Identifying Monroe quick struts?

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Is there any specific way to identify a quick strut? Does anybody have any pictures of them?

I've only had my TB about 2 months and its finally warm enough to crawl around under it. I clearly have Monroes on the front. The PO said he had the struts and shocks replaced about a year ago and it rides nice so I didn't concern myself with them at the time, knowing I would likely lower it in a year or two. It just occurred to me these may be the quick struts. I assume if these are quick struts, I will be needing to source a few more parts to accomplish the lowering with a belltech kit.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
A buddy of mine used them and one has failed within a year. The front of his XL was lower after a few months and this was noticeably lower. According to the GM parts counter, there are different spring rates for the XL but not sure on the SWB....all based on GVW. Not sure if Monroe has all there ducks in a row on this one.

If you are contemplating the strut change, I would strongly recommend removing the assemblies and take them with a new pair of Bilstein HD cartridges and pay someone a few bucks to swap them out, JMHO.

You can change them yourself but get the correct spring compressor, these coil-overs are mean so be careful.

Others I believe have had good luck with the quick struts, so I cannot comment on that.

Jul 24, 2012
cstern71 said:
Is there any specific way to identify a quick strut? Does anybody have any pictures of them?

I've only had my TB about 2 months and its finally warm enough to crawl around under it. I clearly have Monroes on the front. The PO said he had the struts and shocks replaced about a year ago and it rides nice so I didn't concern myself with them at the time, knowing I would likely lower it in a year or two. It just occurred to me these may be the quick struts. I assume if these are quick struts, I will be needing to source a few more parts to accomplish the lowering with a belltech kit.

I have them. Put them on 18 months ago or so.

I don't know how you would quickly distinguish them from OEM parts. I just looked at mine to see if
there was anything obvious. They pretty much look the same installed as what came out, I believe.

Maybe if you can read part number information on any stickers / tags.

smt 59

I don't have pics, but if you Google the quick strut and then the bilstein which is factory design you will see the difference and should be able to identify what you have. The Monroe does not have the lower spring mount plate.

Jul 24, 2012
I'll have the tires off tomorrow. I'll take a picture of my quick struts and post it.

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks guys. I would assume if you took it into a shop and said "change my struts" you would end up with the easiest strut to install which leads me to think quick strut. The idea behind them is great for regular people.

Jul 24, 2012
Well, actually there is a sticker i can see on the left side.
4amejavu.jpg
a9yja7ud.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If you decide on the quick struts, do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT throw out your OE assembly which has your OE springs.

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the pictures. Its raining here now so I'll have to look at mine closer later to see if they are quick struts.

I'm hoping they aren't so I won't have to source parts in the future.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Man, I'm out of it today. Sorry for the rant on your OE springs as you clearly stated they were Monroe.

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
gmcman said:
Man, I'm out of it today. Sorry for the rant on your OE springs as you clearly stated they were Monroe.

No worries man:thumbsup:

Your rant is exactly why I was hoping I don't have quick struts. I don't think I will be lowering until at least next year anyway. Its always hard to tell with a used vehicle what factory parts should look like since I don't have them.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
cstern71 said:
No worries man:thumbsup:

Your rant is exactly why I was hoping I don't have quick struts. I don't think I will be lowering until at least next year anyway. Its always hard to tell with a used vehicle what factory parts should look like since I don't have them.

Well hopefully the OE springs were used, while aged I feel better with them than with aftermarket right now.

Jul 24, 2012
I also see mine are stamped "QUICKSTRUT" above and around the cylinder from the sticker. The right side sticker on mine rubbed off when i tried to clean it up.

cstern71

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
I will have to look closer. I only recall seeing the Monroe logo up high on the strut. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the suspension and undercarriage still.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online