• Quick disconnects and electrical tape or butt connectors
  • Crimping tool

Optional:
  • Dremel with plastic cutoff wheel
  • Small flat head screwdriver or pick tool
  • Paint supplies
  • Clamp or vice
  • Silicone sealant

The Avalanche LED 3rd brake light can be found on Ebay for upwards of $50. There are a number of vendors that carry slightly different styles as far as color and number of LEDs, but fitment-wise, there is no difference and model year does not matter. The one I used was the least expensive, and it had the most LEDs available.

100_0247.jpg

Step 1: Remove the stock 3rd brake light.

First, open your lift gate and locate the small rubber plug where the brake light wiring enters the truck, and pop it out.

IMAG0150.jpg

You'll have a couple inches of wire to feed from the opening, until you reach the square shaped wiring harness. It's a tight fit, but with a bit of wiggling, it will come free.

IMAG0152.jpg

Now close the lift gate, and open the lift gate glass. You'll see where the brake light wire feeds down next to the lift gate glass hinge. Pull the wiring up through the opening.

IMAG0151.jpg

Once that's out, remove the 2 screws on either end of the brake light, and you're clear.

100_0249.jpg

Step 2: Modifying the Avalanche brake light wiring

You'll notice 2 differences between the Avalanche light and the stock GMT360/370/305 brake light. The connector is a different shape, and the wiring is way too short. To fix this, we'll use our quick disconnects or butt connectors.

Cut off the Avalanche connector as close to the connector as possible. Measure out the approximate length of the Avalanche wiring on the stock wiring and make your cut there. Using your connectors, connect the yellow wire on the stock segment (positive) to the white wire on the Avalanche light. Connect the 2 black wires to each other.

100_0257.jpg

If you have a battery pack, spare computer power supply, or test bench of some kind, you can test your connections to make sure they work.

100_0258.jpg

If you are happy with the results, you can reverse step 1 and install your new 3rd brake light. If you want to paint the reflector inside, continue to the next step.

100_0262.jpg

Step 3: Cutting open your Avalanche brake light

There are a few different ways to try opening up a sealed light housing. I tried using a heat gun, and the bake method, with poor results and ended up with slightly deformed mounting points. I found that using some plastic-specific Dremel cutting wheels performed the best.

IMAG0154.jpg

Align the wheel horizontally with the light, and cut around the edges. You'll be cutting through the outer plastic lens, a layer of adhesive, another layer of the plastic lens, and another layer of adhesive before getting down to the base itself. Don't worry about scratching the base, it won't be visible once installed.

IMAG0130.jpg

Once you have the lens off, you can clean out the bit of lens that's left around the bottom of the base using a screwdriver or pick tool. Then it's time to get the lights removed. The reflector is attached to the base by several dabs of silicone in the mounting channels. Here are some closeups of the ends and center channels.

IMAG0135.jpg
IMAG0134.jpg
IMAG0133.jpg

You can pull the reflector up gently so you can wedge your fingers underneath. From that point, pull a bit harder and the silicone will give way.

IMAG0131.jpg

The LED board is held to the reflector by small screws, so remove those and set them aside. The rubber grommet for the wires can be pinched on the "outside" and fed through the hole.

IMAG0132.jpg

Step 4: Painting the reflector and base

The reflector does not take up all of the visible space behind the lens. Small sections of the sides and bottom lip of the base can be seen, so those need to be painted as well. If you have a touch up paint kit, it may come in handy here since it's such a small area.

IMAG0141.jpg

Moving on to the reflector, apply the necessary coats to get the desired coverage.

IMAG0140.jpg
IMAG0139.jpg

Once everything is dry, reassemble by putting the brake light in a clamp, and running a bead of silicone sealant around the edge where you cut.

IMAG0143.jpg

Let that set and cure, then you're ready to install and enjoy.

IMAG0145.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Great How-To Carlton... this maybe in my near future.. but it would look awkward as I don't have led tails or bulbs..

One question though to help myself and maybe others... what year or years avalanche light will fit our application?..

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Boricua SS said:
Great How-To Carlton... this maybe in my near future.. but it would look awkward as I don't have led tails or bulbs..

:undecided: Sounds like a good excuse for the mod bug to take a stroll through Ebay to me!!

Boricua SS said:
One question though to help myself and maybe others... what year or years avalanche light will fit our application?..

All of the available lights are the same shape, so any of the ones you find will fit :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Sounds like a good excuse for the mod bug to take a stroll through Ebay to me!!

All of the available lights are the same shape, so any of the ones you find will fit :thumbsup:

:tongue: I wouldn't know where to begin to look.. all the horror stories I read through the years.. and hell some of them bulbs costs more then the 3rd brake light mod lol..

Ah... thank you for clerifying about the years... off to ebay I search!

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Okay I got the led 3rd brake light, my question is has anyone used anything other than the dremel to open up the light inorder to paint it and second instead of opening the light up has anyone tried a tint to cover the outside and how well did that work? I would like to keep it red ( factory look ) just want to know what I can do besides opening up the light, Thanx for your response.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
TexazReece said:
Okay I got the led 3rd brake light, my question is has anyone used anything other than the dremel to open up the light inorder to paint it and second instead of opening the light up has anyone tried a tint to cover the outside and how well did that work? I would like to keep it red ( factory look ) just want to know what I can do besides opening up the light, Thanx for your response.

There was a person that VHT the light and it works fine depending how dark you go on the shades really. But how do you plan to keep it red if that light is chrome? Kind of confused on what your asking exactly :undecided: or did you get the led factory ones that come on the newer GMTs?

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I have the red vht but I was trying to find out if anyone used tint film instead on the brake light. I really dont want to cut open the light housing inorder to paint the Chrome reflector inside like in the how to. Was thinking about using a red tint film on the outside of the light housing but wanted to see if anyone has tried it

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
TexazReece said:
I have the red vht but I was trying to find out if anyone used tint film instead on the brake light. I really dont want to cut open the light housing inorder to paint the Chrome reflector inside like in the how to. Was thinking about using a red tint film on the outside of the light housing but wanted to see if anyone has tried it

Oh well tint film will work of course depending how dark you get it, only thing with film is how well it holds is all! The tint film is on the outside so with rain, snow dirt etc it can get ruined no idea. I personally do not recommend it but there not crazy expensive so you can try it out and see how well it holds! Stuff peals off well if you don't want it anymore :thumbsup:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Thanx for your help ItsOnVoy....I think I might try that out and if it doesn't work/look good then I'll do it the way Carlton showed us lol

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think red tinted vinyl should work fine. Since you can take the 3rd brake light out, you can sort of have the vinyl wrapped around the edges, so it shouldn't be prone to getting peeled off by the weather. There's tons of stuff on Ebay for cheap (I've had my eye on some for another idea) and just like Plastidip, if you don't like it, you can peel it right off. :yes:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I ordered some of the red out taillight vinyl should be here Mon or tues will post pics on how it looks

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
My 3rd break light is actually covered in film tint. You really can't tell and I figured I'd do it like this in case I need to ever have it stock.
4b5bf31a-93f2-6d3e.jpg

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Forgot to mention, I had tint left over so I did my reflectors which can be seen in the above picture as well as the reflectors on the front driver & passenger side doors. I figured it was something kinda different to do. :cool:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I just installed brake light but did anyone have small gaps on left side and right side if the 3rd brake light? I tested it out and water will get through the ends of the lights.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
TexazReece said:
I just installed brake light but did anyone have small gaps on left side and right side if the 3rd brake light? I tested it out and water will get through the ends of the lights.

:confused: Got pics? Only gap I had, was between the lens and the base due to cutting mine open. Some silicone should fill in any gaps you've got, and keep water out.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I guess I got a bad one, I don't like the gaps on the ends I will post the pics as soon as I get to my computer

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Here are the pics of the gaps I was talking about. I may order another from a different seller because I really dont want to have to put sealant wanted a nice flush clean look.

Leftside view:
View attachment 20643

Rightside view:
View attachment 20644

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 9

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So you cut the lens off where it is seen through the body of the truck and not all the way at the edges of the light?

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I didn't cut it open I just used some red taillight vinyl then installed. U tjink its different because of it being an 08 TB?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:confused: I'm confused, I don't see where the gap is. If you didn't cut the light open, then you don't need to worry about water going anywhere it's not supposed to.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
mine has gaps as well.. but my factory light that i took out had the same exact gaps.. so it doesnt bother me... if water does get in there, it will just channel out down the pillars..

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
The gaps are in the corner on the right and top+bottom corners of the light. Just gonna get some sealant for now.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
mine has gaps as well.. but my factory light that i took out had the same exact gaps.. so it doesnt bother me... if water does get in there, it will just channel out down the pillars..

Aww man I thought I got a bad light because in the pics installed on other gmt's it seemed as tho it was clean installs with no gaps thanks for the info.......just water getting in just worries me sealant here I come

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
TexazReece said:
Aww man I thought I got a bad light because in the pics installed on other gmt's it seemed as tho it was clean installs with no gaps thanks for the info.......just water getting in just worries me sealant here I come

as soon as i get her back from the dealership and her new heart transplant, i'll snap some pix for you for ease of mind... :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You don't need sealant for that. Rainwater that goes in the gap between the liftgate and the body at the roof, drains to that area, and then out through the D pillars. That's the same as putting sealant in your roof rack rails so water doesn't get into the caps in the front (which drains out through the A pillars)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online