Height of towing connector ?

truck2trail

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
How high is the approximate centre point (i.e. centre of the square) of the 2 X 2 towing connector (where you slide in the tow hitch) off the ground ? I've upgraded to a Yukon, which I'm sure is higher ! Thus I'm going to need a new shank. Thanks very much.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Maybe around 18" but that is a rough guess. I am lifted and know I had to increase my drop.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Mine is 19.5" to the center. I'm on stock suspension and stock 17" wheels/tires.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ours are actually higher than most stock, so you may not need anything. I have a 10 inch drop and its not really enough for some trailers I pull, but I am not exactly stock either.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
This solves a lot of problems.

21141.gif

but, if you are only towing one trailer with one truck, a standard drop, of the correct amount, will work.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
18 3/4 inches to center of receiver empty, full gas tank, 32 psi stock tires.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have one of these since we have 6 trailers
I have the Reese one (that I used in my earlier post) and I built an upright to use it as a ladder carrier.
My Avalanche has roof racks, but they are too close together to carry anything that is long. I picked up a piece of 2x2 square tubing, cut it to the correct length (for my truck, it was around 5' 3"), bolted an 1.5" angle across the top (used a bolt, so I could take it apart for storage) to form a tee, drilled a hole at the bottom end of the tube. It slides into the top of the adjustable mount and gives me an upright at the rear of the truck that is level with the roof cross bars. Great for ladders, or boats.

You can see, if you pull the pin, the adjustable ball mount drops out and the 2x2 tubing drops in. The pin is re-used to hold it in place.

21141.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is a good idea!

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
truck2trail said:
How high is the approximate centre point (i.e. centre of the square) of the 2 X 2 towing connector (where you slide in the tow hitch) off the ground ?

Too high :raspberry:

GM loves the receiver high for some reason...I guess ground clearance? If it were lower, your hitch would affect the entry/departure angle of the vehicle, and the GMT360 has suprisingly good entry and departure angles for a dead stock vehicle :thumbsup:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
At stock ride height, a 4" drop lets you tow a U-Haul trailer level.

Do different size uhauls have different heights? I have no drop on my receiver/ball and pulled a uhaul level (4x6?). Can post a pic of it tomorrow.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Do different size uhauls have different heights? I have no drop on my receiver/ball and pulled a uhaul level (4x6?). Can post a pic of it tomorrow.

As far as I know, all U-Haul trailers have the same ride height...

With no drop, I can almost guarantee you were pulling the trailer too high unless you have low rider wheels on your truck :wink:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Uhaul trailers vary, or at least they did when I used to rent them out to people.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online