hid headlight kit

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone using the hid headlights. I been looking around for some. Whats a good name? What watts should I get? :undecided:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
There are already many threads on this. Literally all over with pictures and diagrams.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jkust said:
There are already many threads on this. Literally all over with pictures and diagrams.

:iagree:.. search is your best friend... just type in HID and you'll have info galore...

GregT said:
Anyone using the hid headlights. I been looking around for some. Whats a good name? What watts should I get? :undecided:

But to answer you, I have VVME's 35W 8000k lows and fogs...

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Jkust said:

:squint: Hmmm guess I will look around then.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have kensun (Amazon.com) 6000k for both highs and lows. Nice and bright and works pretty good.

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I have kensun (Amazon.com) 6000k for both highs and lows. Nice and bright and works pretty good.

Sweet how long have you had them installed now. Did you put them in your self. If so How easy of an install was that. Do you need to kill the day time running lights feature.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GregT said:
Sweet how long have you had them installed now. Did you put them in your self. If so How easy of an install was that. Do you need to kill the day time running lights feature.

I highly recommend DDM tuning or VVME for HID kits! They seem to work the best and many of us on here use them with no problems! DDM is a lifetime warranty and VVME is a year. I have DDM and they have been great! Get a Relay harness!! That will save a lot of money in the future and headaches :thumbsup:

Yes you do need to kill the DRL's! Those are HID's killers lol many ways to kill the DRL! You can do a DRL killer, a cap mod to make the DRLs 100% power or you can manually turn them off everytime you get into the truck to drive like I do, hit the dome light button 3-4 times before driving and the DRL's are gone for that drive. Once truck is turned off and back on got to do that again.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
GregT said:

3 weeks now seem to work pretty good. All ofn the reviews point to the seller having amazing customer service. I used the plug and play method, I want to go back at some point and use relays. Yes I did use the drl killer, did not try it without that done though.

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
I think I'm just going to stay stock headlights. I see too many bad things about them. Bulbs going out or ballasts. I like my day time running lights (safer) I also think it would look silly with brights on. Yes I know I may not even need them since there brighter. I think I might just put in Philips clear vision in Maybe. Right now I have other things I need to buy for my RV.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GregT said:
I think I'm just going to stay stock headlights. I see too many bad things about them. Bulbs going out or ballasts. I like my day time running lights (safer) I also think it would look silly with brights on. Yes I know I may not even need them since there brighter. I think I might just put in Philips clear vision in Maybe. Right now I have other things I need to buy for my RV.

Trust me and get the HID's! I at first was not sure and go silver stars and this whole mess...if you want your DRL's and like them do not kill them. Do a simple cap mod and have them run at 100% power so that way it wont kill the HID's fast is all. Once you go HID's you wont go back :yes: and bulbs going out is normal? and if a ballast is bad you just tell the company and they send you a new one and you send back the bad one! Really not that bad, you install them right then no problems :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
^:thumbsup: what he said.

Just reading Kensun offers a 2 year warranty on all products. I have a spare set of OEM bulbs in the storage compartment in the back, so if something does happen Im not SOL. Also usually the equipment does not just stop working, there is usually a warning sign. flickering, extreme dimming, extreme color change, loud buzzing sound (than normal), etc.

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
^:thumbsup: what he said.

Just reading Kensun offers a 2 year warranty on all products. I have a spare set of OEM bulbs in the storage compartment in the back, so if something does happen Im not SOL. Also usually the equipment does not just stop working, there is usually a warning sign. flickering, extreme dimming, extreme color change, loud buzzing sound (than normal), etc.

just not convinced I still have my original halogen bulbs in my 05 never replaced. Seams like hid bulbs just don't last as long. I saw a post or two of people switching back to halogen after hid install what's the point.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
GregT said:
just not convinced I still have my original halogen bulbs in my 05 never replaced. Seams like hid bulbs just don't last as long. I saw a post or two of people switching back to halogen after hid install what's the point.

