I think I dodged a bullet!

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
As most of you all know I've been having intermittent starter motor problems for awhile. I've been limping by with tapping it with a leather mallet. It has been progressively getting more frequent.

So I finally ordered an AC/Delco New starter motor and it arrived today. Started on the nightmare project. After removing the drivers side wheel and moving some wiring harnesses out of the way I could get a better look at the starter and solenoid.

It looked like the solenoid had some road grime and slight oil coating on it from somewhere. I thought maybe I would try loosening and cleaning the connections to the solenoid and re tightening first before trying to remove the starter.

Got it all cleaned up with a little brake cleaner and some shop towels. Snugged up the cables and the key switch wire....Bingo!

It starts up with more power than it's had in years. It was just dirty and the 13mm nuts were not snugged down enough. Fingers crossed it will last awhile. Not sending the new starter back yet.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions on this.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"Az Zoon as you Zend Ze New Schtarter BECK... Ze Zolenoid VILL go T**Z UP!" -- Werner Karl Heisenberg, 1901-1976 "The Uncertainly Principle"

Attachments

• PP-59-04.PDF
    134.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online