Front sway bar link broken

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I noticed some ugly sounds coming from the front when going over a bump. Like a "clunk" sound...so I took a look under and noticed one of the plastic links was missing its top bolt/nut connecting it to the sway bar. Suggestions on replacements? Thanks

smt 59

ChriSS K said:
I noticed some ugly sounds coming from the front when going over a bump. Like a "clunk" sound...so I took a look under and noticed one of the plastic links was missing its top bolt/nut connecting it to the sway bar. Suggestions on replacements? Thanks

You will need to replace both sides as well stabilizer bar bushings, if you are staying with OEM then go to your local jobber and go with moog . If you are a "DIY" person this is relatively easy, remove and replace. You should check the rest of the front end as well-ball joints, tie rod ends, struts as all these will clunk if they are worn. There are how to threads on this site if required. Hope this helps.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
If the link itself isn't broken (they are not plastic, btw), get a grade 8 or 10 bolt and lock nut (nylock or the like) and bolt it back up.

I had both of my links break on me. One was shortly after I bought it from the dealer (with extended aftermarket warranty) and it was replaced. Looked pretty thin and weak, but I wasn't paying... A couple of weeks later, I hear that same rattling sound and it was broken again. Took it back and the service writer had them change both sides with a heavier sway bar end link. No problems since.

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
All fixed guys. Just quick picked up a kit from Napa. Didnt want to leave it too long. Was surprised to see that the factory connection piece was plastic.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Can you post a picture? Not sure what would be plastic.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the pics. Makes sense now, but I've never seen one with a "jacket" like that. The bushings will be poly, but I can't imagine anything else being anything other than steel.

Mine mounts different than that. Mine has 2 90* angles. My '98 GMC truck had ones like you show. I'm surpised that they are different from Chevy to GMC. Or maybe it's a model year difference.

20140328_195552_zpspyex0cmq.jpg

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
C-ya said:
Thanks for the pics. Makes sense now, but I've never seen one with a "jacket" like that. The bushings will be poly, but I can't imagine anything else being anything other than steel.

Mine mounts different than that. Mine has 2 90* angles. My '98 GMC truck had ones like you show. I'm surpised that they are different from Chevy to GMC. Or maybe it's a model year difference.

20140328_195552_zpspyex0cmq.jpg

I was surprised myself to see it was plastic, but it's all good now.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Must be a model year difference. My '05 Voy has the same as C-Ya's.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
ChriSS K said:
I was surprised myself to see it was plastic, but it's all good now.

Must have been for that plush Denali ride! :wootwoot:

Glad it is good to go now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It was indeed a late model year change.

Somebody said: "Why do we put in TWO 90 degree ball joints in these things that wear out and annoy the heck out of the customers?"

And the answer for years was: "So the dealers can charge owners $500 to change out two of em when they wear out, silly boy!"

Finally the dealers got together and stopped sending their bribes back to HQ, and GM responded by putting in a new design that was guaranteed to break while the warranty was still in force. But it opened the door to the bulletproof ones you can now buy on the aftermarket, so all is well.

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
The_Roadie said:
It was indeed a late model year change.

Somebody said: "Why do we put in TWO 90 degree ball joints in these things that wear out and annoy the heck out of the customers?"

And the answer for years was: "So the dealers can charge owners $500 to change out two of em when they wear out, silly boy!"

Finally the dealers got together and stopped sending their bribes back to HQ, and GM responded by putting in a new design that was guaranteed to break while the warranty was still in force. But it opened the door to the bulletproof ones you can now buy on the aftermarket, so all is well.

I get that the auto industry "needs" things to break, but come on... plastic suspension?? I get that there is a bolt thru it, but once those bushings turn into rocks which happens quickly....it's over. Shame on them....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online