Gate Leakage

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, the 9-7's tailgate is allowing water into the rear cargo area, well I presume it's the gate. I went out to find the stuff in the little storage cubby COVERED in water. Not puddled but the dry golf shirt put in there last night is pretty damp. Everything looks pretty together, all the seals look good. I've sifted through threads here, on ORTB and the OS for threads on this but none of them seem to have been solved and I'm really sick of my stuff being wet.

Any ideas folks?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have the same issue, probably have had the issue for some time now, but my TB has always been garage kept until this past year.

I would say one of the seals for the liftgate has failed based on where I am seeing water/rust and other threads that I have read through. Is your striker rusty? Mine is. After a heavy rain had stopped, I opened up the liftgate, removed the rear scuff plate and seen water was laying under the foam padding that is under the carpet on the driver's side. So I am definitely getting water in from the liftgate.

I plan on removing the interior trim panel on the liftgate to see if I can see if there is any more rust inside of the liftgate. Plus that should give me a better idea of where the water is coming from.

This is the rear scuff plate.
2014-02-28 08.57.22 (800x400).jpg

From what I have rear, the seals on the lift gate need to be replaced.
Item #22 and #33.

060517TS17-153.JPG

I also read that the seals around the license plate pocket can allow water into the liftgate and then into the cargo area.
Items #5 and #6.

041018TS17-156.JPG

Last edited:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There have also been reports of water coming in thru the roof rack holes. IIRC, the water ran down inside the "D" pillar and under the carpeting.

Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
I could be wrong guys so don't quote me on this but I have heard of people talking about their windshield washer fluid hose that runs to the back glass leaking into the cargo area apparently the hose runs under but I'll look more into this to make sure

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I could be wrong guys so don't quote me on this but I have heard of people talking about their windshield washer fluid hose that runs to the back glass leaking into the cargo area apparently the hose runs under but I'll look more into this to make sure

You are correct. Some of the threads that I read through also mentioned that the washer fluid hose can leak and cause the carpet to get wet in the cargo area. At least for me, I use the orange RainX washer fluid and the water I am seeing is clear.

Another issue I read mentioned is that the seal around the rear quarter windows will allow water in.

It is a tough issue to track down as it seems no matter where the water is coming in at, it all pools in the storage compartment in the floor. I can definitely say with mine is that the water is getting in through the liftgate somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derrick Rucker

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Is your striker rusty?

It looks brand new. It's raining now and I don't really care to go out in the dark and look at what it could be. I will mention though, I have my rear facing amber strobes mounted on the trim back there, and I'm curious as to if they may be causing the issue. I'm going to go to the Chevy Dealer tomorrow, tell them I have a trailblazer, and order the seals.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It looks brand new. It's raining now and I don't really care to go out in the dark and look at what it could be. I will mention though, I have my rear facing amber strobes mounted on the trim back there, and I'm curious as to if they may be causing the issue. I'm going to go to the Chevy Dealer tomorrow, tell them I have a trailblazer, and order the seals.

From what I have read, a rusty striker is due to the license plate pocket seals. The liftgate seals looked pretty pricey online, cannot imagine what the dealership will charge.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
From what I have read, a rusty striker is due to the license plate pocket seals. The liftgate seals looked pretty pricey online, cannot imagine what the dealership will charge.

Called up my local Chevy dealer today. Ready? Better sit for this one. $148 for the gate seals, and $56 for the glass seal. They're unavailable though Chevrolet. So I'll be calling another dealer tomorrow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You telling them it's for a Saab? They get kinda twitchy when they hear that name. I just use a TB of the same year for parts. But if they say it's unavailable, then they are discontinued for all product lines.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Called up my local Chevy dealer today. Ready? Better sit for this one. $148 for the gate seals, and $56 for the glass seal. They're unavailable though Chevrolet. So I'll be calling another dealer tomorrow.

:eek: Damn, that is expensive. On the site, www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com , which is where I got the exploded drawings from, offers the liftgate seal for $89.38 and glass seal for $34.65. Shipping is $30 for a total cost of $154.

www.gmpartsgiant.com Liftgate seal is $78.83 and glass seal is $30.99, total $110. Not sure about shipping though.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
You telling them it's for a Saab? They get kinda twitchy when they hear that name. I just use a TB of the same year for parts. But if they say it's unavailable, then they are discontinued for all product lines.

Nah man I know better then that, I said 2005 Trailblazer SWB. I always do that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a feeling it's not the weatherstripping unless it has obvious damage. A good way to search for the leak would be to have someone run a hose outside on it while you look inside.

I also remember from the OS someone that had rust under the roof rack and allowed water in that way.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'm going to do some investigating. It's 90 here today and I don't feel particularly up to standing in the sun for that purpose.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
It rained like hell here last night and like usual, the right side carpet and the underfloor storage units are both damp. The inside d-pillar is also wet. I investigated for a bit and I believe I found the culprit.

In @dmanns67's lovely schematic, it's #38, except right side over left.

I'm gonna slap some silicone on it and wait for the forecasted rain on Tuesday.

IMG_1243.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online