FIXED. Random P0300 misfire gremlin

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Hey there guys, been a while, but here I am with some gremlins.

So the other day I had about 1/4 tank of gas left, went and filled it up at a station I dont normally go to.. Go to work on monday, get there and back no problem. Start up on monday, get a weird idle. Drive to work, have to pull over cuz it got really bad, like shaking bad. Use my Blue Driver as soon as I start seeing a flashing CEL. It tells me p0300 random misfire. Just started this job so I need to go in for it, the CEL goes away on start up and evens out. Next morning, same things, The CEL comes on for a brief few, then goes out, no further bad idle or misfires, it basically would come on flash for a few, would have some bad idle, and then would eventually go away within a few minutes of driving (yes I know it is bad to drive with a flashing CEL misfire, but I have no other choice and I dont get first paycheck until Next month) -
I was thinking since it basically goes away and stays away for a while that I might have picked up bad gas, So i put a can of seafoam in tank and filled it with gas from a known good place (tank was half full before filling). The issue went away for a day. I was thinking maybe its just a cold morning thing, but it has warmed up and it suddenly started doing it during the afternoon. Drove it from Boise to Nampa, about 15 miles with the CEL giving me grief and just saying P0300 pending. and as soon as I get home to start more testing, the misfire and CEL goes away.
The code is always a pending, but it doesnt stick around. Only once has it given a definitive code of P0302.
Im broke at the moment so cant throw money at it.
What I have done so far is, run cleaner through thinking it was a fuel issue, got more gas at different station.
I checked lines for vacuum leak, not seeing anything.
Pulled intake box off, its clean.
Didnt touch TB, its a little dirty, but not that bad.
I checked some of the spark plugs, they look normal. I think I changed them out around 110K, we have 160k on it now.
Checked coil packs for cylinder 2 and 3 since I did get that one brief pending misfire in cylinder 2 code (that went away after like 60 seconds).
I swapped the spark plug and coil packs from 2 to 3, to see if I would get a cylinder 3 misfire code to show it was one of those, but I have only gotten p0300 pending since then.

it is just so random when it does it and for how long it does it.
I dont have a lot of tools to check stuff, nor money to buy said tools. I have $500 at it has to last me another 3 weeks.
When I was running the scanner I was doing live feed as well.
O2 sensors are operating as normal.
I am still using more fuel than normal cuz the estimated mpg is low.
The hg of intake manifold ranges from 7-25. When it was bad idle and miss it was about 10, and when it went away i was sitting about 9 but dont think tha tmeans much. I dont recall what the average is supposed to be.

I did pull the MAP sensor and cleaned it, gave it a good spraying, as soon as I did it gave me a p0107 circuit low, probably just cuz I pulled it off.

I dont know guys, gremlins hitting at the worst of times.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
The hg of intake manifold ranges from 7-25. When it was bad idle and miss it was about 10, and when it went away i was sitting about 9 but dont think tha tmeans much. I dont recall what the average is supposed to be.
On most engines vacuum at idle should be in the range of 15-20 in Hg (assuming idle at 600-700 RPM). Any idea how fast the engine was running when it had the "bad idle" and 9-10 in Hg reading (was it running slower than usual)? Are you able to look at the fuel trim data (short term & long term)? If so, what do the STFT's & LTFT's look like? Any variation between cylinders?

Edit: How many miles on the engine? Any prior issues?

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Engine was sitting between 600-650 rpm, even with bad idle, the rpms never really changed.
Did not look at the fuel trims, didnt have it selected on app. I will do so next time I drive.

Engine has about 160k on it. No real prior issues, its been a strong champ, it has a need for the water pump to be replaced soon figure I would change out the fan clutch as well when I had to the time and money. I noticed the coolant was abit low the other day. Checked the oil, no cream, and none of the coils and plugs had any liquid in them, tiny bit on underside of water pump. So i suspect a tiny leak thats been on going

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here are few ideas for Your consideration:

(1) P0300 issues... more so on Specific Cylinders can occur when... as a By-Product of LEAN Air/Fuel Mixtures...the Coil Over Plugs will attempt to provide VERY High Secondary Voltage that will "Bounce" Back though into the Primary Coil and Overheat the COP ...AND... the Oscillating Voltage WILL Seek an Alternative Ground. This is so powerful a Force that it will attempt to bypass Arcing in between the Spark Plug Gap... and blow a hole clean through the COP Plastic and Rubber Boot... leaving Carbon Traces while seeking to find Ground in the Aluminum Cylinder Head. Give those COPs a Real Graduated Eye-Ball during a second look... because THIS is what the symptom of a Failed or Failing Coil looks like:
CARBONTRACING.jpg

(2) It might seem logical to suspect that some of your EFIs are performing poorly. But if the Fuel Pump is on its way out and is either incapable of spinning at a high enough RPM or if the Commutators are "Gapping"... when the Engine is at Idle... that is the period of the Greatest Vacuum and the Lowest amount of Fuel being Atomized and getting misted into the cylinders. When conditions like this remain this LEAN for too long... well, you know the rest. Lowered Fuel Pressure may cause the EFIs to *Dribble* out the Fuel rather than perform with a Powerful Spray. Straight Liquid Fuel will NOT Mix well with inhaled Air and thus... It Will NOT Burn. Engine Stalling can be the result.

