Huge increase in MPG??

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
No idea how, I haven't cleaned the air intake/throttle body, anything since last year around this time, only thing different about the truck is I put on 265/65/17 Michelin LTX MS2 tires. These are larger than the previous 255/65/17 Duelers I had on there, which were run while bald.

Anyway, recently, my MPG has gone from about 13.1 about 5 weeks ago, and today I filled up and recorded the highest ever MPG at 17.1. Nothing has changed about my driving style or my routes. I drive the same places week in and week out. My O2 sensor is the original with original exhaust manifold, 110k miles, is a lazy O2 sensor that has been bathed in seafoam and cleaners all these years to credit for ever increasing MPG?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
No idea how, I haven't cleaned the air intake/throttle body, anything since last year around this time, only thing different about the truck is I put on 265/65/17 Michelin LTX MS2 tires. These are larger than the previous 255/65/17 Duelers I had on there, which were run while bald.

Anyway, recently, my MPG has gone from about 13.1 about 5 weeks ago, and today I filled up and recorded the highest ever MPG at 17.1. Nothing has changed about my driving style or my routes. I drive the same places week in and week out. My O2 sensor is the original with original exhaust manifold, 110k miles, is a lazy O2 sensor that has been bathed in seafoam and cleaners all these years to credit for ever increasing MPG?

Could be the gas. Stations switching to the summer formula.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That doesn't happen around here until mid June. As far as I know, 10% ethanol remains all year round. What's the difference between winter and summer gas anyway? It used to be that ethanol was only added in winter (which is stupid given its tendency to accumulate moisture).

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have also noticed an increase in my highway gas mileage here in the last 2 weeks. I was averaging 15.5 to 16, now I am around 17.8 to 18.5. I just assumed it was the gas.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The weather is warmer and the gas is changing. I noticed going from 11/12 to 16+ in the last couple of weeks.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
My O2 sensor is the original with original exhaust manifold, 110k miles, is a lazy O2 sensor that has been bathed in seafoam and cleaners all these years to credit for ever increasing MPG?

O2 sensors become lazy generally around the 80K mark, not set in stone though. When I replaced mine very late in the game (around 180K) :redface: my combined MPG after 1 week went from 15-16 to around 17.5-18.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
gmcman said:
O2 sensors become lazy generally around the 80K mark, not set in stone though. When I replaced mine very late in the game (around 180K) :redface: my combined MPG after 1 week went from 15-16 to around 17.5-18.

did you have any trouble getting the O2 sensor out?

I have just shy of 150k, and the mpg has been a little off.

guess I can look into how it is working

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
meerschm said:
did you have any trouble getting the O2 sensor out?

I have just shy of 150k, and the mpg has been a little off.

guess I can look into how it is working

Not at all, with the O2 socket (7/8) it came right out. With a cold engine, I would let it run for about a minute or 2 then let it sit for a couple min. With the heat shield in place you need an O2 socket, the offset socket worked fine.

To check it's operation with a scan tool you want at least a 1Hz refresh at the slowest, mine was averaging about 1.5 sec.

With 150K, I would replace it if original.

Attachments

• HF O2 socket1.jpg
    HF O2 socket1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 12

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
View attachment 28096

took a drive, around the neighborhood to get things up to normal operating temp

looks like 5 peaks in 15 seconds.

funny thing is, there are a couple oxygen sensor diagnostics in the emissions tests which read fine.

Guess I will order the sensor and a socket. Rock auto posted a discount someplace if I recall.

is the GM sensor recommended?

Attachments

• oxygen sensor 1 warm idle.jpg
    oxygen sensor 1 warm idle.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 11

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
GM is recommended. The peaks @ 5 second intervals don't tell the story though. The sensor changes voltages in steps like..... .350, .570. ,980, .245, .430, .890, etc. The changes are what you are looking at, not the peaks or valleys. Still, with that mileage I would surely change it but if it's popping out values @ 2 per second then it could be good, just catch-22 at that mileage.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
so five cycles in 15 seconds is 3 seconds per cycle or 1.3 Hz.

thought the sign of lazy sensor is slow cycles, over 1 Hz.

I found some posts by Roadie and discussion of some scope traces, but my google foo is getting weak. (need breakfast and a walk)

http://gmtnation.com/f25/p1133-upstream-o2-sensor-diagnostics-4723/ (google worked better than the site search function)

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Good stuff. My o2 is rusted in there, and I may have a crack in my manifold so just going to replace them together (soon.......) :tongue:

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
my gas mileage dropped the past 2 weeks. It went from 13.8 avg to 12.4 avg. I replaced the 2 month old bosch o2 sensor with a delco a few weeks ago. Not sure if if that's the culprit or not. I might stick the bosch back on and see. The weather warmed up too, so maybe running the a/c hasn't helped either.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
View attachment 28098

The test here looks like the critical measures are rise time and fall time.

(as well as the fact that the sensor transitions from indicating too rich to too lean)

:undecided:

Service manual does a nice job explaining the codes related to the Heated O2 Sensor (HO2S)
codes are listed for no toggle, too slow rise time, too slow fall time, stays in the middle, or if sensor heater current is out of range.

looks like the reading above is from a stored diagnostic run once per ignition cycle, after the temps come up to speed.

Attachments

• o2 sensor screen.jpg
    o2 sensor screen.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 10

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
signalnc said:
my gas mileage dropped the past 2 weeks. It went from 13.8 avg to 12.4 avg. I replaced the 2 month old bosch o2 sensor with a delco a few weeks ago. Not sure if if that's the culprit or not. I might stick the bosch back on and see. The weather warmed up too, so maybe running the a/c hasn't helped either.

I wouldn't use anything Bosch on our trucks... they are junk in my opinion and I've heard nothing but horrible compatibility issues. I'd clean everything up, run some cleaner through the gas tank, and give it a few more fillups for the ECU to adjust to the changes. I ran a bunch of cleaners through about 5-6 weeks ago, and ever since then, each time I fill up it was getting better and better mileage.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I've heard nothing but bad things about them, including not being very compatible with our trucks. Spark plugs in particular.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.