Finally Found That Sound

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
So for awhile now I've been hearing a rattle on the TB, a while back I tookit to the dealer and they said it was either my end links or my spare tire holder.

Nope it looks like its the ebrake setup in the rotor assembly

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could very well be possible. The small clip that holds the shoe has a tendency of rusting away. Getting a replacement can be a PITA though and the stealership wants $$$ for them. Some brake shoe kits come with them. Had a hard time finding some for my Jimmy. Another possibility is the friction material comes unglued from the shoe. These parking brakes are lame and troublesome. I like the ones with the ratchet screw lever in the caliper piston, using the same pads against the rotor. Would actually work as an emergency brake. Our Montana van has these, no problem at all.

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Mooseman said:
Could very well be possible. The small clip that holds the shoe has a tendency of rusting away. Getting a replacement can be a PITA though and the stealership wants $$$ for them. Some brake shoe kits come with them. Had a hard time finding some for my Jimmy. Another possibility is the friction material comes unglued from the shoe. These parking brakes are lame and troublesome. I like the ones with the ratchet screw lever in the caliper piston, using the same pads against the rotor. Would actually work as an emergency brake. Our Montana van has these, no problem at all.

Well it's going back to the dealer Monday since I have a extended warranty that should cover this.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Code Red said:
Well it's going back to the dealer Monday since I have a extended warranty that should cover this.

I realllly doubt they will cover that under the ext warranty, it more or less comes under the category of "consumable". Never know, could be a part of the linkage but more than likely its the pad or that clip as was mentioned. You would be surprised too, the shoe in there can wear down to nothing, I have seen that alot, even though you would think it would not wear as it just holds the vehicle still, they do wear down quite alot.

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
McGMT said:
I realllly doubt they will cover that under the ext warranty, it more or less comes under the category of "consumable". Never know, could be a part of the linkage but more than likely its the pad or that clip as was mentioned. You would be surprised too, the shoe in there can wear down to nothing, I have seen that alot, even though you would think it would not wear as it just holds the vehicle still, they do wear down quite alot.

you were right,they said it needs a ebrake kit and new shoes, they also said it needed a dust dust shield and they wanted $600, no thanks lol. However they did find a issue with my front diff seal and they are fixing it under warranty.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The dust shield is not a necessary piece. Doesn't really shield much really. E-brake shoes are fairly easy to replace. Just get a kit with the clips included.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Code Red said:
you were right,they said it needs a ebrake kit and new shoes, they also said it needed a dust dust shield and they wanted $600, no thanks lol. However they did find a issue with my front diff seal and they are fixing it under warranty.

If you give the new parts a coat of anti seize it will slow down the rot... Not forever but at least it will last a little longer than normal...

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
found out the front diff job would be 1300 if it wasnt for the warranty

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Code Red said:
found out the front diff job would be 1300 if it wasnt for the warranty

yea, the bills rack up quick on a front diff like these... Probably wouldve cost about 50 bucks if you did it yourself though lol.... 99% is labor... Did they say what seal went?

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
McGMT said:
yea, the bills rack up quick on a front diff like these... Probably wouldve cost about 50 bucks if you did it yourself though lol.... 99% is labor... Did they say what seal went?

not yet, but at least i wont have to, and it only costs me my warranty deductible of 100

Code Red

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
here is what the dealer said about the brakes, and the front diff on the TB

A4951655-64B8-45AE-8393-027FD2903828-7026-000005C5815D9020.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online