harmonic balancer when should it be replaced?

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
While under the voy yesterday changing the oil I figured I'd check around and make sure all my hoses and other stuff are in good shape. Seemed all good until I took a look at the harmonic balancer.It looks like someone took a flat screw driver to the hard rubber center. So my question should I replace it sooner then later and how difficult is there replacement. It's tuff to take a picture of but here is one.

Attachments

• 20150902_192515.jpg
    20150902_192515.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 40

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Didn't know they had rubber on them.. But they're one of the items that I've never seen anyone change around here, one guy replaced the bolt because it was bent but that's all I've seen. Mooseman transferred or replaced his (not sure which) when he swapped his motor though iirc.

And from my understanding, it's not a fun job.

Reactions: xavierny25

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Try to get a picture or two from underneath looking back at it. Or stick the camaera down form the top and snap a couple. But just looking at that, I would get it replaced ASAP. Sounds like a good weekend project, no? :crazy:

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
Ohh... Ohhh something I know about. The motor, as it runs, creates a natural frequency otherwise known as a vibration. The harmonic balancer is something used to counteract or add to the natural frequency to decrease the likelihood of wave propagation (think Tacoma narrows bridge).

If the rubber has changed it is effecting the frequency of the motor and its not doing its job correctly. Adding/subtracting or relocating mass will change the frequency that the balancer creates.

Vibrations are bad for machinery and decrease life in parts.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
C-ya said:
Try to get a picture or two from underneath looking back at it. Or stick the camaera down form the top and snap a couple. But just looking at that, I would get it replaced ASAP. Sounds like a good weekend project, no? :crazy:
I tried from the top but couldn't get my big ass samsaung galaxy note close enough to take a half decent picture.

That ain't happening this weekend it's my birthday tomorrow so it's a definite no go. But I am going to keep an eye on it.

I wish somebody that has changed it out chimes in. This way I got a better idea of what's gotta come out to replace it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only reason I replaced mine was because when I replaced my timing chain, I had to heat it with the acetylene torch because it would not come off. Broke a couple pullers on it it was that stuck. Anyway, I replaced it with a used one from a junker, which came off easy.

I have yet to hear of an actual failure of a balancer. It could happen and it also drives the belt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m3talc0re

Members Online