If you're happy with your TB/Envoy, let me know

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Been studying up before the purchase of a TB, and all this studying has done is make me concerned about buying one.

* Does everyone actually clean their throttle body once a month, or is that just for perfectionists?
* Never jump your truck unless you follow the "8 steps to prevent blowing fuses or actuators"?
* Always carry extra lamps, fuses and a host of other parts or threaten to be stranded?

Come on everyone, are these trucks that bad or does the sarcasm out weigh the issues? I can joke with the best of them (you), but I don't want to go into a purchase with this level of concern. The theme of issues is too common throughout.

Put me at ease or put me out of misery.

Thanks in advance!
Robb

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I cleaned my throttle body once in 100,000 miles, and I don't carry extra parts. I do carry extra fuses, but I do that with all my cars. Besides, cleaning the TB is easy. If you can change a tire, you can clean your throttle body.

The guys that carry extra parts, for the most part, are heavy into offroading.

I love my Trailblazer. My only complaint is the gas mileage. If I were to do it over again, i'd look for one with 3.42 gears instead of the 3.73 gears mine has. I get about 16-17 miles to the gallon, I've read about people getting into the low 20s with 3.42 gears.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I'm happy with mine! It sure does it's job and then some. No fuses or bulbs here, no battery removal problem with actuators, no fan clutch problem, no sunroof problems, no 4x4 problems. Some other stuff may have gone wrong but coming here to understand the problem and have it fixed or fix it myself has saved me time and money. No vehicle is perfect but it's nice to know what your up against. Not all common problems occur in all GMT vehicles. We're just a handful of owners helping each other, a pretty small sampling of all the GMT owners. I think while your looking if you can find one that had regular maintenance done to it, fluids etc, you'll be happy with it. Lots of help here at GMTNation for anything that does come up. For me, knowing that GMTNation and it's members are here to help is probably the first reason I'd buy another GMT 360 if I were to get rid of this one, but being as I really like this one I won't be trading it for a long time...

Have faith, go find yourself a nice one and be picky about it :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Hypnotoad said:
The guys that carry extra parts, for the most part, are heavy into offroading
Yeah. I'm like the poster child for carrying too much stuff on week-long expeditions. OffRoad TB - View topic - The Roadie's Build - 2004 GMC Envoy

Normal advice for cleaning the throttle body is 30K miles. About three times per spark plug replacement cycle.

What active enthusiast forums like this one do is concentrate the discussions. What's missing are the MILLIONS of GMT360, 370, and 305 vehicles owned by happy non-enthusiasts who don't seek out forums.

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Nicely stated D...

I've had no problems that have caused me to regret getting Canyonaro...
There are the usual things that every car / truck has to deal with, but like others have said, if you do your research and maintenance, things aren't bad to deal with.

This site has taken the "fear" out of truck ownership as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Love mine. no major issues. coolant thermostat needs to be replaced and my rear actuator is going out, but as we all know...sh!t happens(my wife's Nissan has a permanent stall at the local shop). i feel confident that it will get me and my family wherever I need to be. Being in MI, my only suggestion would be to look for a G80 (something I wish I would have known before I purchased mine last year). Treat it good and it will return the favor. Sounds like you have ample knowledge(after reading your other thread) to trouble shoot and fix most everything that may come up. As stated, keep an eye on the TB and clean when needed......and remember, The Nation is here for you if anything happens.

I would buy another in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Robbabob said:
* Does everyone actually clean their throttle body once a month, or is that just for perfectionists?
* Never jump your truck unless you follow the "8 steps to prevent blowing fuses or actuators"?
* Always carry extra lamps, fuses and a host of other parts or threaten to be stranded?

I clean the t-body once a year which is somewhere between 15-20k miles.

It's a good idea to carry "known to fail and leave you stranded without warning" parts in any vehicle. Carrying an ignition switch in my tb is no different then carrying a main relay in any of my hondas.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
I clean the t-body once a year which is somewhere between 15-20k miles.

It's a good idea to carry "known to fail and leave you stranded without warning" parts in any vehicle. Carrying an ignition switch in my tb is no different then carrying a main relay in any of my hondas.

That main relay can be a MOFO.

Overall I am very happy with my truck. I am sure I overpaid for it compared to everyone else. I bought near the end of 07 before all hell broke loose and gas prices doubled, NADA value was $20k when I bought it, 6 months later $12k. Prevented me from refinancing. Other than that the truck has been very good to me, other than the WTF was GM thinking moments it has been good. I admit I have been neglectful on some aspects which I intend to repair when I have the extra cash, for the most part it gives me very little problems.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I absolutely adore mine!! I have had a few minor and slightly big problems with my Envoy....but it's not going anywhere. Plus no matter what issues big or small that may come up, I know they will eventually be figured out because of the great community I am apart of here. We love the GMT family so much that my husband is getting one this spring. :biggrin:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
I'm happy with mine, had a couple of the usual problems (motor mount and thermostat) but otherwise it's been a fine vehicle. Wish the mpg was higher, but what can you expect from a 4x4 with 4.10 gears? Only cleaned the TB when I had the PCM tuned about 10K miles ago.

I remember talking to a VW Jetta owner several years ago and he raved about how well engineered it was. I asked him if he's had any problems with and he said "I've had the engine replaced twice and the transmission once, but other than that it's been perfect." :confused: I guess it's a matter of perspective.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I love my Envoy!!!! Every vehicle on the road is going to have some issues. Here their all in plain site, but don't let it discourage you. Most members have found this site looking for help with an issue. They get it resolved and stick around. If it was that bad we'd all be selling our rigs. Not having fun modding the life out of them, or buying a second one for the family.

Your only hearing the problems. I have an unhealthy love affair with my truck, or so the wife says ;-)

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
I'm happy with mine, had a couple of the usual problems (motor mount and thermostat) but otherwise it's been a fine vehicle. Wish the mpg was higher, but what can you expect from a 4x4 with 4.10 gears?

I remember talking to a VW Jetta owner several years ago and he raved about how well engineered it was. I asked him if he's had any problems with and he said "I've had the engine replaced twice and the transmission once, but other than that it's been perfect." :confused: I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Depends on the year Jetta. The fiance has an 06 and that thing is built like a damn tank, no issues with anything and the warranty is good until 100k miles. I just have to follow the maintenance plan, some things are a bit ridiculous, but others are easy. I know the TDI's from the early 00's had serious issues with lack of oil, for some reason they thought a 3 quart oil capacity was good for a turbo charged engine, later switched it up to 5.5. Her 2.5l holds 6 quarts. Overall nice vehicle and has alot of other features I wish other companies would add one.

I would love to know what the hell is wrong with my truck. I have the 3.42's and I average 15 city/town driving. Highway I manage to average 22 mpg. I am down to 13-14mpg now with the bigger tires, but highway I should see a nice increase.

lairdt

Dec 12, 2012
I bought my '04 TB almost two months ago, and love it. Friend has had an '02 TB LT since new and I always liked it, so when the wife said I could look, I found one I liked. No issues that I didn't expect with a used vehicle, did replace the thermostat right after purchase, but other than that it's doing as I'd expected.

Only two changes I'd really like to make - some form of limited slip in the rear diff, and a chip or other mod to get better throttle response. I'm not used to drive by wire and it's way of "knowing" what I want the engine to do. :smile:

Tom.

Techhead

Dec 12, 2012
Hi Robb,
Great thread you go going here...

I'm in the same boat as you are. Looking for an '08-'09 Envoy to replace an aging '99 GMC 1500.

I know what issues I have with the '99 GMC and was looking for the same type of info before jumping in with both feet, so to speak.

Frank

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Techhead said:
Hi Robb,
Great thread you go going here...

I'm in the same boat as you are. Looking for an '08-'09 Envoy to replace an aging '99 GMC 1500.

I know what issues I have with the '99 GMC and was looking for the same type of info before jumping in with both feet, so to speak.

