You can tell instantly if they are starting to go bad. (A good sensor will vary readings up and down from 100 mV to 900 mV many times a second.)

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
It is not getting the old ones out, it is getting the harnesses disconnected and then connected that is the hard job in the V8. Really tough access to the harness .....

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks to all who replied,I will take your advice. I will start with a scan to see if i can pick up any lazy sensors then replace the upstream whether they appear good or bad. If i get a downstream that is looking lazy I think I will replace that as well. A few good swear words and lots of patience will usually get the job done. Thanks again looks like i have another project.

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks to all who replied,I will take your advice. I will start with a scan to see if i can pick up any lazy sensors then replace the upstream whether they appear good or bad. If i get a downstream that is looking lazy I think I will replace that as well.
Don't worry about the downstream sensors. Their readings should be quite steady. If the downstream sensors start to vary readings as quickly as the upstream ones, it will throw a code that your cat performance is off. Replacing the downstream sensors contributes nothing to performance; they are only there to monitor cat efficiency.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Don't worry about the downstream sensors. Their readings should be quite steady. If the downstream sensors start to vary readings as quickly as the upstream ones, it will throw a code that your cat performance is off. Replacing the downstream sensors contributes nothing to performance; they are only there to monitor cat efficiency.
Noted and acknowledged. I will leave these alone until codes start appearing. thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online