IS CASE relearn necessary?

dlnelsonroca

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Cacalote, Oaxaca, Mexico
Hello! I've replaced my PCM, getting one while on a trip to the US from the PCM place in North Carolina. But I live in southern Mexico, hours from a Chevy dealer or a mechanic with the needed scanner to do the relearn. Sometimes my engine light is on with the P0014 code, but often goes off for days, and then comes back on. It's on more than it's off. I need to know if it's worth the trouble to go get it done, a whole day gone plus trying to make sure that the technicians in southern Mexico really will do what I want them to do and not overcharge me. So my question is, What happens if I never get the CASE relearn done, besides having an annoying check engine light on?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
P0014 is timing over advanced and normally points to the cpas. I'm not sure what codes it throws when it wants the relearn but it'd be codes to do with the crank sensor I imagine.

If it indeed does need a case relearn, all that neglecting it really does is gives you a permanent check engine light with codes for it. From what I remember there are no other I'll effects.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would need a Tech 2 or a shop or dealer with one to do the CASE relearn. Apparently a Snap On Solus scanner can also do it.

Usually it's a P0345 code when a relearn is required, which is required 99% of the time you replace the PCM. P0014 is usually an issue with the CPAS but is possible the CASE relearn is affecting the camshaft angle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online