SOLVED! H2 New tow vehicle throttle not working

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
H2 New tow vehicle throttle not working.

My new TV 07 Hummer H2 was advertised as run an drive it starts w/ jump box (so battery is weak and probably has an effect on the electronics receiving correct readings) & runs

However won’t drive.maybe if she was on a smooth drive she would forward but shes on crused rocks, she did move backward.

After ignition all she doe’s is idle when I give it throttle she stays at idle.

I looked closely an observed someone attempted to splice 4 wires at the fly by wire throttle body.also # 2 cylinders fuel injector plug was disconnected.

When she was ideling I pressed a few of these twisted together wire an she surged a tad.

I’m sure it is throttle related bc she only idels, does not respond to the pedals input, dam what happened to just cables dam.

Anyway was unable to drive H2 home so I’m forced to hire a transporter.

I’d like to know if I should buy a small OBD2 scanner to diagnose w/ codes the throttles pedal & throttle bodys sensors,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I/?tag=gmtnation-20

or can I get by w/ a decent multimeter which I already have?(just need some decent test leads this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYNF47M/?tag=gmtnation-20

If the TBs electric engine is rotton can it be replaced or must the whole throttle body be replaced?

Thanks Guys for advice.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
I’d like to know if I should buy a small OBD2 scanner to diagnose w/ codes the throttles pedal & throttle bodys sensors,
If you have access to an Android device I would recommend downloading Torque Pro rather than go with a cheap OBD scanner. In addition to being able to read OBD codes it also gives you access to a broad range of vehicle parameters (note: tons of expertise here as well).

If the TBs electric engine is rotton can it be replaced or must the whole throttle body be replaced?
I do not believe the TB actuators are repairable.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
If you have access to an Android device I would recommend downloading Torque Pro rather than go with a cheap OBD scanner. In addition to being able to read OBD codes it also gives you access to a broad range of vehicle parameters (note: tons of expertise here as well).

I do not believe the TB actuators are repairable.
I do have a andriod tablet but then I have to pay for software then how I'm gonna interface to obd2 port?thanks

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
I do have a andriod tablet but then I have to pay for software then how I'm gonna interface to obd2 port?thanks
You will need to buy an ELM327 adapter. They come in BlueTooth or WiFi flavors. @TJBaker57 is the best source for recommendations on which brand/version to purchase. Price should be in the $20 - $40 range.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
you know I really don't like my tablet I don't like andriod OS much also.
I actuely only use it to enlargen my 5" depth/fish finder to 10" it's tempuarly attached to helm station an can be used anywhere on the vessel.I also use it to play tunes.

anyway thanks for the suggestion but I think my first scanner should be easy an come w/ attachments w/ all the software included.

so do I even need a handheld scanner? or can I get by w/ just a multimeter and decent test leads? like both pedal an TB are switchs right. a testing procedure w/ multimeter would be a big help.

most of ytube excludes GM.
thanks

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
o do I even need a handheld scanner? or can I get by w/ just a multimeter and decent test leads? like both pedal an TB are switchs right. a testing procedure w/ multimeter would be a big help.
The TB and accelerator pedal are more than just switches; they send analog signals to the PCM which interprets them and then communicates across a digital network bus.

Relying on just the multimeter is likely not sufficient. You will be able to see some problems like no voltage or a dead short but in order to fully assess functionality of the TB & the accelerator pedal you will want to be able to access parameters like desired throttle position, indicated throttle position, accelerator pedal position. These parameters (aka PID's) are communicated thru the PCM in digital format, not analog (therefore not measurable via multimeter or a basic code scanner).

Before shelling out any additional money, I would recommend some additional research on debugging & how to analyze your vehicle's digital datastream (I believe it is going to be CANBus) and what PID's are available.

Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
thank you so much for explaining diagnosing the no throttle situation.
attached image of torque lite in the throttle section.
so you basicelly said I'll need more than a regular el cheapo scanner & multimeter.

I’m not really into apps and 3rd party software, I’ve only DL the one free app from google play store to blue tooth couple w/ fish finder.

1.The tablet I have is marshmello 6 so I’ve had it a while.tablet doesn’t have a USB port doe’s have a mini USB but is blue tooth capable.
one of the ELM327 came w/ a DVD my tablet doesn't have a DVD drive.
will my tablet be good enough?

2.After DL say for example torque lite as a app.an coupled w/ tablet,I assume I’ll have to be connected to the net? Wifi is very weak on that side of house.if I can’t get by w/ TL app please recommend app.

I’m completely clueless about what to look for w/ ELM327 adapter please recommend

ELM327 for the GM vehicles.

