How to install a remote start.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
This weekend I installed a Bulldog remote start on my 2004 Trailblazer and I want to share how I did it. There are 3 reasons I chose the bulldog unit. It has the security bypass built in, Bulldog offers a lot of support and instruction on how to install for DIYers, and it was cheap.

Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Estimated time: 2 hours
Part number: Bulldog RS83B
Cost: $50 (Amazon)
Tools needed: standard hand tools, pen torch, solder, electrical tape, multimeter, utility knife, zip ties, and a wire stripper.

First, drop the lower dash covers.

Remove the metal steering column cover to reveal the wires that are going to be tapped into.

The way I tapped the wires was to strip back a 2 inch section of the car wires. Separate the strands into 2 sections. Insert the tap wire in between the 2 strands of wire, twist the wires together, solder, and wrap with electrical tape.

The first wires to attach are the larger wires coming from the ignition switch.
-Attach the 2 red constant power wires from to Bulldog to the the vehicle's red wire.
-Attach the white igntion wire from the Bulldog to the pink wire from the vehicle.
-Attach the other igntion wire (white with a red stripe) from the unit to the white wire on the vehicle.
-Attach the white with black stripe accessory wire from the Bulldog to the Orange and Brown wires from the vehicle.
-Attach the yellow with black stripe wire from the unit to the yellow wire from the vehicle.

The next wires are attached using crimp on wire taps that came with the Bulldog remote start.
-Attach the brown parking light wire from the 9 pin harness to the gray with black wire coming off of the headlight switch. My Trailblazer had 2 wires of the same color. I had to use the test light that came with the unit to figure out which one to use, the correct wire will show a negative when the parking lights turn on. You also need to make sure the switch on the back of the remote start unit is switched to the negative (-) position.
-Attach the blue with black stripe brake wire from the Bulldog to the either one of the white wires coming from the brake light switch above the brake pedal.
-Attach the black wire to a good ground, I used one of the bolts from the metal steering column cover.
-Run the yellow antenna as straight as possible anywhere you want and zip tie it in place.
-The rest of the wires I did not use. In the future I plan on hooking up the hood pin for safety, and the blue auxiliary wire so I can use my factory key fob for remote starting. It was 10 degrees below zero and i decided to save those wires for later.

Now attach the wires from the 4 pin Passlock harness.
-Attach to yellow wire from the Bulldog to the small gauge yellow from the ignition switch under the column. Mine had 2 yellow wires, I had to use a multimeter and find the wire that put out about 5 volts while the engine was running. If you look at the harness plug, it was the yellow wire that was farther to the left I believe.
-Attach the orange wire from the unit to the orange with black stripe wire from the ignition switch.
-The other 2 wires are not used.

Now plug everything into the Bulldog remote start unit. Test the unit and make sure everything works correctly. Take your time and run your wires in nice bundles and in a way that they wont be damaged. I used split wrap around my wires to make sure that no moving parts or sharp edges could damage my wires over time.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
This is great! I never considered a remote starter since I assumed they were too expensive.
A few questions:

Having had it for a few months now is it living up to expectations?
Have you set up the factory key fob yet?
If you get in while it's still running do you have to shut it off (brake pedal) before restarting it with the key or can you just put the key in "Run" and continue on?

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
AtlWrk said:
This is great! I never considered a remote starter since I assumed they were too expensive.
A few questions:

If you get in while it's still running do you have to shut it off (brake pedal) before restarting it with the key or can you just put the key in "Run" and continue on?

i love mine, to answer at least the last question you have i dont have to tap the brake pedal i just stick key in and turn to start

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
AtlWrk said:
A few questions:

My advice would be don't get the same Bulldog remote start I have. It has an actual range of about 40 feet. It's advertised at 400', that's a bunch of BS. I'd get something with better range.

I never did set it up to work with my factory key fob, I don't plan on it either. My factory key fob has an even shorter range.

When you start the car with the remote, you just get in and put the key to the run position. Once you do that, it's just like you started it with the key.

Other than the short range, it works great. Most of the remote starting we do is while it's parked at home anyways. I'll probably replace it someday with something better.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
AtlWrk said:
A few questions:

Just put the key in and turn as if you where putting it in the run position. Our trucks have a starter lockout from the factory, I also installed an antigrind/interrupt circuit.

As for the OEM keyfob, like Hypnotoad said the aftermarket one has better range. Although 40' sounds ridiculously short. I use mine more than I thought I would, I also like the pitstop feature.

Hypnotoad said:
My advice would be don't get the same Bulldog remote start I have. It has an actual range of about 40 feet. It's advertised at 400', that's a bunch of BS. I'd get something with better range.

I never did set it up to work with my factory key fob, I don't plan on it either. My factory key fob has an even shorter range.

When you start the car with the remote, you just get in and put the key to the run position. Once you do that, it's just like you started it with the key.

Other than the short range, it works great. Most of the remote starting we do is while it's parked at home anyways. I'll probably replace it someday with something better.

I looked at the Bulldog units, but opted for the Omega. 2000' range, which I say is probably pretty accurate. Two way remote was another thing I wanted, as well as the other control units I bought, automatic window controls, and the add on cell option also intrigued me.

MAY03LT was a tremendous help when I did mine. He sent me lists of corresponding wires and such, which is posted on the forums. The Bulldog looked easy, but lacked some of the stuff I wanted.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online