IPC/DIC rebuild.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
My new used GMC came to me with a parasitic battery drain. That's actually what led me here.

I quickly tracked it down the the IPC/DIC. It was pulling over 300ma. I was told it was the silver migration causing it to never sleep.

I would tell you to avoid sending your cluster to https://www.gmgaugerepair.com/.

I wrapped my pristine yet malfunctioning cluster in 2 layers of 2" bubble wrap, then surrounded it with a layer of 4" air bags, then I shipped it with $300 insurance on it.

When I got it back the lense cover was busted up on one end. It does work properly now though.

I called Todd at gmgaugerepair before I even finished unpacking it. He said to finish unpacking it and call him back then hung up on me. I actually had the dash apart when it arrived to do the stereo so I finished unpacking it and hooked it up to make sure it still worked. While doing that Todd sent me a photo of a damaged unopened box.

I called Todd back and he told me "It was like that when we got it." I told him he should have immediately contacted me before doing anything with it.

I asked him if he could get me a new lense cover and he told me the Envoy one is impossible to find because of the silver trim around the guages. I told him I cared less about silver trim then the broken clear plastic. Then he told me the one for the Trailblazer is a direct fit it just doesn't have the silver trim and "I will ship you one of those first thing in the morning".

I thought that was great.

After I finished with the stereo I found he had emailed me less then an hour after talking to me on the phone. He accused me of breaking the cluster while trying to take it apart before shipping it to him and that he held no responsibility for the condition of the product I shipped to him.

Since he took it apart and rebuilt it anyways, my claim with UPS doesn't look promising but I'll try anyways. Luckily the bezel trim covers the hole and the 2 cracks that do show are not very noticeable unless the light hits them just right.

From the look of that box the cluster probably was damaged in shipping and he did recieve it that way. But because he didn't contact me and just did the rebuild anyways, he pretty much screwed me.

Cluster 01.jpgCluster 02.jpg

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
That's unfortunate to hear. I've had them do all the IPC work on my Envoy, and friends/neighbors GM vehicles. The box does look like something like UPS tossed around, I've had a few computer components show up like that from them and the post office too. Nowadays whenever I ship something, no matter what it is I video/take pictures of the boxing and unboxing and try to pack it with 3 to 4 inches of materials.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
It was packed with 2 layers of bubblewrap then surrounded with 4" air bags. I didn't take photos before I shipped it but... I stumbled across a photo of my Envoy that shows the box I shipped the cluster in and my box is not in that picture he sent me.

When I sent him a picture of the box I used he stopped replying to my emails.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fiddlermatt

Members Online