front driver side rumble

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I am having a constant rumbling sound coming from the from driver side. It is really noticeable at speeds over 30 MPH. I originally thought it was a bearing hub. When I was replacing the hub, I rotated the CV axle one complete turn. There was a grinding sound coming from around the boot on the differential side. I could only hear the grinding for about 22.5 degrees of the turn. The grinding would happen in the same spot one every turn. Does this mean my CV shaft need to be replaced or something else?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Usually CV shafts click when the joints get worn. Rumbling sounds more like a bearing. Have you checked your front diff oil level? One thing it could be is the CV shaft stub has a rough spot in it that you're hearing as it goes around, but usually that happens along with the shaft bearing in the diff getting worn at the same time. You may need a new CV shaft and a shaft bearing. I don't know what's involved with changing that bearing out unfortunately.

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
The differential fluid level was fine. I did change it when I was doing the wheel bearing.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It may require yanking the CV axle to see how things look on that shaft stub then. Don't worry, yanking the axle won't make you lose much gear oil at all. It would only need lightly topped off at most.

Reactions: coolasice

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I still can't pin point this problem. It sounds like I have one meaty tire on my Envoy.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Worst comes to worst replace your cv axle and see what happens. They need replaced every few years anyway.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Have you pulled the axle to inspect the bearing in the diff? Does it make the sound in 4wd also?

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I haven't pulled the axle off yet. Id does make the noise in 4wd. It also makes to noise when I am coasting or have my foot on the gas pedal.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Have you rotated the tires to rule out a bad tire?... does your cv shafts move like this one?

Machoman

Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Turns out that the rumbling sound was a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side. I am not sure why the sound was coming from the opposite side as the bearing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is actually how it typically works.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online