(3) The Easiest Test for this is to use a Fuse Buddy Loop in the Fuel Pump Fuse Location and employ a Low Amp Clamp to read the Electric Motor Pulsations on your Laptop Computer with the FREE PICO 6 Automotive Software Suite and PICO-Scope Model #2204A Oscilloscope with a Low Amp Clamp. THIS is what the comparison between a Bad Fuel Pump Wave Form and a Known GOOD Fuel Pump Wave Form looks like. By the way... THIS completely non-invasive Method of Diagnosing a Bad Fuel Pump BEATS the ordinary Method of just performing a Fuel Pump R&R either an Just-A-Guess or from having an Abundance of Caution, Time and Money... Hands Down:

Eric "O" from SMA (South Main Auto) shows us precisely How to Do This Test:

This is Very BAD Known Fuel Pump Wave Form:

BADFUELPUMPWAVEFORM.jpg

This is a GOOD Known Fuel Pump Wave Form:

GOODKNOWNFUELPUMPWAVEFORM.jpg

And this is a Over-Under Side By Side Comparison:

BADVSGSOODFUELPUMPWAVRFORM.jpg

(4) You can further isolate down the errant Cylinder involved by checking the Historical Mis-Fire Counts per Cylinder and see if that particular one flags to a Bad Coil.

(5) Usually, having Bad Compression ...Bad enough to cause Misfires will NOT be seen universally in ALL Cylinders... and its onset is often so gradual that we hardly notice it. But, with our Aging, High Mileage Engines, the only way to Rule it OUT is to perform a Dry-Wet Compression Test... which thankfully is fairly easy and straightforward to perform on the GM-GMC Atlas LL8 4.2L Engines.

(6) By using a Pico-Scope Coil Over Plug PADDLE with the PICO-Scope Kit ...you can likewise non-invasively examine the COPs performances (and FAILURES) ... too:

51TGrogggzL._AC_SL1001_.jpg51mdJvFJRnL._AC_SL1001_.jpg71BZFWRluaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg613Ob14uxPL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The Basic PICO-Scope Oscilloscope Kit:

81LhPMrDpYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
So, morning update:
ST fuel would go from -15 up to 10 on start. average was between -10 and -4.
LT started with -14 to 1 on start, average while running stayed constant at -0.8. Didnt move around much.
But on the upside. It finally threw a cylinder code this morning right out the gate after putting some fuel in.

3rd cylinder.
So, since I swapped the coil pack and spark plugs from 2 to 3, then it does isolate what issue could be. Coil pack or Spark plug. Both I can swallow in cost. $90 for a coil pack and like $15 for AC Delco plug.
Soon as autozone opens I will go pick up a coil pack and pop it in.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I know this is a bit Off Topic... But it is SO Good to see you Posting again, Brother. If I had a *Nickel* for every single time that I've either linked to ...or referred to... YOUR Classic "Grounds" Thread... I could Buy an Escalade.

Last edited:

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
So, morning update:
ST fuel would go from -15 up to 10 on start. average was between -10 and -4.
LT started with -14 to 1 on start, average while running stayed constant at -0.8. Didnt move around much.
But on the upside. It finally threw a cylinder code this morning right out the gate after putting some fuel in.

3rd cylinder.
So, since I swapped the coil pack and spark plugs from 2 to 3, then it does isolate what issue could be. Coil pack or Spark plug. Both I can swallow in cost. $90 for a coil pack and like $15 for AC Delco plug.
Soon as autozone opens I will go pick up a coil pack and pop it in.
Solved

Swapped out the Coil pack, CEL went away, drove for about 30 minutes. no more issue. ST and LT fuel seem normal . . . well more stable than what i was seeing. So awesome sauce, swapping those coil packs helped, just hate that I had to keep driving until it threw a hard code.

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
I know this is a bit Off Topic... But is SO Good to see you Posting again, Brother. If I had a *Nickel* for every single time that I've either linked to ...or referred to... YOUR Classic "Grounds" Thread... I could Buy an Escalade.

lol thanks. It has been a while hasnt it. 7 years. Glad it has been able to help others. The platform does have its electrical gremlins for sure. But otherwise it is a rock solid vehicle.

Have you seen the new Trailblazers. They are basically same size as a nissan rogue with a little extra room in the trunk. They tiny.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online