Frank

Thanks Frank (and all),

Well, I started this thread after I had a different thread going asking about what to expect.
http://gmtnation.com/f23/considering-trailblazer-all-wheel-drive-4x4-what-expect-5887/

I got so much great information, I started getting worried about the brand, etc. I currently drive an '01 Dakota 4X4 QC, so I didn't know what to look (out) for during a purchase of the TB (for the wife). Obviously, the hardware under the skin is the same as the one you're looking to get, so the information within my threads is pretty relevant.

I'm at ease now, after reading so many good things in this thread. We'll take the "data to look for" items (from the other thread) with us on Friday and see about an '03 with just over 105K miles. I'm mechanically inclined but pretty auto illiterate when it comes to DIY. The Dodge forum is curing me pretty well, but I have a long way to go.

I'm looking forward to this vehicle purchase :wootwoot:, then upgrading my membership here to a paying student :thumbsup:, so I'll be guilt free accepting the help I'll be asking for. :raspberry:

If it was easy, it'd cost way too much! :rotfl:

Thanks again!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Get one that was loved and cared for if possible. These trucks are great if the maintenance was kept up. Expensive if not. Low miles and no history of overheating or water pump change would be best.

Absolutely have the compression checked before buying.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Get one that was loved and cared for if possible. These trucks are great if the maintenance was kept up. Expensive if not. Low miles and no history of overheating or water pump change would be best.

Absolutely have the compression checked before buying.

Makes me think of what to have checked before buying a boat, "always check compression!"

Transom = rear lid
gun wales = doors
cracks = weather stripping
Dry bilge = color/quality of oil
lights and gauges = lights and gauges

Just have to find a place to check compression. or buy the equipment :lipsrsealed: don't tell my wife :undecided:

Nice :smile:

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
I got mine from my mother in law. She towed a trailer that was too heavy, it killed the tranny, she kept doing it, the second tranny died after I got it.

That was her fault not the trucks. I have 180k on it now. I will drive it next week to from upstate ny to southern Va, stopping in MD and DC area. I have no reservations about doing it. Except the gas mileage. But my wife's suv isn't any better on gas. The only problem that gets to me sometimes is the only speaker in the truck that works is the passenger front door. I don't bother to fix it, lazy, old, a little of both. I have had it for 4 years now, haven't cleaned the throttle body, I will, or at least I keep telling myself I will, change the diff fluid and transfer case fluid. (maybe I'll just pay somebody, it's getting cold)

Anyhow, great truck, comfortable on 8 hour drives. Mine is an LS, I inherited it so not by choice. If I were to buy another it would be an lt or ltz for the creature comforts. I tow my boat with it, no problems. Other than the trans problem (user error) all it's ever been is maintenance items.

Just FYI, my mother in law gave it to us when she went and bought a newer one and she got a LT :sadcry:

esbob

Oct 14, 2012
I love mine. I HAVE had some issues with mine since I bought it, but it just rolled over 100k miles and some things are to be expected at that age.

I posted a list of my likes in the other thread you had posted wondering about issues.

mike_k

Dec 5, 2011
I love mine. No issues other than what is expected out of a vehicle with 100k miles :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Although I recently got a little peeved with mine I still like the truck and will definitely buy another to replace my current one when it wears out, no questions. The stuff that got me frustrated also happened due to age (10+), wear (167k miles and counting), plus it was a northern vehicle (NY originally, then Cleveland OH) so there are the associated salt-induced issues that any vehicle will get (plus I get the impression that while maintenance items were taken care of it wasn't really washed too often).

I don't carry any of the extra stuff mentioned except the standard spare set of fuses that comes with the truck. No, not even an ignition switch.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I have 2, 'nuff said. My 02 has ~140k on it now, original fan clutch, original tstat. Blew the power steering pump doing doughnuts (my fault) and botched a shift kit install. Had a shop fix it around 60-65k, been perfect since then. My SS has been solid as well, trans is starting to slip but not surprised at all. The LS2 in these things needs a stronger trans.

For towing, trans cooler is needed. I dont care if GM rated these things for 5200lbs or 6800lbs (2WD SS), they ALL need a trans cooler if you tow anything more than about 1500lbs. Even that on the highway for a long distance will generate some serious heat.

