Identify This Bose System w/Pictures & RPO Code

SIEnvoy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
NYC
IMG952369.jpg IMG_2368.jpg Hello -

I am trying to troubleshoot why my passenger side speakers have stopped working in my 2004 GMC Envoy SLE. In trying to do, this I have become confused about what type of system I might have and how to confirm what is actually installed.

The RPO code in the glove box is UB1 which is supposed to be AM/FM stereo with CD player and cassette deck. This is also confirmed by what is stated on the original window sticker (see picture). However, the HU is branded Bose and only has a CD player. I purchased this vehicle new from the dealer as is. I assume the dealer might have switched head units before I purchased it. Could a Bose HU work without an amp? I do not believe they upgraded all the components because I do not have tweeters in the dashboard from what I can tell.

How can I confirm what this system actually is? I see some mention that the speaker grills should also be marked Bose - they are not. I understand that the amp would be on the driver side of the cargo area in the XUV. Is there any easier way to figure out what is installed without removing all the interior panels?

Thanks for any advice.

Nashcat

Oct 11, 2015
Middle TN
Have you removed and tested your speakers. I was going to pull my head unit to start looking for reason that both rear speakers had quit working in my '08 TB. Then I read how cheap the factory speakers are. Yep, both speakers had blown coils, and wouldn't make a sound. New speakers solved everything, plus it was easier than troubleshooting the head unit.

Nashcat

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you look in the dash cutouts, there will be speakers in there if it is a bose system. That's one of the easiest ways I believe. Don't think the head unit works without an amp.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
None of the speaker grills say Bose on them, including my Bose Premium system.

I believe you have a "standard" radio. The "premium" were the ones that had an amp and dash speakers. Just because it says Bose on the HU, doesn't mean it's the premium system.

Besides from what @littleblazer mentioned about speakers in the dash, which you said there were not, there is no other way of telling without removing panels.

Reactions: littleblazer

SIEnvoy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
NYC
Thanks for all the information and advice. I don't see any tweeters in the dash so I guess that rules out the premium. I attached a picture.

The strange thing is that the HU isn't the one that the car left the factory with according to the window sticker and RPO code. Did they make a Bose branded head unit that wasn't part of the premium package? I wonder why it was swapped?

I'll remove the door panels and swap speakers/check for power this weekend. From my understanding, I should also be able to tell by the type of speakers that are in the front doors. The Bose speakers supplied mids/bass while the tweeters in the dash supplied the highs - correct?

Attachments

• IMG952529.jpg
    IMG952529.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 11

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I should also be able to tell by the type of speakers that are in the front doors. The Bose speakers supplied mids/bass while the tweeters in the dash supplied the highs - correct?

Correct, I believe the front door speaker with Bose is an 8" midbass driver, and the rear door has a 5.25", and of course the dash has the tweeters.

Non Bose will have 6.5" in each door.

SIEnvoy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
NYC
Thanks again. This has become much simpler.

Since it was an end of year model maybe the swapped the unit to make the car more desirable? Although the salesman didn't promote it from what I recall.

Last edited:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I suppose a bose deck could work in a non bose truck if it had high level outputs. May be a lux/non lux deal since the differences in each are in the outputs (IIRC).

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
For what it's worth, I think his head unit was swapped, too. Or someone goofed at the factory...

The RH side of the Monroney ('Manufacturer Installed Options') lists a 'CD/Cassette' unit.
Where's the cassette slot?

Incidentally, the *left* side (with the 'standard' equipment) lists a CD deck with six (?) speakers - it's hard for me to make out the number with the rip in the Monroney. But I think it has '6' printed on it - ?

ddgm

May 7, 2013
I think CD/Cassette means either/or, not both. I have never seen a vehicle with both from the factory, that doesn't mean that they don't exist, just saying.

SIEnvoy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
NYC

The RH side of the Monroney ('Manufacturer Installed Options') lists a 'CD/Cassette' unit.
Where's the cassette slot?

Incidentally, the *left* side (with the 'standard' equipment) lists a CD deck with six (?) speakers - it's hard for me to make out the number with the rip in the Monroney. But I think it has '6' printed on it - ?

Yes that is a 6. Strange, I am pretty sure I can only find 4. It is as if they gave me the standard head unit with fewer speakers.

Seems like they did make a cd/cassette unit combination. I found a few online.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for all the information and advice.

Did they make a Bose branded head unit that wasn't part of the premium package?

:tiphat: You're welcome.

Yes. Bose was the supplier of the HU's. That's why I said that just because it says Bose doesn't make it a premium. The real difference was amp and speakers. IIRC all the HU's in the GMT360's were Bose.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I know about multi quote, but I'm going off on a tangent...

So, in theory, you could replace the speakers in a "premium" or lux truck with 6.5" 2 ways in the rear, 8" mids in the front and maybe 3.5" 2 ways in the dash.

Or, what I'm contemplating, change the HU (but retain the amp and steering wheel controls) and put 6.5" 2 ways in the front and rear doors and 3.5" 2 ways in the dash.

Correct, I believe the front door speaker with Bose is an 8" midbass driver, and the rear door has a 5.25", and of course the dash has the tweeters.

Non Bose will have 6.5" in each door.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My head unit had no bose label and was cd/cassette... just saying.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It must be trim level then. Mines an 02 LTZ so it has "everything".

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The voy has everything but bose and adjustable pedals. Headlight sprayers, auto tinting mirrors, powered second row hvac and entertainment (radio). But it also has a cassette and cd player. Also an 02.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I found another solution for myself. Keeping the factory amp but changing the HU. 6.5" component for the front, ditching the crossovers. The amp will send tweet signals to the tweeters in the dash and mid signals to the front door. Then 6.5" drivers in the rear doors.

I saw this in a post on TBSS that was done a couple of years ago using Kappa components and Cadence drivers. Apparently it was a big improvement of the factory speakers but obviously not as good as replacing the amp and wiring.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I replaced the Bose in my friends envoy with polks, leaving the dash speakers and a new head unit, but retaining the amp. I must say it sounds decent.

SIEnvoy

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
NYC
Just to update: The system as expected was just the standard Bose head unit with what they call the 6 speaker system - all in the doors. The passenger side speakers were in fact the issue so I installed new speakers all around. Worked great, thanks again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online