Front diff question

turbottime

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
My 2002 Bravada AWD front diff is not working, if the intermediate shaft splines are sheared at the disconnect coupler would the driver side wheel not still be driven when 4x4 is activated ?
Havent taken it apart yet, just had all 4 wheels up and tc seems to be working as the front ds is turning but the front wheels dont turn, do hear noise in the disconect coupler area. The passenger wheel or front drive shaft do not rotate when the driver side wheel is rotated.
Any help on this appreciated.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is an open differential so yes, if the intermediate shaft is busted (or the guts of the disconnect are) then it won't spin the driver front wheel.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Welcome to the world of fifteen year old AWD systems. I have two Bravada's with the same issues. On one I accidently installed the wrong ratio front diff. So I pulled the drive shaft, front axles and fuse # 8. Very nice two wheel drive truck now. the other does the same as yours and I haven't had time to take it apart to see what's broken. But since I have two more broken diffs on the shelf in my back room I suspect I'll find another broken one. ~BOB

turbottime

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
Just to follow up, got awd working, was worn intermediate shaft and coupler.
I would suggest anyone removing the disconnect hit it with some PB blaster a day ahead of removing it, mine came out easy, the one at the wrecker was a nightmare. Also you can do this just by knocking the control arm up off the upper ball joint,remove the 2 screws holding on the brake line to the control arm,remove brake caliper and abs line at control arm.
If not awd take the actuator out for more room for cv shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_7324.JPG
    IMG_7324.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7330.JPG
    IMG_7330.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for the update. It gives me hope that my silver Bravada could have the same issue as yours. ~BOB

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online