How to recover R134a

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just thought I'd post this because it is pure genius in its simplicity.

I was looking at a way to recover the R134a out of my dead 02 EXT because I will need to refill the Saab after I replace the receiver/dryer. Some used old refrigerator compressors and propane tanks (!) but this method just cuts out the middle man.

This method will not recover all of it but damn near close to it. Disadvantage is that you don't know how much you've transferred so you may need to top off the running receiving vehicle after checking pressures.

Won't be till next week where I can try this out.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
If you try it out, you should record it as well. That was a pretty neat video.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did it today and it worked for the most part. Some notes:

- I shorted the low pressure switch and forced the compressor to run. The pressure dropped to about 25psi. But I wanted more so I revved the engine and it dropped to about 10psi, which means that's all that was left in the old vehicle. That was as good as it was gonna get.

- After turning off the engine and letting pressures normalize, I hooked up the high side hose on the receiving system and started the engine after reconnecting the low pressure switch. Pressures were a bit low for the ambient temps. Added about a 1/4 can and pressures were good.

So I'd call this a success. Instead of using 2+ cans to refill my system, I only needed 1/4 can, which I already had a partial can to use.

BTW, I did do a video but my phone sucks and pretty much all the shots were washed out in the bright sunshine and out of focus. And I just suck at making videos. Did get a some pics.

Here are both vehicles hooked up.
DSC_0528.JPG

The initial pressures/vacuum:
DSC_0531.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online