I dip, do you?

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
We all use it. But what are your thoughts. A cheap fix, a good product? Post your best plasti dip mods you have, I'm curious to see if anyone uses this stuff as much as
Me. This was off my
07 Impala any my 2010 Equinox that blew the motor at 50000 Just a thread to get appearance categoryA little more hits
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: fletch09

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I used to be a big user of it, at one point I had dipped my pillars and every panel on the inside, but eventually removed all of it. Also had my hood dipped for a long time too and removed that too. I think dip looks great if you choose the right color to match your vehicle and have it professionally done or with the proper equipment. There is a lot of great examples of excellent dips done. And there's and endless amount of possibilites when it comes to colors and pearls to add to the dip itself. A coworker dipped his car and it looks pretty good for a first-timer. He had bought the kit from DYC. And did it at a paint booth. He chose to do pearleacent white.
I myself am getting my rig dipped gloss black sometime between January and March hopefully. Had to put it off. A lot of people here generally aren't fans of dip it seems from my conversations with people here. If you look in rhe beginnings of my build thread you can see what I did with dip.

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
went a little crazy on the firebird but the hatch and rear bumper where from 2 different TA's and neither matched my birds color, have plans for the trailblazer eventually for now just killed the chrome on the grille, might use part of my end of the year bonus on a pro car kit so I can properly do them.

edit: it is interesting to see how far the Trailblazer has come since I got it. the shot with the step boards is when I bought it

Attachments

• 0920141654a.jpg
    0920141654a.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 0920141654b.jpg
    0920141654b.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 0728151723.jpg
    0728151723.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 0126151334b.jpg
    0126151334b.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
I usually do 3 really thick coats quickly and let dry 24 hours. I can take a power washer to it after a couple days. If you apply thick it doesn't scratch easily

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
If you dip a big area or a whole vehicle you need at least 7 layers to have it peel properly and in one piece when you decide to remove it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hate the shit myself. It is a cheap thing to test with, but after doing several cans on my hood and the hell removing it was once it just stayed dirty looking...not again.

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Its a good product for what it is. It has actually come a long way from when it first came out. The professional dippers can do some awesome work. It is hard to clean dip and it seems like everything stuck to it when I had it on my wheels. Not sure if you guys have seen it, but Plasti Dip has come out with a Glossifier. Its basically like a productive clear coat for the dip. It also adds somewhat of a shine to the dip as well to get away from the matte finish.

I used dip on my wiper cowl, wiper arms, and on the tube that I used to delete my intake resonator. All the items I listed are holding up well. I think I sprayed about 6 coats on each with a 30 min dry time in between coats.

I also dipped my rear bumper step pad with about 6 coats and same process. It came out well, but after a year and a half later the dip is showing some "wear" as I used my cargo area quite often. Overall it is holding up better than I expected, especially through the winter.

For those of you that mention using more coats to make it easier to remove, have you ever removed dip specifically from wheels? My wheels had 6 coats on them and it was a huge PITA to remove the dip. Took a tooth brush, can of WD-40, my 2700psi pressure washer, and a few hours to clean up all 4 wheels.

The dip improved the look of my faded plastic, but if I did it over again, I would use some black paint and clear coat.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
Hate the shit myself. It is a cheap thing to test with, but after doing several cans on my hood and the hell removing it was once it just stayed dirty looking...not again.

cans really shouldn't be used on large body panels, it's extremely hard to get proper coverage on large areas, also there are tricks to spraying for better results, tip one is to NEVER spray in direct sunlight

Its a good product for what it is. It has actually come a long way from when it first came out. The professional dippers can do some awesome work. It is hard to clean dip and it seems like everything stuck to it when I had it on my wheels. Not sure if you guys have seen it, but Plasti Dip has come out with a Glossifier. Its basically like a productive clear coat for the dip. It also adds somewhat of a shine to the dip as well to get away from the matte finish.

I used dip on my wiper cowl, wiper arms, and on the tube that I used to delete my intake resonator. All the items I listed are holding up well. I think I sprayed about 6 coats on each with a 30 min dry time in between coats.

I also dipped my rear bumper step pad with about 6 coats and same process. It came out well, but after a year and a half later the dip is showing some "wear" as I used my cargo area quite often. Overall it is holding up better than I expected, especially through the winter.

For those of you that mention using more coats to make it easier to remove, have you ever removed dip specifically from wheels? My wheels had 6 coats on them and it was a huge PITA to remove the dip. Took a tooth brush, can of WD-40, my 2700psi pressure washer, and a few hours to clean up all 4 wheels.

The dip improved the look of my faded plastic, but if I did it over again, I would use some black paint and clear coat.

not just glossifier, they have a Top Coat that is even higher gloss then the glossifier by quite a bit. they also have a Dip Dissolver spray bottle that makes it easier to remove the dip.

Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bug and Tar Remover helps take it off

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online