Gas gauge goes up & down

pejeeper

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
05 TB LS with 4.2 and 107k miles

I ran the gas tank down until the gas light came on (I know, not a great idea, but I rarely have ever done it).
Filled up this morning and the gas gauge is staying on the red E bar triggering the low fuel light and chime. If I rock the TB, the gauge comes up to 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4, hold for a few seconds, but drops right back down to E. The longer I rock it, the higher it'll rise.
I recall reading posts a while back about gas gauge issues but can't find the threads. All other gauges work fine as did the gas gauge until this fill up.
Sending unit? DIY repair or shop repair? I know how many miles I can get per tank and my rough MPG, but I'd prefer to have a working gauge as I'm not the only person who drives it.

Thanks for any help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like the sender. If it was the stepper motor in the gauge, it wouldn't trigger the light and warning. As for if this can be a DIY project, depends on your abilities. I'd say it's a good 3 hour job. Does require to disconnect the electrical connectors, evap lines, fuel lines and filler hose before dropping the tank. The next decision is to replace only the sender or the whole fuel pump assembly. Fuel pump might be fine now but may die soon if it has a lot miles so it might be worth it to replace it now and not have to do it again.

Reactions: pejeeper

pejeeper

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
After thinking on it all day, I remembered Chevybsent me a letter about this problem. I have the letter and I'm still hosed. Chevy offered to cover half the repair cost on a 10 year / 120k mile basis. My 2005 is outside the 10 year limit.

After consulting my Hanes manual...I could do it...given I had the time...it would not be a 3 hour job for me. And what am I going to break doing the repair, yeah, that's how my luck works.

Going to see if I can sweet talk my local Chevy service manager...if not, then on to another mechanic.

May as well replace pump and sender. No sense in putting an old pump back in...

pejeeper

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
ACDelco MU1655 fuel pump OE with fuel level sensor
$242 from Rock Auto, over $350 in auto stores...wonder what the dealer charges?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I dunno but it's usually more. I have had a few surprises.

pejeeper

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Amazon has it for the same price, Prime shipping too.

Going to pick up a new lock ring as well. Can't hurt. And it's only $10.

Reactions: Mooseman

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Well it may have been working fine for a few days, but that doesn't mean it was just a hiccup with the sending unit. It'll need replacing if you wish to cease the needle acting up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What happens with the sender is the contact fingers wear down but may work fine at a particular level, especially when full because the float can't move.

pejeeper

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Still on the same tank of gas and the gas needle is matching the mileage of my typical driving. I'll fill it again mid to late week around 250 miles, that's normally a 1/4 tank. We'll see what the gauge does then. I just need to to work until late summer. Between replacing the front door and having my deck rails and pool gates replaced...I'm a little broke.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online