I think my starter went out, tips on R&R welcome.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
For the first time in 14 years, my baby didn't start, but didn't leave me stranded....happened at the house.

Battery is good, measures 12.4V.
Small wire at solenoid has 12V with key in START position.
Very faint click when turning to start, sometimes no click.
Relay and fuse is good

I used a remote start button and nothing happens.

I jumped the big terminals at the starter and with all the sparks...lol, the starter turns but slow and I can hear it trying to engage the flywheel and turns the motor over briefly.

I'm safely assuming a starter, how much of a pita is it to replace with 4WD? Easier above or below?...inside bolt looks like a real gem.

I need to dive into this tonight and early tomorrow, looks straight forward so any tips are much appreciated for the veteran starter changers on the 4.2. :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Mine just crapped out a couple weeks ago. I went in through the top and it wasn't too bad. I couldn't see the top bolt at any point until it was out. Also the vac line to the booster has to come off.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Ok, I was able to get it from the side. With LF wheel off, was not that bad to reach through with a ratchet and drop it to the ground. Need to get it back on but removing wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Fio

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, the starter is much easier to change from below. Hopefully it fixes your problem.

There is on Alldata to measure voltage drop and if the PCM commands correctly if your trailvoy doesn't starts.

Let me know if the new starter doesn't fix the problem. I can get some documents together for you.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I appreciate that. yes, the new starter fixed the problem...forgot how quiet a new starter was.... :smile: Props to GM for providing a stud on the blind side of the starter, made it easier than trying to align two bolt holes.

Reactions: mrrsm and Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I thought that was quite nice when I did mine (from the top). So easy to line up everything.

At least they used their brains for that part lol.

Fio

Sep 3, 2020
Chicago
For the first time in 14 years, my baby didn't start, but didn't leave me stranded....happened at the house.

Battery is good, measures 12.4V.
Small wire at solenoid has 12V with key in START position.
Very faint click when turning to start, sometimes no click.
Relay and fuse is good

I used a remote start button and nothing happens.

I jumped the big terminals at the starter and with all the sparks...lol, the starter turns but slow and I can hear it trying to engage the flywheel and turns the motor over briefly.

I'm safely assuming a starter, how much of a pita is it to replace with 4WD? Easier above or below?...inside bolt looks like a real gem.

I need to dive into this tonight and early tomorrow, looks straight forward so any tips are much appreciated for the veteran starter changers on the 4.2. :thumbsup:
If you're tall and can reach down you may be able to get it from the top but if you're a little bit shorter and you think it's going to be a pain in the ass go through the left front wheel. I went through the wheel and if you have the right size extension for the hard to reach stud everything will go smooth, too long and it will hit something, too short and you don't clear the starter. I used a paper towel around the nut stuffed into a deep well socket and extension to reach the stud. I got it in one shot.

Reactions: gmcman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Even though this Thread is "Old" (2016)... Reading and learning "New" ways to do things is ALWAYS...Very Cool. :>)

Reactions: gmcman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I took apart an old starter with similar symptoms and found the brushes completely worn down to the metal holders. Probably if the replacements were available the starter could be fixed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online