Hairline crack in radiator

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
My water pump failed on me this weekend and while replacing it I found a hairline crack in the top(plastic) portion of the radiator, just under the upper hose. I may have damaged the radiator while removing the fan but I'm not sure. The crack is very small, about a half inch long, but I can see just the finest bit of coolant coming out of it (maybe an ounce a day). I was wondering if any of you guys had luck with radiator patch kits? I see a kit on Amazon that I'm thinking about picking up.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MZI4M/?tag=gmtnation-20

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have had success with those kits but you need to make sure the area is clean and dry.

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Thanks for the response. I figured for 9 bucks I might as well give it a shot and maybe it would give me a little more time. If it does not work, I'll just replace the radiator but hoping that with such a small crack it will work good enough.

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
I looked at getting the pressure testing kit, but at 90 bucks I figured I would just replace the radiator if the patch fails.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
JB Waterweld works wonders for this type of repair.

Reactions: Robbabob

kkeo211

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Well I tried the radiator repair kit and JB water weld and it is still leaking a little bit at the neck. I didn't feel like fussing with it to much so a friend that works at a shop ordered me a used radiator for 50 bucks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli