Front seat bottom cushion swap?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys,
I didn't find anything on this topic specifically. I'm trying to find / figure out if it might be possible to swap the drivers / passenger front seat bottoms only in an '06 Envoy?

My drivers seat is sagging or squished down on the left side. This is causing pressure to be put on the plastic side cover where the seat adjuster switches are) so it keeps cracking. I've replaced it twice so far and is broken again.

The passenger side seat is in great shape, the foam is still puffy enough that if I could swap them, it would alleviate the problem.

I realize that it's possible to remove the cover from seat foam and steam it to make it regain its shape, but I think it would be easier if I could just swap the seat bottoms.

The problem is I don't know of that's even possible? I mean without too much monkeying around with it.

Worst case, if I have to replace the foam, does anyone have any ideas on where to get it for cheap? I dont have any salvage yards near me. I could remove the cover and add some more foam, but that would be my least favorite option.

Thank You!

Ps. I bought some seat covers for this car about 9 years and 200,000+ miles ago and they are still totally intact and still look acceptable.

Not sure if I can mention the name of the company here or not?

I have no affiliation and I get nothing for recommending them, but just wanted to turn you guys on to them because they've really worked out great and except for the droopy drivers seat, my seats still look almost new.
I've gone through the universal covers from auto parts stores, a d they are a waste of money IMO. Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
unfortunately, I have looked into this, and it doesnt work. Different cut where the seat belt is.

Reactions: jmonica

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just bear in mind, if you have heated seats, you will likely have to replace the heated seat heater.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Just bear in mind, if you have heated seats, you will likely have to replace the heated seat heater.
unfortunately, I have looked into this, and it doesnt work. Different cut where the seat belt is.
Dang it. I had a feeling there would be some reason why it wouldn't work, as usual. So no way to maybe rig it to make it work? Maybe cut out the seat belt cut and fill the other one with foam? I understand this isn't the right way to fix it. At this point just looking for cheap alternatives.

Question, just curious why you would have to replace the seat heater instead of being able to either plug it in to the other side or swap them?

Obviously I'm ignorant to how they are set up which is why I'm asking. Are the heaters glued to the foam?

I may just take the plunge, remove the seat bottom, remove the cover and attempt to either steam the foam or add some filler to get it to not sag so much.

Famous last words... What's the worst that can happen?

Honestly the seat is the least of my problems which is why I was hoping for a quick fix.

Thank You TollKeeper!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember seeing someone back in the day take a passenger foam and cutting it to make it work. I've seen people use electric meat carvers on foam.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I remember seeing someone back in the day take a passenger foam and cutting it to make it work. I've seen people use electric meat carvers on foam.
Ahh ok. Thanks. I was just looking at the seats. I feel like I could make it work without too much butchering.

I happen to have an electric carving knife that I never use for food. Yes! Another new garage tool for the box!

Thanks again Mooseman! I'll post pics if I can get the cushion swap to work.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Video from @MAY03LT gives a Whole New Meaning to the Expression... PITA... in more ways than one ...while successfully Demonstrating HOW this Job Gets Done:

Should have shown THIS One...First...

And for Full Size GM & GMC Trucks & SUVs (Circa Year 2000+):

Last edited:

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Watch some of this guys videos. This happens to be his most recent:

I asked The Seat Shop last year, and they had no plans to make a DuraFoam seat bottom for the TB's - until I mentioned the Trailblazer SS's had the same bottom and were a popular platform to be restored. So who knows, there's still a chance they'll mold one!

In the meantime, we're stuck repairing.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I had the flattened foam problem on 2 driver seats. I cut slices of foam from an old gm backseat and glued them to the flattened foam and restored the normal contours. Then I trimmed the original foam where it was bulging on the side. This can be done with the seat in the truck.
Some gm engineering lady explained that this is a biodegradable soybean oil based foam. So rats will chew on it and it won't be as durable as the old foam.....
but it's better eh?
4 years later and it hasn't deteriorated again. Maybe it's because I don't drag my ass across the bolster???

Last edited:

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I had the flattened foam problem on 2 driver seats. I cut slices of foam from an old gm backseat and glued them to the flattened foam and restored the normal contours. Then I trimmed the original foam where it was bulging on the side. This can be done with the seat in the truck.
Some gm engineering lady explained that this is a biodegradable soybean oil based foam. So rats will chew on it and it won't be as durable as the old foam.....
but it's better eh?
Thanks. I think I'm going going to try to do the same. I'm also going g to try steaming it to see if it vrings ot back close the original shape, though I'm not super optimistic it will work.

I'm going to give it a try since I just happen to have a steamer that I've never used.

I'll post results in case anyone is curious. Thanks again!

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Amazon carries replacement Dorman Brand and Dura-Foam Blanks for the GM - GMC Trucks that just might be a decent stand-in for the OEM versions in the Envoys and Trailblazers.Take a *Peek* at these images ...and see what you think:

From Dorman for $70.00:

View attachment 109076View attachment 109077View attachment 109078View attachment 109079View attachment 109080

From Dura-Foam for around $150.00:

View attachment 109070View attachment 109071View attachment 109072View attachment 109073View attachment 109074View attachment 109075
Nice, thank You. I would gladly pay 70 bucks if I knew it was going to be a good fit. It doesn't list the envoy or trailblazer though, so I'd be concerned about the cover fitting. I'm going to go through the reviews later and see if anyone has used it for the envoy. One person asked the question and the reply was, "it will fit if your vehicle has the same seat." Gee what a brilliant answer. SMH... thank You again for the info!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably won't fit as-is as they are bigger.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Probably won't fit as-is as they are bigger.
Yea, I don't think it will fit. All of the ones I've found are about the same price as the oem one you linked to, $170'ish. I think I'm going to try to puff ot up with steam and maybe add some additional foam to try and prop it up. If only I had a salvage yard closer than 4 hours away... thank You Mooseman!

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online