There are alot of variables, as with most aftermarket equipment. I mean thinking of all of the things that can effect bulb/ballast life span. Quality, Installation method, components used, even questionable relabeling of other companies components come into play. You get what you pay for, I have seen kits as cheap as $30, which I would stay away from. Word of mouth and customer reviews are your best source for deciding.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GregT said:

:dielaugh: Where did you see post about things like that? The prius forums? haha HID's outlast a halogen no matter what!!! Like I said if your ballast are good and you do not touch the bulb and get a good brand they will last you! DDMtunning or VVME, those post you read where prob people that go get some cheap brands or brands that are not well known so yeah there risky and that will happen with them. Do some research on google on the HID's because HID's first off are 35W which is less then a halogen so that already says more life, HID headlights are also less of a strain on your vehicle’s battery power, as they consume over 30% less energy than halogens and are over 30% brighter then a halogen. Furthermore, HID bulbs produce less heat during their operation so I do not see how all that makes them not last as long. Just do not touch the bulb and if you install them right your fine man! It is up to from here if you want them, I recommend them because I was in your shoes before I got mine and i bite the bullet and glad I did so up to you now :thumbsup:

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
every vehicle i have had in the last few years have been coverted to hids. even on my motorcycle with a set up suspension (rough ride) and having the front wheel off the ground a few times (jarring of the bulb that is not normal with the wheel hitting the ground), having left them on until the battery died idk how many times and they still work like a champ. like mentioned above do your research and advise from these guys and you shouldn't have an issue. I have never had to swap out bulbs or ever had a ballast go out on me. It is ultimately your decision and I wont bash you for not doing the swap, might blind you with my lights instead :tongue:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I forgot to mention that if you do get some then look for slim digital, those last longer :yes: here are my lights if you this helps or not

photo121.jpg

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
:dielaugh: Where did you see post about things like that? The prius forums? haha HID's outlast a halogen no matter what!!! Like I said if your ballast are good and you do not touch the bulb and get a good brand they will last you! DDMtunning or VVME, those post you read where prob people that go get some cheap brands or brands that are not well known so yeah there risky and that will happen with them. Do some research on google on the HID's because HID's first off are 35W which is less then a halogen so that already says more life, HID headlights are also less of a strain on your vehicle’s battery power, as they consume over 30% less energy than halogens and are over 30% brighter then a halogen. Furthermore, HID bulbs produce less heat during their operation so I do not see how all that makes them not last as long. Just do not touch the bulb and if you install them right your fine man! It is up to from here if you want them, I recommend them because I was in your shoes before I got mine and i bite the bullet and glad I did so up to you now :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies but a lot of negatives I find. Here one I found right here on this site. I do like them just don't want the headaches that may come with them. Right now I don't have the money for them anyways.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/returning-stock-sorta-1573/

ItsOnVoy said:
I forgot to mention that if you do get some then look for slim digital, those last longer :yes: here are my lights if you this helps or not

photo121.jpg

Could you tell me what kit would be good for DDM Tuning or vvme for an 05 trailblazer ls
and what and where will I find a DRL killer.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
GregT said:
Could you tell me what kit would be good for DDM Tuning or vvme for an 05 trailblazer ls
and what and where will I find a DRL killer.

This is the kit I have now. Actually, I have one of their kits for the lows and one for the fogs. Like I said in the thread that you linked, I have a problem with the relay harness that I've had since '07, not with their kit. The kit is on it's third year, I got two years out of the first low beam kit it I got from 3bspec.

Disabling the DRLs is something that I feel is DIY. There are two ways that I have done it in mine, both cost under $10.00. First was making it so the lows only turned on with the headlight switch - no drl, no low beams during perimeter lighting, and no low beams when the auto lights came on. Second was no drl, no perimeter lighting, with low beams when the auto lights come on. Both worked great. The only problem with the autolights is that if it's dark out, the lows will come on when the key goes to "run" and will stay on when the engine is cranking. To get around this, I did the BO TIE SS switchable auto light deleter, which included wiring a toggle switch and resistor to the sun sensor in the dash.

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
MAY03LT said:
This is the kit I have now. Actually, I have one of their kits for the lows and one for the fogs. Like I said in the thread that you linked, I have a problem with the relay harness that I've had since '07, not with their kit. The kit is on it's third year, I got two years out of the first low beam kit it I got from 3bspec.

