Finally got my Treadwright Pumas

ByCo

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I ordered the 255/70-16 in the regular compound, at 30.3" i figured it would be known "safe" size. They ended up not getting any carcasses in in that size so they called and offered the closest they had on hand in that size, a pair of Michelin X Raidal LT and a pair of Michelin LTX all in Kedge Grip.

They showed up Wed. in the middle of the snow storm here and since my HF tire changer sits outside I didn't get around to start mounting them till the middle of the afternoon Friday. I ran into trouble getting the beads to seat so I only got the fronts done before I ran out of daylight. Right away Sat. morning I ran into more trouble, the right rear rim was stuck to the hub. I went to the left rear and a couple of good kicks and it popped off so I changed it and went back to work on the right. I got my BFH out and a block of wood and worked it over real good, I even told it all about it's mother, little sister and even it's grandmother and that SOB would not budge.:hissyfit: I finally put the lug nuts back on with a bout an 1/8" gap between the nut and the rim and started driving around. It took 2.5 miles of the roughest streets I could find before that mother****** finally popped loose.:mad:

I'm using Counteract Balancing beads, their application chart says this size tire should take 3 ounces to balance but I guessed that since these are a bit heavier than the standard tire it might take more so I ordered two sets of the 3 ounce packages. Good thing I did cause I'm at 4.5 ounces per tire now and I've still got one rear tire that wants to hop a little at 55+. It's supposed to be pretty cold here this week but if it warms up a little next week I'll through another 1.5 ounces each in the rears and that should fix her up.

I think I could have got a few more miles out of these, don't you?:rotfl:

Attachments

• OldShoes.jpg
    OldShoes.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 8
  • NewShoes2.jpg
    NewShoes2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 9
  • NewShoes1.jpg
    NewShoes1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
ByCo said:
I ordered the 255/70-16 in the regular compound, at 30.3" i figured it would be known "safe" size. They ended up not getting any carcasses in in that size so they called and offered the closest they had on hand in that size, a pair of Michelin X Raidal LT and a pair of Michelin LTX all in Kedge Grip.

They showed up Wed. in the middle of the snow storm here and since my HF tire changer sits outside I didn't get around to start mounting them till the middle of the afternoon Friday. I ran into trouble getting the beads to seat so I only got the fronts done before I ran out of daylight. Right away Sat. morning I ran into more trouble, the right rear rim was stuck to the hub. I went to the left rear and a couple of good kicks and it popped off so I changed it and went back to work on the right. I got my BFH out and a block of wood and worked it over real good, I even told it all about it's mother, little sister and even it's grandmother and that SOB would not budge.:hissyfit: I finally put the lug nuts back on with a bout an 1/8" gap between the nut and the rim and started driving around. It took 2.5 miles of the roughest streets I could find before that mother****** finally popped loose.:mad:

I'm using Counteract Balancing beads, their application chart says this size tire should take 3 ounces to balance but I guessed that since these are a bit heavier than the standard tire it might take more so I ordered two sets of the 3 ounce packages. Good thing I did cause I'm at 4.5 ounces per tire now and I've still got one rear tire that wants to hop a little at 55+. It's supposed to be pretty cold here this week but if it warms up a little next week I'll through another 1.5 ounces each in the rears and that should fix her up.

I think I could have got a few more miles out of these, don't you?:rotfl:

They look good! But when I order my treadwrights I am going to go with the wardens or guard dogs...

ByCo

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
The Pume was the only tread design offered in the 255/70R16. After mounting these up I've figured out that the tread width is just as important as the diameter. The 255/70R16 at 30.3" tall and 8" tread width leaves me with 3/4" of clearance diagonally between the tire and the upper ball joint. I think the 245/75R16 Warden at 30.7" tall and 7.9" tread width would fit without any problem. The 245/75R16 Guard Dog at 30.9" tall and 8.2" tread width might not clear the upper ball joint. My budget wouldn't allow me to experiment so I went with what I was sure would fit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online

No members online now.