Fuel Tank Repair

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I'm going to do the filler neck repair as shown in the video I found here. Thanks for that, it made it easy to find the parts.

I just had to share a photo of what I'm starting with so others can roll their eyes with me.

Capture.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Glad that video helped you :thumbsup:

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Ignorant people really shouldn't be allowed to post anything but questions online!

When I dropped the tank I learned the rollover valve had already been removed. Someone saw the video that redneck plumber posted on youtube of him repairing his gm tank for $5 using a giant hose barb.

There was no way to keep all the dried plumbers putty from dropping inside the tank but I reached in through the pump hole and wiped out what I could. At least the pump has an intake filter.

On top of that, they split the rubber hose between the tank and metal filler pipe with a box knife to get it off the filler neck and just put it back on! They coated it with rubber cement and some 3" wide vinyl tape.

I didn't think I need that so I had to order one. For now I wrapped the old one with black tape, not to stop it from leaking but to protect my hands from the sticky crap on it, and put it back in until I get the new one. At least I can change that out without dropping the tank.

One small miracle, the charcoal canister is still dry inside. The pump retainer ring looks like new. It has a hammered paint finish so I think it was replaced at some point. The old o-ring was pretty rotten though.

Redneck Engineering.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcwest38

Members Online

No members online now.