Example:

So it’s the reading ecm live that makes the ELM327 adapter

far superior? Than the handheld old fashioned type code readers.

3.Torque lite app free version is that good enough to diagnose the throttle pedal an throttle body?attached image I see a bunch of parameters like what you mentioned.

I don’t want to spend a lot on a scanner, don’t know much about them. What I do to evaluate is read the reviews when I see when I see 38K it must be a decent scanner.surely not a $350. scanner but gets me in the ballpark so to speak of.
guess this is mute point sense you've explained I need more than a scanner.

This no throttle situation could be what 2 issues either the pedal or the throttle body.

Well lets say 3 issues add the ECM.so will this $25. scanner I link to narrow down to the part or just tell me what I already know?

will be studying CANBus) and what PID's are available.

Thanks AZswiss

Attachments

• example resize 200.jpg
    example resize 200.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
What device are you planning to install any app on to? Torque Pro (well worth the $4.95 cost) is compatible with Android 4.1 & above. Car Scanner is also good. The adapter looks like it should work. That said, trust but verify; confirm the app and adapter work with each other and your device before hitting BUY!

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
The tablet I have is marshmello 6 operating sys. it's a cheap $99.simbans chinese made tablet, haven't used it much but it still works. it's blue tooth and wifi I have paired it w/ a ozoozie angle 2 speaker an the fish finder.
yeah the interface is compatiable w/ they say Andriod not 100% sure yet if it'll be compatable w/ marshmello 6.
looks like andriod is now up to 10. thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the app, any app, is compatible with your version of Android, it will be available to download from Play Store. If not, you won't see it. Torque seems to be compatible with 4.1+ so you should be good.

A popular ELM327 is the Veepeak.

After getting it, @TJBaker57 should be able to help with how to set up to read the pedal sensor and output to the throttle (however he's probably not familiar with this model truck).

I looked closely an observed someone attempted to splice 4 wires at the fly by wire throttle body.also # 2 cylinders fuel injector plug was disconnected.
I would highly suspect this however, if disconnected or not wired properly, it should throw a code. The disconnected injector would have thrown a misfire code too. Didn't you test drive it before buying it?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
If the app, any app, is compatible with your version of Android, it will be available to download from Play Store. If not, you won't see it. Torque seems to be compatible with 4.1+ so you should be good.

A popular ELM327 is the Veepeak.

After getting it, @TJBaker57 should be able to help with how to set up to read the pedal sensor and output to the throttle (however he's probably not familiar with this model truck).
so is this the relearn when swapping throttle electrical parts?

I'm hopping the app. will pin point the fault to the exact part.

excellent when AZswiss mentioned getting the interface from @TJBaker57 confussed me. I thought buy it from TJBaker.so he's a member willing to share knowledge excellent basicely it's the LQ4
found in multiple trucks.
I would highly suspect this however, if disconnected or not wired properly, it should throw a code. The disconnected injector would have thrown a misfire code too. Didn't you test drive it before buying it?
Sounds good on the interface guess I try the torque app. And report back.yes you correct I did see torqure lite at google play store thats where I got the incompatiable message.

I believe that someone installed a gmt360 6 cylinder throttle body
did they have fly by wire? the TB on the H2 has the longish horizontal cylindacal houseing I think that holds the electric engine for butteryfly.
6cylinder tb.jpg

would be nice if the 07 Saab97x 5.3 throttle body an pedal is same as
saab tb.jpg

the 07hummer H2 but they appear a tad differt an the 5.3 hole is probally smaller.
h2 tb.png
no bought sight unsean in person I was to far away.the carfax says it only has 132K miles hopefull that not all offroad miles.tires didn't appear to be extreme off road bt a middle type half street half off road.
Thanks Mooseman

Attachments

• 6cylinder tb.jpg
    6cylinder tb.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • h2 tb.png
    h2 tb.png
    491.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I believe someone put the incorrect throttle body on this H2 TB on bottom of image
the top one is the correct PN.

Attachments

• right an wrong TB.jpg
    right an wrong TB.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 6

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I resolved the throttle issue. by securing those sloppyly spliced wires an plugging in the #2injector wire.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
update:
Color codes of wires out of throttle bottle into harness one connection appears sketchy .

TB out yellow to yellow in harness.

TB out brown to brown in harness

TB out violet to violet in harness

TB out white to white in harness

TB out grey to grey in harness

TB out black to black in harness

TB out green to green in harness

TB out black w/ white tracer to orange in harness appears sketchy or is this normal?

Thanks for advice

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online