I have the old serp belt in my 02 and a set of jumper cables in both trucks. Thats really it, if Im going on a long trip Ill throw a small toolkit in the back.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
To everyone posting here,

This has turned out to be an awesome thread! I was initially looking for the good input, but now I see this as a means to remind the owners of how much they love they trucks!!!! Not just to post the issues and problems for help.

I look forward to all this site has to offer when we do purchase and continue to read the happy times (we) owners have with them!

Let the good times roll!!!!!!!! :wootwoot:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
You don't see too many 360's with altered suspensions unless they are a member of the nation or that other site. That is another awesome part of having one of these. From being sky high or down your 360 looks good both ways. Easy to mod and make your ride ..."your own".

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
I cleaned my throttle body once in 100,000 miles, and I don't carry extra parts. I do carry extra fuses, but I do that with all my cars.

This except the fuses part. Unless Chevy put a couple of spares under the fuse block cover. :smile:

And I'm extremely happy with my 03 TB.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Dad-O-Matic said:

That's so true,I was just telling my wife today how biased the car magazines are...you would think that foreign cars never broke.I remember reading a review of my Denali and they said (for cons) that it handled kind of "truck like" and the V8 sounded "kind of bubbly"....ya think?
We had three Maximas and two had trans failures and the last one flashed more codes than an enigma machine.
OH YEAH...I'M VERY HAPPY WITH MY ENVOY:thumbsup:...Mike.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Love mine. Room for the whole family, including the dog. had to replace the water pump & fan clutch this past summer, soldered the radio bulbs also. Like others have said, find one where the maintenance has been kept up and you should be in good shape.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I have two 03 Enovoy and a 03 Trailblazer love them both. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
xOgrex said:
This except the fuses part. Unless Chevy put a couple of spares under the fuse block cover. :smile:

And I'm extremely happy with my 03 TB.

Both fuse blocks have a full set of spare fuses. Plus the fuse blocks tend to be totally loaded with fuses even if you don't have all the options in the truck, so there are a few more here and there that can be used if need be.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
In 8 years i have changed the battery, breaks, and starter. It still runs great. Oil change once a year. We liked it so much we got a ss last year. :biggrin:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I love my SS. I don't carry the things I mentioned in your other thread, but have thought about purchasing a spare ignition switch and mega fuse.

I purchased my 2006 TBSS in September 2007 with 20K on the clock. In the 57K I've put on it, the only problem I have had is the typical failure of the fuel level sender. Nothing else has failed.

...yet. :ugh:

:biggrin:

Techhead

Dec 12, 2012
BO TIE SS said:
I love my SS. I don't carry the things I mentioned in your other thread, but have thought about purchasing a spare ignition switch and mega fuse.

I purchased my 2006 TBSS in September 2007 with 20K on the clock. In the 57K I've put on it, the only problem I have had is the typical failure of the fuel level sender. Nothing else has failed.

Has GM fixed the fuel level sender issue in the '08-'09 models?
I have a similar issue with my '99 GMC, learnt to live with it. Just a pain to reset my trip OD to ZERO every time I fill up.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
I am happy enough with my 2006 that I replaced the motor rather than replacing the truck.

Sometimes shit happens. With any model or make.

Chris

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Techhead said:
I have a similar issue with my '99 GMC, learnt to live with it. Just a pain to reset my trip OD to ZERO every time I fill up.

I reset my trip every fillup because I use it to keep track of mpg.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Techhead said:
GM has offered a 50/50 deal. They will pay for 50% of the repair. I don't know is this deal applies to certain years or not. I opted to fix it myself. I purchased a new sender on Ebay. I have yet to install it though.

Techhead

Dec 12, 2012
BO TIE SS said:
GM has offered a 50/50 deal. They will pay for 50% of the repair. I don't know is this deal applies to certain years or not. I opted to fix it myself. I purchased a new sender on Ebay. I have yet to install it though.

I know for my Sierra, they want almost $1200 to replace the sender. :crazy:
I opted out and live with it.
Besides I'd be lucky if the truck is worth just a bit more than that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online