Front Wipers not working after remote start install

blitzedr6

Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
I recently installed an Autopage remote start along with a ADS-DLSL GM1 bypass. Everything was working great until today when I went to turn on my front wipers and they did not come on. The wipers will not work when starting with the remote start or starting normally with the key on any speed setting. The rear wipers do work. I checked the #33 fuse located below the rear seat and it is not blown.

Tonight I plan to check for 12v at the #33 fuse. Others on the forum have said that if I am not getting 12V here then the problem is the ignition switch.

To get the wipers to start working i did the following:
Pulled the knee cover over the ignition harness and pushed/wiggled the wires in a couple of separate wire harness located under the steering wheel listed below. The wipers began to work as normal. Put everything back together and drove the truck this morning and the wipers did not work.

The wires I pressed on to get the wipers to work are going to:
3-Data link connector (OBD II plug?)
4-Splice Pack
1-Turn signal/hazard flasher module
AND
The wires going into the left side of steering wheel near the wiper control switch which i believe is the ignition harness?

The colprit has to be one of the wires going into the wiper switch at the steering wheel.
Can someone out there tell me the color of wire for the wipers that I should be looking for?

Attachments

• 120509541.jpg
    120509541.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 8

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rear fuse #33 is fed from the ignition switch ACCY/RUN circuit. The front wipers are the only major function fed from that circuit.

The wiper's HIGH speed control uses a slightly different control path through the multifunction switch, to provide some redundancy in case of a single wire break. If yours don't work even on high, the problem may be elsewhere. Like ground G102.

Have you downloaded the manuals yet that have some schematics in them for the system?

Does the front washer pump work?

The wires to the multifunction switch are Gray for the control voltage, but I don't know if it's 5 or 12V. Dark Blue for the high speed signal. Pink for lower speed and washer control. Pink uses the resistor selection circuit design, not a normal straightforward one wire per speed concept.

blitzedr6

Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
the roadie said:
Rear fuse #33 is fed from the ignition switch ACCY/RUN circuit. The front wipers are the only major function fed from that circuit.

The wiper's HIGH speed control uses a slightly different control path through the multifunction switch, to provide some redundancy in case of a single wire break. If yours don't work even on high, the problem may be elsewhere. Like ground G102.

Have you downloaded the manuals yet that have some schematics in them for the system?

Does the front washer pump work?

The wires to the multifunction switch are Gray for the control voltage, but I don't know if it's 5 or 12V. Dark Blue for the high speed signal. Pink for lower speed and washer control. Pink uses the resistor selection circuit design, not a normal straightforward one wire per speed concept.

Thank you so much for the reply!

I thought I solved the problem by wiggling around the wires but my problem with the wipers continues to occur sporadically. Sometimes they will work and continue to work until I shut the vehicle off and start it again. The majority of the time they will not come on at all.

This is the only wiring diagram I have for the vehicle besides what is included in the manual regarding the location of the fuse's.
http://rwhickmancpa.com/TB.pdf

This is the guide I followed to install the alarm/remote start
http://rwhickmancpa.com/c3.pdf

I was not able to locate Ground G102 on any of the diagrams. Could you please further explain the location of this ground?

I am guessing the multifunction switch you speak of is the one used to control the speeds of the wipers correct?

When the wipers will not turn on the washer will not work.
When the wipers work as they should the washer will work.

The rear wiper works all the time.

During the install for the alarm I did not touch any wires going into the steering wheel. The majority of the wires went to the ignition harness.
I also installed a relay to eliminate the ABS, E-Brake lights coming on the dash when starting with the remote. Before wiring the relay, along with the dash lights coming on, my AC/Heater blower would continue to run even when the vehicle was turned off and the key was removed. Below is how I wired the relay to power both accessory wires:

Pin 86---wire to ground
Pin 85---wire to brown wire (branch off the alarm brown wire) to pick relay
Pin 87---wire to orange wire @ ignition harness
Pin 30---wire to constant 12v (I used the power wire going to amp powering a subwoofer I added)

I have been lucky that it has not rained and I would really like to correct this issue before I need the wipers. All input appreciated!

blitzedr6

Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
ugh I thought someone this problem corrected itself because my wipers began to operate as normal. Yesterday while driving in the rain the wipers turned on and ran for a few minutes while driving and then suddenly stopped working in the middle of the cycle and they stayed in middle of the window. Now I cannot get them to go down. If they stopped like this while driving then there must be a short somewhere correct?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blitzedr6 said:
If they stopped like this while driving then there must be a short somewhere correct?
No, shorts usually blow fuses if they involve a power wire and ground. An OPEN circuit on the 12V power to the wiper control module (built into the motor assembly) could leave the arms stranded. The auto-park feature of the motor/control assembly ensures that no external control signal can leave the wipers in the middle of the glass. I'd take out the assembly and check it for internal grease or corrosion. And check the connector for power.

G201 is the master dashboard area ground. Run a search and you'll find pictures. Sorry I misremembered it as G102 before. Bottom of the center stack, passenger side, just at the edge pf the carpeting.

View attachment 26100

Attachments

• Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg
    Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online