Disabling the DRLs is something that I feel is DIY. There are two ways that I have done it in mine, both cost under $10.00. First was making it so the lows only turned on with the headlight switch - no drl, no low beams during perimeter lighting, and no low beams when the auto lights came on. Second was no drl, no perimeter lighting, with low beams when the auto lights come on. Both worked great. The only problem with the autolights is that if it's dark out, the lows will come on when the key goes to "run" and will stay on when the engine is cranking. To get around this, I did the BO TIE SS switchable auto light deleter, which included wiring a toggle switch and resistor to the sun sensor in the dash.

I thought there was a simple drl killer kit

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
GregT said:
I thought there was a simple drl killer kit

There is, its a relay that taps into certain wires at the BCM. 5 minute job. 10 if you want to make it look clean.

The laptop I have the instructions on had the screen burn out recently... Checking to see if I stashed them elsewhere.

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
kardain said:
There is, its a relay that taps into certain wires at the BCM. 5 minute job. 10 if you want to make it look clean.

The laptop I have the instructions on had the screen burn out recently... Checking to see if I stashed them elsewhere.

Yes that what I was thinking of would be great to get. Thought there was a member on here that sold them I reed it some where in here.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Another option, would be to buy an HID kit from TheRetrofitSource. Most people primarily buy their projector goodies from there, and their HID kit is a bit pricey, but I've heard their customer service is top notch, and it's hard to beat a 5 year warranty.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Blckshdw said:
Another option, would be to buy an HID kit from TheRetrofitSource. Most people primarily buy their projector goodies from there, and their HID kit is a bit pricey, but I've heard their customer service is top notch, and it's hard to beat a 5 year warranty.

That gets my vote. :lipsrsealed:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:

DDM has a life-time warranty lol Those kits are really pricey, might as well go to a stealership or something

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
GregT said:
Wow ddm rocks awesome prices and lifetime warranty. I been looking at these http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
My question what bulb type do I need.

You mean like the 9006 low beam bulb? Or are you talking about color temp of the HID's?... if you mean bulb, then 9006.. if you mean temp.. the choice I yours.. 4300k-6000k and you'll be safe.. anything over 6000k, the light is blue, and less light output... I have 8000k in my SS and regular lights on my Grand Prix.. here's a side by side comparioson for you... and you can see the amount of light HID's put out over factory bulbs...

2011-11-11183042.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Yupp 9006 is the bulb you will need for the low beams! The picture above I gave you is 6000K :thumbsup:

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
All you guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all your help. :wootwoot:

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
If you need DRL, go with V-LEDS 9006 Module for $10. You will be able to use DRLs with the HIDS. I have both the cap.mod and the module. And both work great.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
kjkim93 said:
If you need DRL, go with V-LEDS 9006 Module for $10. You will be able to use DRLs with the HIDS. I have both the cap.mod and the module. And both work great.

:confused: In different vehicles, or both in your TB?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
:confused: In different vehicles, or both in your TB?

:iagree:

what Carlton said... why both?

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
I tried the cap mod first. it worked for awhile. Then i got the vled. I havent removed the cap due to the fact i have an EXT and would require me to remove the chair

GregT

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
kjkim93 said:

When using the V-led's does that convert it too 100% power all the time then too be honest running 100% daylight headlights is just plain silly. That's why there reduced power. I have remote start on my TB lights turn on briefly then turn off too parking lights only. Will the auto light sensor still work?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
GregT said:
When using the V-led's does that convert it too 100% power all the time then too be honest running 100% daylight headlights is just plain silly. That's why there reduced power. I have remote start on my TB lights turn on briefly then turn off too parking lights only. Will the auto light sensor still work?

With HIDs, you can't run them at the 70% pulsed cycle that our vehicles output. You either have to run them at 100% or 0%, otherwise you'll burn out your ballasts or relay harness from the repeated on/off/on/off signal from the DRLs.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
With HIDs, you can't run them at the 70% pulsed cycle that our vehicles output. You either have to run them at 100% or 0%, otherwise you'll burn out your ballasts or relay harness from the repeated on/off/on/off signal from the DRLs.

:iagree:

if its not 100 % you will damage your bulbs and ballast. Sure it seems stupid to have it on in the morning but, its better then nothing. Then your choices are DRL killer, no DRL at all, Cap mop which is 100 % to drl, or DRL Module which your Hids will work perfectly

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GregT said:

When I remote start my car, The lights are either on due to auto lights or just side lights because its not dark enough. What brand starter do you have to starts your lights for a sec like that?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpepmeie

Members Online